Doors of Love by DesDownUnder

Insomniac

How about this, something my grandmother has fixed a few times, and I think it's good. This was a comfort food or a party food in the '40's and '50's, apparently.

It's very much like an Anglo version of a big nacho al carb?n.

Fix about two per person, plus a few extra, depending on appetite.

Slice of wheat bread

Layer:

Pinto beans, cooked and mashed (almost frijoles refritos, but more Anglo and not fried yet)

Bacon, fried and crumbled (don't go overboard)

Slice of tomato (?) (I think she did this once at least.)

Sharp cheddar cheese, grated

Broil on high until bread is toasted, beans are refried, and cheese is melted.

A quick snack or supposedly "light" meal, such as for a late supper.

Grandmother got around the calories by using small amounts of the toppings on the bread.

-- I think you could update this with a tortilla or pita bread base, or a slice of an artisan bread, such as sourdough or whole wheat. Possibly use frijoles refritos and let the broiler toast them further. Maybe a slice of avocado or a dollop of guacamole. Those of you who like, add jalape?o slice(s) and add a spoonful of sour cream before serving.

One addition I'd suggest is a couple of big spoonfuls of a really good salsa cruda that has tomato and some jalape?o and green chilies.

Colin :icon13:

none of that Wonder-Fluff-No-Flavor-It-Scrunches-Down-To-1/8"-Thick so-called bread.

You realize that THAT stuff just simply isn't bread. In fact, I believe it is illegal in Canada.

:: Wild attempt to veer back on topic! ::

My week (my month) has been really wild. It will likely be the weekend of March 8th and 9th when we have Doors of Love 4 and 5 ready.

You'll see more antics of Eran and Bryce and the bemused, confused, incredulous neighbor, then.

You haven't even seen the wallabies packing the ute yet, mates!

(I made that up, but Des can liberate it if he wants.)

Thanks Blue I appreciate your hard work.

I am sure no one will notice however as the daily bread recipes seem to have taken over.

I recently complained to the company from whom I buy bread. "New Improved" said the label.

So I sent them an email telling them that the new improved bread being full of holes and shrinking to half its size when toasted, was not what I would term an 'improvement.'

Believe it or not they sent me a $20 voucher to use at the local supermarket to help me "adjust to their new bread."

Of course, I can't be bought (for $20 anyway) so I sent it back to them, telling them they should use the money to buy flour.

I have heard nothing back, but the bread appears to have returned to its previous quality, if I can use such a term. :icon13:

It would appear they accepted your suggestion and the money and indeed added more flour to their product.

But just how long can $20 last them? You may have to be sending them this amount weekly to insure the quality lasts.

You probaby shouldn't be eating wheat products anyway.

Soy, sir. The whole world's turning to soy.

C

Yes, the whole world is turning to soy, and I'm fully convinced that 10 or 20 years from now it will be revealed that soy is actually detrimental to your health. I know that there are enough people allergic to it, and I'm one of them. I have to read the ingredients of all 'manufactured' food very carefully, and sadly, there are fewer and fewer products that are safe for me.

Soy in large quantities is not all that good for you.

Stick to the way the Asian cultures eat it.

In addition soy makes you gay.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=53327

Didn't we discuss this before on AD?

There once was a boy called Leroy,

Who ate lots and lots of Soy

He realised one day

This had made him gay

So he spent the night with Troy.

Then there was Bryce

Who ate nothing but rice

He knew about soy

Affecting his toy

But he said, " being gay is nice."

It's hardly self-serving. It is a public service announcement, and a damned good one. :flasher[1]::shock:

BTW, I almost had a dangerous fall myself, from laughing so damned hard. Damn, but you are writing funny enough to make this into a Laurel and Hardy routine. :shock: :shock: :smile::mean::lol: Absolutely wonderful stuff.

To be honest, I've never eaten stroopvet. It is the same with 'zure zult' (that has something to do with boiled brains and vinager); I just don't like it.

But you surely can recognise the Dutch by dubbel zoute drop of zwart/wit. If somebody eats it without spitting it immediately out of the mouth again, he's Dutch.

Here in the Netherlands we all lauged very hard about the scene in Pulp Fiction where John Travolta is amazed and disgusted by the fact the Dutch eat their French fries with mayonaise.

We do. A lot. Belgians too.

I'm not Dutch or Belgian. But I eat my French fries with mayonnaise. They taste so much better than with ketchup. Ketchup is overrated.

I'm not Dutch or Belgian. But I eat my French fries with mayonnaise. They taste so much better than with ketchup. Ketchup is overrated.

Never mind the mayonnaise or the ketchup, read my story with your fries. :hehe::lol:

But of course. There is also the French Canadian variation that has cheese curds on it as well. I can't have that, due to lactose issues, but it sure SOUNDS good. (Poutine)

• 2 weeks later...

I read all of the shorts that Des had over on CW this morning before I went to work, and I'm sure all my colleagues and residents were wondering why I had a grin pasted on my face and was prone to spontaneous chortling. These stories totally made my day at work...nothing could get me down until my boss sprung a surprise admit on me, but not even a truly comical story can overcome that tragedy. Still, up until lunch I had a first rate day, thanks to Des, Jase, Aaron and Bryce.

cheers!

aj

Glad we brightened your day aj.

Thanks for letting me know.

I will pass on your feedback to the boys if I can get them to stop kissing.

Chapters 6 and 7 are due out shortly.

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in Des' recent thread 'why I get discouraged' in Writer's Workshop:

I just finished Doors of Love which is just splendid. It's great fun, and a genre I can't remember ever reading before - gay humour. I've read gay romance, gay erotica, gay mystery, gay supernatural, gay s/f, gay dark drama, gay historical, gay all sorts of stuff but gay humour is new to me. I don't mean I've never read gay jokes, of course, but a well-written story, with interesting characterisation and a real plot an humour too is a rarity. And Des, you've got it beat.

The story is a real treat so thanks for writing it.

Bruin

Thanks again Bruin.

For better or worse I seem to be in a humorous mood in most of my writing, so far.

I would like to write something darker, but I keep remembering my old theatre director that told us (then young acolytes of the theatre) that if we wanted to understand drama we first must understand comedy, or we would never know when we being funny in the middle of a tragedy, which he thought was something that "would be best avoided."

I guess that is why I have great difficulty watching day time soap operas on TV; they all seem so laughable to me.

I just love those ironic moments in a story when you find yourself asking if the writer/director/actor is being "funny" or not. It reminds me of life. :icon_geek:

Fear not young Camy. My intention is to do little series of the boys in various ways and stories as the whim takes me.

And of course if people want to read about them.

I have a hectic schedule for the next couple of weeks and then I will work on getting the boys into another predicament.

I have plans for other stories as well. (Don't we all? :wav: )

And then there are the audio recordings I want to do too. (For my latest recording: Codey's New Course

Now where did I put my scheduler, Oh that's right, I threw it away during the hippie revolution.

It was easier just to tell everyone to take a ticket.

:wav: