Can no longer remain logged in

Trab

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mtn Dude has hit it right on with mine too. Exactly the same thing. If I try to go in via awesomedude.com I need to log in, if I go direct to the forum I'm already logged in. Yesss! You Rock Mtn Dude.

I tried to post in the discussion on answering a personal message, but can't there.

Maybe the reason was my reply was too frivolous. I merely wanted to ask Blue if a skin designer was a sort of tattoo artist.

Cole

:hugs: :icon_geek: Great joke, Cole, and it references an old in-joke between Codey, EleCivil, and a couple of others, way back when.

-----

This has to be a cookie issue. We'll likely have to talk to the wizardly folk that make the forum software to resolve it.

-----

People have asked how others log in to the forum, and how that relates to moving between the site and the forum.

The link on the AD site home page to the forum is a plain old link. Nothing fancy. It's the same as if you added it to your Bookmarks or Favorites list in your browser, or copied the link shortcut and added it to an email or a web page.

It does not automatically log you into the forum. That is controlled by whether you have your "remember me" and automatic login settings for the forum. So, if you have set your computer to remember you in order to automatically log in, it will. -- But the link from the AD site home page, or from your bookmarks/favorites has nothing to do with that. It simply goes where you tell it.

If I click on the link at the top of the forum that goes to the site, that leaves the forum, logs me out of the session at the forum, and goes to the site. Sites and forums are two separate animals. A forum is an application program that is in the site's space.

If I click on the link from the site to the forum again, that will take me back to the forum. If my computer is set to automatically log me back in, then it's supposed to try to do that.

If there's something screwed up, for instance if it thinks it can't log you in, doesn't remember your username and password, has crumbled your cookie (written it wrong, lol) or some other identity crisis issue, then it will have trouble logging in.

So, I hope that explains how this all works. (Hey, I learn as I go too.)

-----

How do I log into the AD forums? At any given time, I may click on a bookmark/favorite, scroll through my browser history, or click on a saved link on a web page, or I may type it in.

My own computer is set to remember me and log in automatically. If I'm elsewhere or on a laptop, and need to log in, then I log in fresh, not automatically, just in case someone might access the computer I'm using then. (I don't have my own laptop right now. Waah!)

However, all of those methods use the same link, the forum's URL:

http://www.awesomedude.com/adboard/index.php

Note: Occasionally, we may take that URL "offline" for maintenance or upgrades. That's standard practice. When that happens, yes, we put up a note on the AD home page that the forums are down for technical mumbo-jumbo.

If and when the link permanently changes, you would be alerted by us, never fear.

-----

OK, I hope that answers a lot of questions.

Okay, I have one of my homepage tabs set at:

http://www.awesomedude.com/adboard/index.php?

This gives me logged on onto the forums index. hooray.

However clicking the AD Forums on the homepage takes me to Forums Index page not logged on.

This seems to be consistent for 24 hours now.

Also email notifications work as logged on status to their respective forum.

This seems to agree with other peoples' experiences, I think.

Up to the present I don't seem to be having a problem with posting or reply so long as I am logged on.

:hugs: :icon_geek: Great joke, Cole, and it references an old in-joke between Codey, EleCivil, and a couple of others, way back when.

-----

This has to be a cookie issue. We'll likely have to talk to the wizardly folk that make the forum software to resolve it.

-----

People have asked how others log in to the forum, and how that relates to moving between the site and the forum.

The link on the AD site home page to the forum is a plain old link. Nothing fancy. It's the same as if you added it to your Bookmarks or Favorites list in your browser, or copied the link shortcut and added it to an email or a web page.

It does not automatically log you into the forum. That is controlled by whether you have your "remember me" and automatic login settings for the forum. So, if you have set your computer to remember you in order to automatically log in, it will. -- But the link from the AD site home page, or from your bookmarks/favorites has nothing to do with that. It simply goes where you tell it.

If I click on the link at the top of the forum that goes to the site, that leaves the forum, logs me out of the session at the forum, and goes to the site. Sites and forums are two separate animals. A forum is an application program that is in the site's space.

If I click on the link from the site to the forum again, that will take me back to the forum. If my computer is set to automatically log me back in, then it's supposed to try to do that.

If there's something screwed up, for instance if it thinks it can't log you in, doesn't remember your username and password, has crumbled your cookie (written it wrong, lol) or some other identity crisis issue, then it will have trouble logging in.

So, I hope that explains how this all works. (Hey, I learn as I go too.)

Blue, I feel that you are missing the point this Forum Topic is trying to address. There are some members here who have done EXACTLY what you have laid out above and highlighted who are sent off to the AD Forum via the button and even though they have done all of the above, arrive in the Forum and ARE NOT LOGGED IN.

This has been happening to me!!! Trust me when I say that my settings ARE CORRECT! It had not been working for me and a fair number of other members.

Late yesterday I stumbled across a work-a-round and has solved the problem for a number of people.

A link to it is below, please take a look:

http://www.awesomedude.com/adboard/index.p...=2171&st=67

I know this will sound strange. Back when Myr did the upgrade at GA and I did it to The Talon House, I started having login issues with both sites from work. I tried all of the suggestions and still had problems. I figured that maybe my employer had some things in place that was causing the problem for me. Last Monday afternoon, the computer I use at work decide to take a dump on me. I'm still waiting on IT to rebuild it. I'm using one of the other computers in my department and don't have the login issues.

Update: I just my computer back at work and don't seem to have any login issues at this time.

Edited 1/25/07 at 2:52pm by Talonrider

Ok, so yesterday, Wednesday, I started having logon issues again at work. No matter what I did, I couldn't stay logged in at all 3 sites. Today, I tried something different once I was able to login at The House. I went into the Admincp and disabled the Stronghold Cookie. This is something that I had not seen from Invision until this version was released. IPB can store a stronghold cookie in the user's browser which is used when automatically logging in to prevent successful cookie theft.

To me, it seems like this stronghold cookie affects the computer here at work. I don't have the issue at home.

When it comes to linking here, I don't keep a book mark on the computer at work. I link thru The House or DW to get here.

Jan