Site Problem With Awesome Dude

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a change of IP address with your last post BUT it has the first two numbers in common with your previous post. I don't know what the login-check algorithm is doing, but it may only be looking for a change in the first two numbers of your IP address.

Sorry, but I don't think there is much we can do. Your IP addresses are fluctuating wildly....

Poor Wibby. Now give back the floor mat! :)) I'm fairly sure that in a week or a fortnight (ooh, how veddy British!) it'll ask me to login again too. Relax, Wibby. I'm sorry, but it's really not mad at you or anyone personally...unless you did unspeakable raccoon things to someone's bins. Cheer up, another forum using this software insists that people check in each and every time they sign on, no matter what. See? Not so bad, then.

And yet another log-in.

If I need to be irritated by logging in every day, I'm going to share it with everyone here :)

Is there any way you can speak to your ISP so that you don't get wildly fluctuating IP addresses each day? I don't know what it's like in the USA, but I think all Australian ISP's give an almost constant IP address and don't require a reconnect each day. Even with a reconnect, there is a fair chance we'll get the same IP address because the the DHCP server grants a lease to the Mac address of the connecting hardware with an expiry date that is longer than most disconnection periods (so when you reconnect, you get the same IP address).

Is there any way you can speak to your ISP so that you don't get wildly fluctuating IP addresses each day? I don't know what it's like in the USA, but I think all Australian ISP's give an almost constant IP address and don't require a reconnect each day. Even with a reconnect, there is a fair chance we'll get the same IP address because the the DHCP server grants a lease to the Mac address of the connecting hardware with an expiry date that is longer than most disconnection periods (so when you reconnect, you get the same IP address).

I don't know for sure but I still feel that somewhere on his computer, WBMS Internet connection settings are set for dynamic or "automatically acquire an IP Address."

This setting could be in the options for the browser, the modem, or even the OS under Internet connections, I think.

It may also be affected by stealth or cloaking techniques/settings of some security software.

Any of these settings could mean that a different IP address is accessed each time you go on the Net, and would explain the wildly fluctuating addresses.

As Graeme says, you will need to get a static address from your ISP to use. However, Graeme is right about Australian ISP's generally giving the same IP address even on the automatic setting.

At the moment I am finding it necessary to log-in to AD every 2 weeks, and I find that annoying enough. Everyday would be quite exasperating. You have my sympathy WBMS.

One other thought is that the cookies on your computer are being deleted, everytime you log off the net.

I don't know for sure but I still feel that somewhere on his computer, WBMS Internet connection settings are set for dynamic or "automatically acquire an IP Address."

As WBMS said above, this is standard for all ISPs. They use a system known as DHCP to dynamically allocate an IP address when a device attaches (I use the word device, because they aren't always computers). Typically a "lease" is assigned to that device for the IP address that expires after a period of time (a week is a common figure here in Australia). If the connection is broken and re-established in that period, the same IP address is given back. If the connection is still there at the end of the lease, the lease is typically extended for another period of time.

DHCP is used because it means the ISP doesn't have to have an IP address permanently allocated for all members. They only need IP addresses for active members, and active members are automatically catered for when they connect. A person who hasn't connected for a couple of weeks (say) doesn't tie up an IP address so the ISP can use that IP address for another customer -- allowing them to cater for more customers without requiring more IP addresses in their allocated pool (ISPs are allocated a set of IP addresses that they can then use for their customers. This ensures that two people from different ISPs don't have the same IP address).

You can pay ISPs extra to have a fixed IP address. This is needed for anyone who runs a website, so that the DNS entry for that website will contain a constant IP address (otherwise you have to keep changing DNS entries, which take time to propogate to all the DNS servers in the world, and while they are propogating your website would be effectively off the air -- not good). However, most casual users have dynamically allocated IP addresses and this is controlled by the ISP, not by the connecting device.

One other thought is that the cookies on your computer are being deleted, everytime you log off the net.

Cookies have nothing to do with IP addresses. Where cookies come into the play is that I believe the cookie used by the forum software contains details of the IP address. The forum software checks the IP address in the cookie against the IP address of the connection, and if they are sufficiently different it is asking the user to log in again. Even if the cookie is being left on the computer (and I'm assuming it is), the change of IP address is making the forum software ask for a new login.

All of the above could be completely wrong, since this is not my area of expertise, but it is my understand of the situation based on a few years experience and random comments I've heard here and there....

1. I had to log on again.

2. To get a static IP, I'd have to pay a lot of money. I've never had one, nor would I want one. If you have a static IP you can be found and hacked more easily. I use like most US users on broadband DHCP (as Graeme says) and each day I get a new IP -- or if there's a service drop sometimes more than once per day. Also a static IP means people know who you are a lot more easily. There is no plus to anyone who is not running a server of some sort.

3. Deleting cookies/cache/etc have no effect.

4. The problem did NOT exist until a specific date -- coinciding with the latest site upgrade. So I'm guessing that's where the problem is. Dude is under no obligation to fix it nor is the vendor of this heinous new "feature" nor am I under any obligation to stop bitching about it :)

5. Happy Christmas

Graeme Thank you for your reply to my comments. We are probably having a little bit of talking at cross purposes.

Also none of this is my area of expertise either.

However to clarify my reference to IP address, in the settings for my modem (ADSL) I can choose to either have an automatic setting or a fixed setting for the IP address. My ISP had no problems giving the numbers for the fixed address which indeed they suggested a couple of years ago when I signed up with them. Even so I have gone over to the auto setting at times and noted that it is a different address, but remains consistent. (Probably because as you point out I am on everyday).

