Cole Strikes Again: "An Accidental Romance" by Cole Parker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been so long since Cole posted a new story I'd almost forgotten how addictively well he writes.... then there's the problem of waiting for chapter 2, 3, etc. Poot.

Anyway, I have a question. As a bod who lives in the UK I'd like to ask what 'A narrow twin bed' is. Here, we have single beds, double beds and king size ones.

I've never heard of a 'narrow twin.' And this is what you get with a double:

my side.jpg

Over here in the colonies, the standard bed sizes are twin, full, queen, and king.  (There is also a "California King" just to confuse things.)  The common size for twin is 38" wide x 75" long.  However there is another size called "narrow twin" which is indeed narrower:  30" wide by 75" long.  

R

Huh. Your twin bed is the same as our single. 'Twin' insinuates it's big enough for two... really? Unless Americans have got a lot smaller since I was last there, I can't see it. You'd end up with concussion from your bedfellow's elbow.

…or a toe in the eye.  Conventions vary, but in my youth it was customary in my region of the country to tuck two non-connubial house guests into the same bed by having them sleep head to foot.  This could not have guaranteed sweet dreams for either.

I can only assume they were called "twin" because you were supposed to set them up in pairs, for two different people to sleep in.

Classic TV comedies always showed married couples sleeping in individual twin beds.  Never mind that they had children.

I-L-L-1566058581-0.jpg

Dick-Van-Dyke-3uybl7.jpg

R

16 hours ago, Merkin said:

…or a toe in the eye.  Conventions vary, but in my youth it was customary in my region of the country to tuck two non-connubial house guests into the same bed by having them sleep head to foot.  This could not have guaranteed sweet dreams for either.

...especially if one, or both, had whiffy feet.

R's totally right.  I also believe that twin beds were named that because they were usually bought in twos and intended for the purpose R suggested, but also for a single child.  I forget what the first TV show was that showed a married couple in a double or queen bed.  But I'll bet it wasn't till the '70s, or maybe even '80s.  We're such a stuffy country when it comes to anything dealing with sex.

C

On 5/27/2021 at 2:07 AM, Merkin said:

Conventions vary, but in my youth it was customary in my region of the country to tuck two non-connubial house guests into the same bed by having them sleep head to foot.  This could not have guaranteed sweet dreams for either.

Maybe that's how sucking toes became a thing? Not my bag, but each to their own.  :wav:

I'd like to apologise to Cole for hijacking this thread to talk about bed sizes.

Chapter 2 should be here soon!

Interesting guy, is David. I like how you've written him so far, Cole. A bit hot headed maybe, but really wants to do what's right. And, perhaps, Nicki might know a bit more about David than David does. I guess we'll see!

I'm hoping Nicki comes into the story more later. I like her.

As for Jordan, not quite enough to go on yet. Shy, okay. Good at soccer, clearly. Probably a bit shell-shocked with the family situation.

I'm looking forward to more, thanks for this one so far, Cole.

This seems to be the main bit of information about David's appearance:

Jeffy really was a neat kid. He had brown hair with quite a bit of red in it, almost like strawberry blond, kind of like mine but a little brighter. I didn’t wear mine messy and realized he didn’t, either, possibly copying me. I had glasses, though, and he didn’t. To tell the truth, I thought I looked sort of dorky and was hoping I grew into my looks as I got older. I wore contacts when playing soccer and at school; I only wore glasses, and then only sometimes, when I was at home. Okay, I admit it, I’m a little vain as well as dorky. Strange mix, but I think most kids my age are ambivalent about how they look. My problem is, I don’t have much to be vain about. I look like my age: an unfinished, gawky, half-child, half-growing teenager with a huge dose of uncertainty underlining it all.

Not really much to go on in regards to the picture.

R

I have cogitated, and, by using all my little grey cells, have concluded the picture is of Jordan:

'He’d combed his hair after washing it in the shower, so it was neater now. Still long, of course, but brushed and a little shiny. It’s rich brown color and matched his eyes.'