Don't Let Me Down By Simon Jimenez

Thirdeye

Dude, you're dating yourself. :w00t:

Salright? Salright! :wink:

'Salright. I just returned from my "significant" high school reunion and don't mind dating myself (in the figurative sense). :wav: Senior Wences entertained me as a kid on Ed Sullivan's Sunday night show. The character he performed with his hand (now, now...keep it clean) was named "Johnny".

Jack :wav:

• 4 months later...

No, please don't. Please don't make this into a serial story. It's perfect just the way it is.

[spoilerS]

I was resigned to Harbor dying. It was a very good resigned, for the lead up to his imminent death was very, very, very well done. However, when Brody comes up with the gun and threatens to shoot Bethany, the first thought through my head was, "WTF?" I was so incredibly disappointed that the author was going to cop out and introduce a fantasy element just to save Harbor.

But then Simon Jimenez just turns it all around and leaves the fantasy element behind, and instead focuses on the relationship between Brody and Harbor. I absolutely LOVED the little flashbacks of the two. The interactions between Brody and Harbor were so well-crafted...Just unbelievable.

I really hope the author doesn't continue this story. The ending of 'Chapter One', as it's called on his page, is a perfect ending for a short story. Sure, there are questions left unanswered, like that of why Brody was able to see the Bethany, but that doesn't matter. Lots of stories end up with questions left unanswered, and while that usually doesn't work (it almost never does), if it's done well (like this particular case) then it works. It absolutely works.

My favorite part of the entire story:

?So, did you mean it?? He asked once more.

?Can elephants fly?? I asked, with a stupid grin plastered on my face.

?Oh god, please say yes,? was all he was able to breathe out before I pulled him back in and kissed him more urgently, savoring everything he was offering me.

Simon Jimenez, when it comes to my list of favorite authors, I can be very, very, very picky. I can say with certainty, that based on this one chapter/short story, you are definitely on my list.

• 5 months later...

I read what I now know is chapter one last year. OMG, that's like ten months ago. I thought it was a short story. Now, ten months later chapter two appears out of the grey matter. I hope like everything that I don't have to wait ten months for chapter three!

I hate serialized stories that have interminable delays between postings.

Colin :icon13:

I hope like everything that I don't have to wait ten months for chapter three!

Writers, editors, readers and even website operators are all human -well most of us- and things happen in our lives to derail our best laid plans.

Simon assures me we'll be getting new chapters every couple weeks.

More good news, Jamie is reportedly writing again on The Scrolls of Icaria and as soon as he and editor AJ get enough ahead, they will also be posting again regularly and probably sooner than you - or I - would have thought. More in today's News & Views.

Writers, editors, readers and even website operators are all human -well most of us- and things happen in our lives to derail our best laid plans.

Simon assures me we'll be getting new chapters every couple weeks.

More good news, Jamie is reportedly writing again on The Scrolls of Icaria and as soon as he and editor AJ get enough ahead, they will also be posting again regularly and probably sooner than you - or I - would have thought. More in today's News & Views.

That is outstanding news!

Colin :icon13:

I must say that this story surprised me. Very entertaining with enough of mystery to keep me wanting more. As for the secrets behind Brody and the Angel of Death and just what part Harbor plays in all this, I can't wait to find out.

Jason

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...