Tanuki Racoon

Not Entirely Alone With Myself

As one who has had the "pleasure" of getting sick while on vacation overseas, you have my complete sympathy, Wibby. I'll tell you, you have not lived until you spend a day in a Paris ER, with gurneys stacked so closely together that you could walk on them from one end of the ER to the other. Lucy for me, the ER was full and so they put me in the break rook, next to the urinalysis machine. I very pleasantly bled out while the nurses sat around laughing and orderlies brought urine samples right by me to be tested. My wife, who speaks fluent French, wasn't let near me. My French and the doctors' English were on a par with each other, which meant we understood squat from each other. If the French health care system is supposed to be one of the best, this ER was not one of the better examples of it. Finally after I vomited a couple liters of digested blood, they got serious and sent me to a military hospital, where they took exceptional care of me. I guess it wouldn't have looked good for an American citizen to die of something that in the US, would have been considered malpractice, pure and simple. :icon4:

Anyway, here's wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery. :icon10:

Oh, and I fully intend to call my sequel to Love in a Chair a sequel, even though it involves different characters and spans a period of time that begins several years before the start of the first story. So there. :icon_tongue:

I apologize for the delay in chapter 13. I had food poisoning last night and just got out of bed and sent it in. Dude will get it up as soon as possible*.

*He'll probably post my new chapter too.....

Sorry to hear you were poisoned. Hope you are feeling better.

I'm sure Dude will get it up for you, Wibby.

:stare:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh god, Des. You're so good, I'm so green with envy! If I only have that much sense of humor... :lol:

Excuse me folks, a word aside with young Rad if you don't mind.

Thanks Rad. i'm glad you got a laugh out of it.

No need to be green with envy. Envy will only turn you into a mean, bitter, twisted old man,

and I assure you, it is much more fun to let old age run rampant with its humour. :wav::mad::wav:

Anyway it might be best to not address me in public as "Oh god Des," it makes the other old people jealous you know. :stare::lol:

:mad:

There are several ways to interpret Rad's greeting, you know. "Oh god Des" was probably shorthand for, Oh god, there's that Des butting in again! or perhaps, Oh god, not Des again. Could have been, too, "Oh god, spare us from Des one more time!" Or even, "Oh god, take me now: it's DES!

Interpreting it to mean, "Oh, it's that god, Des," could be seen as being just the slightest bit narcissistic. Or, an even worse pejorative: as falling below your accustomed heralded level of creativity.

I can hardly wait for a response!

C<G!>

There are several ways to interpret Rad's greeting, you know. "Oh god Des" was probably shorthand for, Oh god, there's that Des butting in again! or perhaps, Oh god, not Des again. Could have been, too, "Oh god, spare us from Des one more time!" Or even, "Oh god, take me now: it's DES!

Interpreting it to mean, "Oh, it's that god, Des," could be seen as being just the slightest bit narcissistic. Or, an even worse pejorative: as falling below your accustomed heralded level of creativity.

I can hardly wait for a response!

C<G!>

:stare: Did one of the other elderly gods speak?

:wav:

It's not a problem, Rad. You expressed proper respect for a deity, and that's all that matters. :icon1:

13 is posted. It's HERE.

I've read it, and I'm not going to give any hints or spoilers. Go read it for yourselves. And send a big thank-you to the wasscally wone.

Colin :lol:

A criticism I received has me feeling the (very rare) need to explain myself. A reader wrote me after a particular chapter in which, he(?) complained that nothing much happened. From a strict, technical standpoint, not much did happen except a bit of tourism.

However, except in one rare instance*, even when nothing is happening in my chapters, rest assured, you're being given details. Specifically you're being given insight into my characters, their interactions with others, and sometimes I leave little seemingly innocuous clues that are critical for things to come.

I try not to waste my readers' time and, indeed, most of you who have written have begged for more, not less. Even something simple like walking around Hong Kong serves to (A) give you a bonus tour of Hong Kong in addition to (B) learning a bit about what Alex and Gavin are feeling and their (in)ability to express it. Other times, something simple like checking in at the airport gives you clues as to how they handle certain situations. It's not just there because I feel like dragging you through checking in for an international flight.

Though, if you've never been to London, San Francisco, or Hong Kong, checked in for an International Flight, or been to the many places I write about, you do get an accurate taste. One reader even wrote me to say he stayed at the hotel I wrote about :)

* In AWMS -- and it was very deliberate. I'm not saying which chapter.

One thing I learned about writing is nothing is trivial. There will be slow spots, but that would be explained better in future chapters. Setting up the next few chapters has to start someplace.

I'm beginning to wonder if Nicky will ever surface, but I'll have to wait like everyone else for that answer. Book 3 perhaps? :icon11: