Can no longer remain logged in

Trab

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My log in is not remembered either since the upgrade. I'm using IE7.

At least I am remembering my password. :icon_cat:

I received an email telling me that WBMS has posted at Spelling and Grammar forum, but when I click on the link his post is not there. Seems to be an old version of the forum. (September 5).

The new spell check cannot find the IE Spell even though I have it installed.

The new undo , redo and other new items on the reply page seem to be there and working.

It'll be good when it is all working. :icon8:

I'm puzzled, because it's working for me. WinXP, IE7, and I didn't need to clear my cache or cookies.

Um, I don't claim any special, divine understanding of the forum software yet. In other words, I don't yet know why it's doing this to people.

All the items work for me: drop-down menus, adding replies, etc.

-- WBMS' reply in the spelling thread isn't there, though. That is due to the wobble during the upgrade process, not a wibble by Wibby. So WBMS, please re-post your riposte when you get a chance to rejoin the chase.

I had this problem at another Invision site after an upgrade. From memory, the problem was caching, but from what you've said that isn't going to be your problem since you've said you've already cleared your cache. I'll see if I can track the details down....

I'm not having this or any of the other problems you've mentioned. It is keeping my login between reboots of my machine, as well as opening and closing browser windows. I'm running on XP using FireFox 2.0 (on this computer).

I'm using IE7 on WinXP Pro Media Center Edition v5.1. The drop-down menus all work fine.

Also, I like the new look of the posting page.

Colin :icon_geek:

I received an email telling me that WBMS has posted at Spelling and Grammar forum, but when I click on the link his post is not there. Seems to be an old version of the forum. (September 5).

WBMS put up a post purely to check that he could post there (since Cole indicated he couldn't). He asked for a moderator to delete the post, which I did. That's why you can't find it.

I'm sure he'll put it back up if you ask nicely, but from memory the post was along the lines of "This is a test. Can a moderator please delete it?"

(all typographical and grammatical errors are my own. WBMS is not responsible for the contents of this post).

Okay, this problem affects ALL browsers on the Mac including IE.

I have tested it on IE, Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, and iCab. If you login, and click remember-me, and then sign off or quit your browser, it doesn't remember you.

(Tested with FF only from here down).

Further, if you delete cookies and try it, it's not fixed.

Further even more, if you empty cache, it's still not fixed.

There's also another bug I noticed. In my profile it says my gender isn't set but I have been unable to find any way to set it the profile edit.

It would appear to me that not all functions are working quite right yet. One place you should be able to change things is your members profile. You can set your gender there, but the drop down menu isn't working.

I've noticed that too, under the profile. In fact, WBMS posted a comment in mine, something to the effect of "This is a comment" and I cannot delete it, nor post one of my own. Wanting to do at least as much for my good buddy Wibby, I tried to post a similar message of admiration and affection to his profile, and find that it won't work for me there either. So, long story short: "Love you too Wibby, but, 'no comment'."

"Its as logged as far as it will go Cap'n"

"Jim Beam ,me up now, ....please!"

"It's gonna blow, Cap'n"

"There's nothin' else I can doo aboot it."

"There has to be a rational explanation for all this." (Spock)

Spock scratched the tip of his ear, in contemplation. Kirk, Chekov, Scott, and Bones watched as he tapped away at the tri-corder.

"Well, Spock?" Kirk said, after twenty irritating minutes.

"Hmm," Spock replied. "I can't stay logged on either."

"Damn!" Kirk stamped his foot, "ready the photon torpedoes!"

I have always had the Remember Me box ticked off, so that when I closed down the window with AD, I could come right back in quickly and effectively. Until last week, that worked, but now, it won't. Whenever I close down the window by moving to another site, say, Codey's World, when I come back here to the AD Forums, I need to log in again. The little box is still ticked for it to remember me. Any suggestions or comments? Anyone else having this problem now?

GA updated their Invision board recently and had the same problem. I've no idea what they did to fix it, but it's ok now. Perhaps it's something in the config or settings? I thought it might have been to do with changing ip addresses, but I've been on all day and still have to log on again if I visit. My 'remember me' box is ticked.

I've noticed that too, under the profile. In fact, WBMS posted a comment in mine, something to the effect of "This is a comment" and I cannot delete it, nor post one of my own. Wanting to do at least as much for my good buddy Wibby, I tried to post a similar message of admiration and affection to his profile, and find that it won't work for me there either. So, long story short: "Love you too Wibby, but, 'no comment'."

I've done more research (thanks Graeme) -- you can fix the profile editing and drop down menus as follows.

