Site Problem With Awesome Dude

Ever since the "new" AD forums have appeared, I get logged out once per week even though I have remember selected. Not a big deal. Now I am being logged out every day or two for no apparent reason.

By "logged out" I mean that I show up and asked to log-in before I can proceed.

Any ideas what's gone wrong? No changes on my end.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have just - a few hours ago - upgraded to the most modern version of the IP Board software. We've also inplemented a 'stronghold cookie' system to overcome these problems... you may want to delete your cookies and then log in again now that the improvements have been completed.

If the problem persists... let me know...

We have just - a few hours ago - upgraded to the most modern version of the IP Board software. We've also inplemented a 'stronghold cookie' system to overcome these problems... you may want to delete your cookies and then log in again now that the improvements have been completed.

If the problem persists... let me know...

It's persisting. Yesterday, I deleted cookies, quit the browser, signed back on and in. All was well. Today I signed on and it demanded once again I log in.

(Even though "REMEMBER" is ticked-off)

If I understand it correctly, the new software tends to ask for a login when the IP address changes. If you are changing your IP address (eg. with a dial up, or connecting from multiple sites), you'll be asked to login again more often.

I know I have a similar issue because I connect on via my laptop from two different networks and I often get asked to relogin the first time I access the site after switching networks. As long as I stay on one network, it's fine.

If I understand it correctly, the new software tends to ask for a login when the IP address changes. If you are changing your IP address (eg. with a dial up, or connecting from multiple sites), you'll be asked to login again more often.

I know I have a similar issue because I connect on via my laptop from two different networks and I often get asked to relogin the first time I access the site after switching networks. As long as I stay on one network, it's fine.

Shouldn't be the reason. I log in only from home and only one computer (broadband).

WBMS, a moderator can actually see the IP at the top right of each posting. Of 10 posts of yours I've just checked, you had 5 different IP addresses. Sometimes even within the same thread.

Wow. That's REALLY odd then.

I have no idea if it is applicable for you WBMS, but your router, modem or ISP connection may be set for automatic settings rather than static. If the assignment of the IP address is not the same each time due to this then that would explain the difference. At least I think it might. :biggrin:

I have no idea if it is applicable for you WBMS, but your router, modem or ISP connection may be set for automatic settings rather than static. If the assignment of the IP address is not the same each time due to this then that would explain the difference. At least I think it might. :biggrin:

So everytime I come I have to log-in now? That sucks.

I had to log in again today.

This IP WBMS is different from the one you had in your earlier post.

Didn't you say something a long time ago about implementing some kind system that hides where you are located? Or maybe that was someone on my AS forum. If it was you, then maybe you need to look at that.

This IP WBMS is different from the one you had in your earlier post.

Didn't you say something a long time ago about implementing some kind system that hides where you are located? Or maybe that was someone on my AS forum. If it was you, then maybe you need to look at that.

Trab may be onto something there. Also perhaps, have you or any programs disabled cookies?

Some settings in firewalls or LAN configuration deliberately select the setting for getting an IP address automatically. Ths would mean it might not always be the same.

To have it always be the same then choose the static address box. Your ISP should provide you with a range of addresses or at least one to put there. Where it is depends on a number of things your ISP will probably be able to help with. If you are accessing at your work-place you might want to be careful before asking your systems administrator however.

This does mean your address is more identifiable (not you personally), but this is the way I do it and I have had no trouble with it.

In any case your ISP knows exactly who, what and when you did what on the net, so I am told.

Excuse me I have to go and see what all the sirens are about outside.

Someone is shouting , "Federal Police, open up."

Joking! (about the sirens and Feds) :biggrin:

I had to laugh at your reason for edit Des. Like anyone would edit in order to confuse (except maybe EleCivil)

I had to laugh at your reason for edit Des. Like anyone would edit in order to confuse (except maybe EleCivil)

That is so cool Trab.

Glad I made you laugh.

It never occurred to me that I needn't stipulate the clarity.

What can I say? I was confused. :biggrin:

Cookies are enabled for this site.

(I have no problem at CodeysWorld BTW)

I would point out that anyone using my ISP has a dynamically allocated IP address that will change whenver the connection is reset (at least once every 24 hours) by the ISP. Also if the power goes out, I shut off my computer, reset the router, and whatnot.

Very few ISPs provide static IPs to their members. I do not mask my IP fully, but I could.

Whatever new version of this board Dude loaded doesn't like me. I am not a fan, I can assure you.

The forum software at AwesomeDude and at CodeysWorld are different.

At AD, I generally have to re-login once a week or so, even though I've set it to "remember" me.

At other forums that use the same software as AD, some have the same procedure as AD, but one other asks me to re-login every time, even in the same day. Now *that's* annoying.

How about just leaving the AD forum page up and opening up a new window. Never shut it down.

I've noticed another change in the way things work in the last week or so. It used to be that however the view new posts control worked, it was immediate. When I'd look at something using that control, then use the control again, what I'd just reviewed no longer showed up as a new post. Now, it remains on the list. This is no real problem, no biggie, but it is a change. I have to remember which items I've read now, whereas the system did it for me before.

c

The little page symbol changes from having lines, to being blank if it has been viewed, even though the page still shows up.

I used to have the problem when I'd check that box so I quit checking it.

Jan

I need to change this statement. I have the box checked. I unchecked it over at The House, then logged in. When I went to post something, it wasn't permitted. I had to login again.

WBMS,

If you haven't already, please try deleting all cookies from AwesomeDude, both with and without the www. subdomain prefix. Then shut down and restart your computer. Then login again, with the "remember me" box checked = ON please. This sounds like a cookie that's gotten corrupted on one or both sides (client and server). It probably just got stuck with raccoon fur or...whatever that was. -- The men in the nice, white coats aren't out to get you yet. They're probably busy with their butterfly nets, chasing after underground flute players or some such.