Jumping The Shark in Gay Fiction

Hi, Nick, and welcome! Good to see you here.

I totally agree with you on the need to get all the factual details right. I've read at least four or five online gay novels that had scenes set in LA, and I was appalled at the misconceptions most people have of the city.

As one example (and I don't mean to single him out), Josh and I had several discussions on the Southern California scenes during The Least of These. I jumped up and down when he had one chapter where the two teenagers drive from Anaheim to Hollywood, have a meal, explore the tourist sights, and drive back in a couple of hours. Uh-uh. LA travel times are much worse in real life, even during the early 1980s (when Josh's story takes place). But then, they violate reality all the time on the TV series 24, and that's the #1 top-rated Fox drama. So what do I know?

Anyway, Nick, I've read your tips at least 10 times and recommended them to others many times. I wish more people would read your comments and at least think about them if and when they try their hand at writing a story. My hope is, if they're aware of the rules, they can figure out creative ways of working around them.

P.S. Get your ass back to the keyboard and start writing! You're far too good a writer not to be working on your craft.