Rich Boy: Awakening

Trab

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

How odd that you should mention this one...I just read the whole thing in its entirety the other night, and loved it too: nice system of magic, good characters - with the 'hero' being a very mixed bag of 'good' and 'evil' - and some memorable battle scenes. The only thing that semed a little incomplete to me was the problem that he brought up and then discarded regarding the national government and its involvement in magic: that felt incomplete, and I think he's going to have to deal with that in a great deal more detail at some point in the future.

cheers!

aj

How odd that you should mention this one...I just read the whole thing in its entirety the other night, and loved it too: nice system of magic, good characters - with the 'hero' being a very mixed bag of 'good' and 'evil' - and some memorable battle scenes. The only thing that semed a little incomplete to me was the problem that he brought up and then discarded regarding the national government and its involvement in magic: that felt incomplete, and I think he's going to have to deal with that in a great deal more detail at some point in the future.

cheers!

aj

I think that will be addressed in the second book. :)

Does it have a happy ending?

Sort of. Rich Boy: Awakening is book one of a series of related novels. Book two, which takes off from where book one ends, is Rich Boy: Growing Pains and chapters 1 through 4 have been posted. Be warned, you absolutely need to read all of RB:A to understand RB:GP.

Colin :sad:

By sort of, do you mean that it doesn't totally end because there are more stories or that there is good stuff and bad stuff at the end?

Things don't completely wrap up. There are all kinds of open issues that presaged a follow-on story. It's the sort of ending that makes you eager to read more, and would make you disappointed if nothing more had been forthcoming.

Colin :sad:

welcome to AD, Tiger... :)

Thank you, BK. I figured joining AD was a good idea. Another reason I am here is to check out some new authors for my own reading pleasure. ;)

Welcome to AD, Tiger.

Be sure to check out Tiger Tales. Tiger has a nice Sci-Fi story going, Dark Earth: The Prophecy.

Jan

Jan, it is great to be here on AD. I look forward to getting to know everyone here. :D

There are all kinds of open issues that presaged a follow-on story.

Dan says the new one will be called Rich Boy: Growing Pains, but I haven't seen any chapters yet. The new one has started here:

http://dkstories.gayauthors.org/richboy2/index.php

Awakening is convoluted as hell, but it's got some very entertaining moments. I think the thing I like best about the story is the lead character's growing guilt over realizing how much he hurts other people whenever he uses his powers -- absorbing some of their skills, which weakens the mortal. Very good idea for a story.

• 2 weeks later...