1. Navigate to a page that is not AD (and be sure AD is not open in any window or tab). Or better yet close all windows.

2. Open preferences (options)

3. Clear your cache

4. Clear your private data

5. Delete your cookies for AD

6. QUIT BROWSER IMMEDIATELY

7. (PC users ought to reboot. Mac users don't need to but if it makes you happy, go ahead).

8. Everything will be fixed only you still won't stay logged on.

This has been tested on Windows AND Mac platforms using Firefox and Safari. It should work with IE as well.

Now someone damn well better figure out why so many people using so many different systems (Mac, Windoze, FF, IE, Safari) can't stay logged on. Otherwise my fur will be ruffled.

I know this will sound strange. Back when Myr did the upgrade at GA and I did it to The Talon House, I started having login issues with both sites from work. I tried all of the suggestions and still had problems. I figured that maybe my employer had some things in place that was causing the problem for me. Last Monday afternoon, the computer I use at work decide to take a dump on me. I'm still waiting on IT to rebuild it. I'm using one of the other computers in my department and don't have the login issues.

Update: I just my computer back at work and don't seem to have any login issues at this time.

Edited 1/25/07 at 2:52pm by Talonrider

I did as you directed WBMS, and I get all the drop-down menus now, and have added friends and some comments too. Thanks.

Now someone damn well better figure out why so many people using so many different systems (Mac, Windoze, FF, IE, Safari) can't stay logged on. Otherwise my fur will be ruffled.

Great job, Wibby, and thank you.

To answer your question with another question:

Why the blazes are others with similar systems not having the same problems? Something's different and isn't so obvious.

As a further wrinkle, I didn't clear my cache or dump my AD cookies, and it's still working fine for me. I don't really think I'm that special and blessed, but it's nice. :halo:

I don't think most people are switching browsers (IE <--> FF, etc.) which would be one common culprit of confused settings.

"My logic is uncertain, where this board is concerned."

Spock's my hero, but I'm a little more like Bones...and it turns out I have something in common with Sulu. (Still happy that Mr. Takei spoke out.) Oh, and the actor that played Scotty had something in common with me.

I'll bet the Enterprise computer would never have forum problems. I want a PADD.

"Scotty, beam me up!

"Very funny, Scotty, now where are my pants?

"Oh, heheh, nice to meet you too, ensign. Wanna date?"

I am also having the problem, starting back when the current skin was put in place. Last week when the Forum came back after being down all day my login worked fine for a few days and now is not working again.

The past few days it was on a hit or miss basis.

Win XP and using Firefox 2.0.0.1

I am also having the problem, starting back when the current skin was put in place. Last week when the Forum came back after being down all day my login worked fine for a few days and now is not working again.

There was an upgrade a few days after the forums came back up -- that's when these issues started to appear.

I'm not having a lot of trouble, but I will sometimes be asked to sign back in. It is usually when I swap between computers, which are running different versions of Firefox. I believe the latest version of the Invision software includes some security settings that can force a regular re-login -- but I don't think that is the problem here or it would be consistent for everyone.

I find this all kind of surreal....

I haven't noticed any kind of problems with logging on that others are complaining about... although I do believe some are having problems.

I still maintain there must be something with the cookies here as that is common to all systems. I have tried all possibilities here.. I think. I even installed Linux on one of my computers and -using the supplied FireFox version- connected to the forums and -of course- had to log into the system. I just booted the Ubuntu Linux machine again and went to AD Forums and I was automatically logged in again.

I have tried IE6, IE7, FireFox and Opera in Windows XP and even IE6 in Windows 2000 and after the initial log-in required by the new board version's software, stay logged in automatically when I return.

I generaly go into AD Forums... however... FROM the link on the AD Home page when running everything except IE7 on my production computer. In this case, I added a second 'homepage' which was the direct www.awesomedude.com/adboard/index.php URL under the first www.awesomedude.com and they both open at the same time in different tabs. Again never a problem getting in.

As an asside - I noticed some subtle differences in the new version 2.21 of the Invision Power Board software including the solving of the annoying repeat of initial topic post at the top of EACH page of a thread. That is apparently gone.

In my experience, most cookie problems sort themselves out over repeated logins without having to clear the cookies... but sometimes they persist. As a number of people -like me- who are having NO problems it is hard to characterize the problem as a board problem or OS system or browser system.

I will be scouring the IPB forums to see if any others are having these problems but since we have the very latest of the software and it was installed -in the end- by the IPB techs we should probably focus on getting individual members' problems solved one by one.

I wish things were so simple as throwing a switch someplace to solve the problems some of you are having but this is commercial software and there are people being PAID to make it work properly so I pretty much believe if there is a real widespread problem it will be either resolved by a software change or at least a heads up to users on how to cure their own ills.