Chat Room?

Chat Room?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be a chat room here?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • What's a chat room?

How do I hate chatrooms? Let me count the ways.

• they are usually populated by rude, teen-aged zit pocked cretins looking to get laid.
  • the perverts that chase them
  • the perverts that chase the perverts that chase the teen-aged zit pocked cretins
  • Feds pretending to be 13
  • chat rooms encourage rude behavior
  • without facial expression, it's easy to have a misunderstanding
  • Chatrooms have their own dialects
  • they are so boring

I quit being a mod at GA when Kitty insisted that I help police the chat room which is, to me, like hanging out in a messy cat box.

GA droped their chat rooms because of the contingent liability that it posed.

Since states attorney generals have discovered that grandstanding internet crimes is worth 10 points at the polls, we will soon have an influx of inbred state cops trying to be netcops but couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.

How do I hate chatrooms? Let me count the ways.

they are usually populated by rude, teen-aged zit pocked cretins looking to get laid.

the perverts that chase them

the perverts that chase the perverts that chase the teen-aged zit pocked cretins

Feds pretending to be 13

chat rooms encourage rude behavior

without facial expression, it's easy to have a misunderstanding

Chatrooms have their own dialects

they are so boring

I quit being a mod at GA when Kitty insisted that I help police the chat room which is, to me, like hanging out in a messy cat box.

GA droped their chat rooms because of the contingent liability that it posed.

Since states attorney generals have discovered that grandstanding internet crimes is worth 10 points at the polls, we will soon have an influx of inbred state cops trying to be netcops but couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions written on the heel.

Then, do I take that as a 'no' vote, James? :icon_tongue:

Sounds to me as if there are many experienced and justifiable objections to an open chat room.

Perhaps the most important issues are:

1) to encourage several authors to give even more structured feedback on the work

published on AD; and

2) to explore ways to facilitate even more personal communication between

authors at AD (e.g. alternatives to a chat room); and

3) to open up for a wider discussion regarding the needs/desires of

our readers (perhaps on a reader only "wish list" forum); and

4) to provide a way for authors to get some basic statistics regarding

number of hits and visit length for our stories and novels; and

5) my own personal pet peeve: that I personally can escape

anonymous feedback, which I find useless as I wish to be able

to correspond with those who communicate with me.

:icon_tongue:

I voted "NO". Never really been interested in chat rooms. Like Des, I think it would be a diversion from the main reason we all hang out at AD. And that is to write stories/read stories.

But whatever is decided, I would support it as best as I can.

Jason R.

I think -since we can't afford the staff for 24/7 moderation... it's become a dead item. I'll put it to bed here.

I notice that the trend has moved so far from community chatrooms... that community chat software is almost a dead industry... with the old companies and new ones turning out chatware for commercial websites' customer service purposes.

I do want to thank Lugnutz for bringing up the subject, though. It has given us all a chance to consider most aspects of the subject. Hey... I loved hanging out in the gym lockerroom in high school... but I graduated. If I went back now.. I'm sure I'd be arrested... :icon_tongue:

I think -since we can't afford the staff for 24/7 moderation... it's become a dead item. I'll put it to bed here.

I notice that the trend has moved so far from community chatrooms... that community chat software is almost a dead industry... with the old companies and new ones turning out chatware for commercial websites' customer service purposes.

I do want to thank Lugnutz for bringing up the subject, though. It has given us all a chance to consider most aspects of the subject. Hey... I loved hanging out in the gym lockerroom in high school... but I graduated. If I went back now.. I'm sure I'd be arrested... :icon_tongue:

So Dude, are we to understand that you got A+ in locker-room studies?

I never knew you could get a diploma in that. :hehe:

Is there a way to have the various messengers people have listed under the posts like on some MB's? That way we don't have to go thru profiles to find your next victim. Just a thought.

Yep you can edit them right into your signature as I have just done.

Is there a way to have the various messengers people have listed under the posts like on some MB's? That way we don't have to go thru profiles to find your next victim. Just a thought.

It's better to fill those out in your profile info, if you want to, although other forums do list the messenger buttons directly. -- Yeah, it's really six of one, half a dozen of another.