faster than 'flying off the shelves'

Camy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6912529.stm

The seventh and final Harry Potter book has broken sales records on both sides of the Atlantic, selling 11 million copies in its first 24 hours. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows sold 2.7 million copies in the UK and 8.3 million in the US.

There's a living to be made in writing a good story!

These are extremely popular shows, but not particularly known for their quality, although they can be fun to watch. I just meant to point out, in my obviously poor way, that popularity is not connected to quality.

Also, there are a lot of good stories out there that aren't popular. I'm not making a comment on the quality of J.K.Rowling's writing, but simply pointing out that you need to be a popular author to make a living from writing. Whether you are also a good author is not entirely relevant.

In this case, I think Rowling's work is both good and popular. I think a best-seller doesn't necessarily have to be well-written, but the Potter series is an unabashed classic. You don't get to be a classic unless it's good, and these books have heart and soul and emotion at their core. The final installment is as good as I was hoping for, full of surprises and twists and turns, and yet still fulfilled my expectations. You can't ask for better than that.

I'll second that sentiment. I finally finished the last Potter book, and believe J.K. Rowling did a fine job of tying up the loose ends. There were even a couple of places towards the end where I found tears forming...I guess its just the sentimental muggle in me peeking out.

If you haven't read it yet, go get it!

Abraxas

If my copy doesn't arrive by tonight, I'll be checking with the courier to find out why.

I also think the HP books are well written, good stories, and popular. Far too many friends whose opinions I trust have all said the books are instant classics.

I'd agree that with too many stories, popularity versus a good story (engaging plot, chars, style) and quality writing don't necessarily all come in the same package.

Note that also means some stories that are very good and enjoyable don't get the attention they deserve, while others that are mediocre or worse can be hailed as great.

J.K. Rowling is one of a few who get all of it right. Some of the things I've seen from interviews or articles, are that she's willing to admit her faults and is aware of them, and she keeps it real and keeps her goal of reaching kids, teens, and adults equally. Admirable. OK, so I'm a fan.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the Potter stories succeed because Rowling captures childhood experiences that everybody goes through, and provides engaging characters everyone can relate to. In Harry's case, we have a character who's felt "different" all his life, and discovers he belongs to a world very different from the one in which he grew up. While wanting to fit in and be accepted, like everybody else, he also wants to be an individual and do things his own way.

The books' ongoing themes of friendship, trust, and honor, as well as the ongoing threats and violence from mysterious forces, uplift the story beyond a mere "kid's tale."

I'm really glad the books sold so well, and I hope that more people (young and old) learn the value in reading for pleasure. <in my wheezy old man's voice> Eh, these young'n's today... they spend too much gol-durn time on that infernal Internet! In myyyy day, we read books! And we... liked it!

In myyyy day, we read books! And we... liked it!

In fact, we read so fast that at times we'd finish reading the book before we even started it. (Nod to Monty Python)