Netscape Navigator discontinued

Camy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7163547.stm

The browser that helped kick-start the commercial web is to cease development because of lack of users. Netscape Navigator, now owned by AOL, will no longer be supported after 1 February 2008, the company has said.

In the mid-1990s the browser was used by more than 90% of the web population, but numbers have slipped to just 0.6%. In particular, the browser has faced competition from Microsoft's Internet Explorer (IE), which is now used by nearly 80% of all web users.

It's a good idea for most of those Netscape users to switch to Firefox.

I still see a *lot* of visitors who use IE6, including some who use Win98. (Eek.) That means I still can't do some of the things nearly as easily as I could otherwise. Firefox 2.x is niiice about much of that. IE7 is...tolerable.

I won't bore you with the list of things I'd like to be able to do on a web page without jumping through hoops or adding Flash all over freakin' everywhere....

It's a good idea for most of those Netscape users to switch to Firefox.

I still see a *lot* of visitors who use IE6, including some who use Win98. (Eek.) That means I still can't do some of the things nearly as easily as I could otherwise. Firefox 2.x is niiice about much of that. IE7 is...tolerable.

I won't bore you with the list of things I'd like to be able to do on a web page without jumping through hoops or adding Flash all over freakin' everywhere....

As a cinema man, I just want a web page to be an user interactive movie, full screen in at least 5.1 stereo sound, popcorn optional.

Is that too much to ask?

:icon_tongue:

Yeah. Firefox is the new Netscape. :P

Switch to Firefox! Put an end to Microsoft Monopoly! /rant