new story by Grasshopper

E.J.

Hey, tangents are expected, and writers need to see/hear all sides. I wouldn't want our discussions to be only a cheerleading section, either. So, I didn't mean to give the impression of waving a big stick. Writers need fair answers, to know what people like and don't like, either in general or about their writing or a particular story or chapter. It helped me see other opinions, as an editor and writer. Several of you are also writers, so you see the benefit, I think, of the tangent and of getting back to discussion of the particular story.

I can imagine what everybody says.

It's dark, it's heavy.

For me, it grabs me. Maybe a bit too much.

That can only mean one thing; it is very good and well written!

But I am thinking about the option to wait a few chapters, just for the ability to read on, to the more happier stuff.

Nah, I can't do that. Too eager to know what will happen next.

Thumbs up!

Hey, tangents are expected, and writers need to see/hear all sides. I wouldn't want our discussions to be only a cheerleading section, either. So, I didn't mean to give the impression of waving a big stick. Writers need fair answers, to know what people like and don't like, either in general or about their writing or a particular story or chapter. It helped me see other opinions, as an editor and writer. Several of you are also writers, so you see the benefit, I think, of the tangent and of getting back to discussion of the particular story.

Blue is right. I discovered the benefits of laying at a tangent to many different bodies, of thought in an orgy room once, long, long ago, but that is a tangent of a different nature altogether.

allow me to save you the trouble:

:hehe:

:lol:

Cole missed that one! Raccoonteur would have been amusing. Ah well, *Aussie accent* 'the alliteration was beaut.'

Ooops, nearly a thread hijack. :hehe:

Darkfall is definitely getting darker. I'm tempted to wait a few days and then catch up, as I think chapter 10 and the return of Karl Jr is going to be ... nasty. It's a captivating piece of writing.

Cole missed that one! Raccoonteur would have been amusing. Ah well, *Aussie accent* 'the alliteration was beaut.'

Ooops, nearly a thread hijack. :lol:

Darkfall is definitely getting darker. I'm tempted to wait a few days and then catch up, as I think chapter 10 and the return of Karl Jr is going to be ... nasty. It's a captivating piece of writing.

Raconteur - I thought Cole was trying to be subtle.

And you're right the alliteration was just bloody corker*.

:lol:

*bloody corker = beaut = Aussie for remarkable excellence

We now return you to our real ripper, terrific topic. :hehe:

Phew! I thought I was the only one. I too cannot read a story that is continually dark. I need at least some resolution, redemption, or hope--even if only a glimmer. I rarely will watch child abuse or animal abuse movies or programs. Hell, "Oliver" the musical was hard for me to take. This, of course, may stem from my own childhood.

This is not to say I do not accept this as reality--hell, I lived it. Chapter after chapter though, for me gets to be a bit much. Maybe it is an age thing. And as Trab pointed out, it certainly says something for the writer to elicit such a visceral response. I've plotted the demise, or more to my liking--torture--of many a nefarious fictional character.

I love, "Oh, my God!" moments in a story and hopefully at some point it also contains a "Thank, God."

--Steven Keiths

If you can't laugh at yourself; you're probably not funny.

Yes, it's a dark story, and yes it's not so far showing any signs of getting any lighter - but you guys are all glued to it, aren't you?!!! I'm reading every episode as soon as I can, my heart aching for these characters that I've come to love. Why? Because it's brilliantly written, so that they're all real to me. It's gruelling not because it's dark but because I care so much about these people so I'm hurting with them.

Grasshopper is a real artist and craftsman and I'm full of admiration (and envy, but I'm not admitting to that part). May his pen flow ever onwards.

Bruin

I hate to wait for the entire story to be posted, and usually I don't wait for serials to be completed before reading them. Yet, with Grasshoppers stories I cannot stop reading and I think if I started reading this story that I would lose sleep until it's completed. I read all of his JHS stories back-to-back in one night. I just couldn't stop until everything was resolved and all was settled, the felt to much emotions for the characters to do anything otherwise. It was the same with his other stories, once I start on them I just can't stop until the story is resolved. Maybe I'll give in and try reading whats posted and wait out the rest.

• 1 month later...

Darkfall

Chapter 30 of Darkfall is now posted and ends with the words 'THE END' so you may draw your own conclusions (sorry, couldn't resist).

So all you guys who don't like to start reading a story when it's not finished, now is the time to dive in. Darkfall is arguably the best thing I have ever read on the web. And I don't say that lightly. I admire the work of lots of writers, most of them AD denizens, and I've enjoyed Grasshopper's other stories but Darkfall is, for me, a class apart.

Is it overly dark? I don't like stories that are unrelentingly gruesome or morbid or violent or depressive. Darkfall is none of these things. It deals with dark themes, mostly in the early chapters, but always with an undercurrent of hope, and with sympathetic characters you quickly grow to love. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Please read this story!

Bruin

P.S. I just heard from Grasshopper - there's an epilogue still to come.