Requiem by C James

Well, after reading all the comments, I was very curious, so read CJ's piece. I, as RAD, like it.

I have a problem with terms or words as; never, always--usually prefaced with 'should.' I don't know if one of the writers that post here will not go on to be in the leagues of a Hemmingway, Allende, Steinbeck or Mitchell. Perhaps a contributor here will 'step out of the box' of deemed acceptable or 'normal' writing and create a fine piece of literature.

I believe constructive critisism is wonderful. I believe we all have an opinion and should be allowed to express that opinion. I also believe we should be supportive and encouraging. Don't just tell me my story sucked; without stating someway how it could be improved. And no, telling me to leave my pen in the desk drawer is not what I mean. :hehe: Not everyone has a strong backbone and a vituperative attack might discourage them from contributing or discovering their potential. Which would take all the fun away from us as then we couldn't expound our great knowledge. :huh::hehe:

Anyway, CJ, I like it :huh: --

I'm glad sometimes that I don't have great literary/writing knowledge--me thinks it would destroy the enjoyment I get out of reading.

--Steven

If you can't laugh at yourself; you're probably not funny.

--Steven

If you can't laugh at yourself; you're probably not funny.

Off topic, but I disagree with your sig. I laugh at myself all the time and everyone says I'm definately NOT funny.

Jason R.

By the way, I agree with everything you said in the above post. :hehe:

• 1 month later...

Pecman, for fiction written in present tense, check out Damon Runyon's work. He wrote a number of novels in present tense, some of which were turned into stage productions or movies. Do the titles, "Guys and Dolls," or "Little Miss Marker," ring any bells. Both were based on Runyon's work. I'll concede that reading present tense is different, but I enjoyed reading books by Runyon. He was a quite good writer and very popular. He passed away in the late 1940's. You can read a short bio of Runyon at Wikipedia by searching Damon Runyon.

As for Requiem, while not really my cup of tea I thought it quite good. I disagree that there is no character there. Granted that the character is not really spelled out, but when you think about what was written, there is much there to tell you about the character. In some ways its brevity reminds me of Cole's, "When He Was Five," a work I think extremely well written and edited. I can also see that little snippet being used effectively as an opening to a long novel about the life of a politician and the way his principles change as he climbs the ladder of success., or as a short epilogue for the same if the story stopped just after his last election.

To me the second person almost makes it seem as if his conscience is driving him to do something he would not do.

I have no problem reading stuff by ESOL folks as long as it flows well. I give 'em a bit more leeway on the grammar side. I don't agree with Pec on that at all.

Um... what's ESOL?