Harry Potter 7

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't expect to read the story for a few months -- maybe after Christmas. If you want to start a thread to discuss the novel, note in the description that spoilers are included -- that way I can avoid the thread completely.

I bought HP7 yesterday, but I haven't read 2 - 6 yet, and I want to re-read 1 first. So...it'll be a while. -- I'll simply stay out of any spoiler threads. I don't expect people to hold out that long.

• 1 month later...

There's one thing that I found amusing about book 7. When I got my copy, Chris and I decided to share it. So, I read the first 7 chapters; Chris read the first 14 chapters; I read 8 through 21; Chris read 15 through 28; etc. etc. That way one of us was always 7 chapters ahead of the other. One of the reasons that this worked well is that every 7 chapters were almost the same number of pages. Weird.

Possible spoiler (but I don't think so)!

There's one thing that bugged me about the story.

There's a section with a lot of repetition, sort of the same thing being done over and over and over. It was like Rowling needed extra pages to meet her publisher's objective. We talked about book 7 in the dorm lounge Wednesday night, and about half agreed with me and half disagreed. Chris agrees with me, Steve doesn't, Doug doesn't care one way or the other. Different strokes, and all that.

Most of us said that we thought that book 7 is the best, maybe 10% or 15% picked one or two of the other books.

Colin :icon_geek:

Hey, Colinian, I said the same thing in my Spoiler review elsewhere -- that there's some long stretches of the book where not a whole helluva lot happens, with the whole "living in a tent" thing. It definitely did seem padded, and the only reason as to why this happened was because I think Rowling wanted to postpone the final battle to the spring.

I think you basically have a 3-month story dragged out to 9 or 10 months. What's there is still good -- it's like a good 2-1/2 hour movie that, unfortunately, is about 3 hours long.