At one stage I know I was running on the auto and when I when to check things I found that those numbers now appeared in the fixed settings. According to the ISP they can tweak my modem settings from their end and had given it fixed numbers. ??? I don't know, that's what hey told me.

I note also that I could cancel both the automatic and fixed IP address boxes by selecting "unmanaged". I haven't dared try that one. So I have left things as they set it.

The DHCP allocation is a separate and different range of numbers to the IP Address fixed address numbers on my modem settings.

My reference to the cookies did indeed have nothing to do with the IP address. I was referring to WBMS' being asked to login, and simply mentioned the cookies as I thought a cookie was needed by the AD website to remember him. If the this is the case and the cookies were being deleted by the OS or some other program then as I understand it he would need to login again because the AD identifying cookie would not be available.

But Hey, as I say I am no expert in this and was trying to offer some assistance with the little experience I have of such things.

:hehe:

1. I had to log on again.

2. To get a static IP, I'd have to pay a lot of money. I've never had one, nor would I want one. If you have a static IP you can be found and hacked more easily. I use like most US users on broadband DHCP (as Graeme says) and each day I get a new IP -- or if there's a service drop sometimes more than once per day. Also a static IP means people know who you are a lot more easily. There is no plus to anyone who is not running a server of some sort.

3. Deleting cookies/cache/etc have no effect.

4. The problem did NOT exist until a specific date -- coinciding with the latest site upgrade. So I'm guessing that's where the problem is. Dude is under no obligation to fix it nor is the vendor of this heinous new "feature" nor am I under any obligation to stop bitching about it :)

5. Happy Christmas

GA had a similar problem when they did a forum SW upgrade, maybe 6 months ago (I don't remember exactly when). I never set my login to be saved on any forum. I use Roboform to save my encrypted and password protected login ID's and passwords, and it fills in the info for each site I go to.

Colin :hehe:

Had to log on again dammit.

As any of us with administrator status can see... your IP changes each time you log-in and complain about logging in. It is obviously connected with this. A quick reverse check indicates you are using DSL, not cable. Cable folks are happy with letting you keep your same IP for months or years at a time as long as you don't get involved in shady activities... like leaving loaves in the dude's shoes.

DSL - unless you request a static or fixed IP address - essentially being 'dial-up' - gives you a new dynamic IP address each time your DSL unit is turned off and on (and logs itself into your ISP). I know you are a thrifty rodent... but you might try leaving your DSL unit turned on when you shut down your computer so that it 'holds' it's IP address.

At the AD Forums, we have a huge problem... of almost 200 attempted phony sign-ups at the forums per week by spammers. That amount IS DOWN significantly after the new version of the software went up a couple of weeks ago... and those remaining 200 spammers are mostly using IP-altering software as there are probably a couple dozen of them at most. As it is ... I let very very few of those who make it through the IP filters into the forums... sad to say we probably lose a lot of potential members that way.

Please give the above method a try and see if you can keep the same ip twice or more in a row. I found the year I lived in Seattle, that the local DSL provider gave me 5 FIXED IP addresses for another $12/month... suitable for running servers on a small local area network. In those days the DSL/CABLE routers that have become so common today were frowned upon.

There is no way we're going to be able to back down our current intruder shield without the massive spamming we saw before the upgrade.

Good luck!

Just so you don't feel alone or victimised WBMS, I had to log on today too.

Yeah I logged on again too.

The problem is the shite-for-brains invision people think using an IP address is a great thing for security. It is if you want to keep casual hackers out. But there are so many better ways to do it that aren't intrusive on the user experience. But that would require work and effort. Hmph.

Just so you don't feel alone or victimised WBMS, I had to long on today too.

Please note the date.

Further proves my point. Des' IP address changed with this entry.

I don't mind the friendly banter here gang... but a casual visitor to the Forums seeing the headline 'Site Problem With Awesome Dude' with daily updates MIGHT lead one to believe the AwesomeDude.com site actually is riddled with problems... which it is not.

And Des... you have been in skippy-land long enough to know we don't stand on formalities. WBMS around here is known as Wibby. I have implemented that since he seems to have dubbed me 'Dudey.'

His most excellent and beneficent dudester

I don't mind the friendly banter here gang... but a casual visitor to the Forums seeing the headline 'Site Problem With Awesome Dude' with daily updates MIGHT lead one to believe the AwesomeDude.com site actually is riddled with problems... which it is not.

Can I suggest a title change to "Logging onto AwesomeDude"?

Can I suggest a title change to "Logging onto AwesomeDude"?

I'll second that Graeme. The last thing we want is to scare away fresh errr I mean new visitors.

We have so much fun we often forget others may not understand that it is all fun, at least until they see it is safe to join in with us.

Dude thanks for the info that my IP address changed. I don't know why it would have changed as I am permanently connected to the DSL and I don't switch off the modem as requested by my ISP.

So I guess it was changed at their end as I did nothing. No power obvious outages or other interruptions that I know of. As I said I usually have to log in every couple of weeks, so it looks like that we may have found the cause of that. Not really a problem for me at that frequency.

Wibby and Dudey, you can call me Dizzy if you want. :lol: DizzyDownunder, quite appealing actually. :lol:

Trab! Dude's Log in? :lol: Careful or they might call you Trabby. :hehe:

*skips quickly out of the forum*

:hehe: