Young Friends Holiday

Trab

Young Friends Holiday

I just finished this wonderful story, and I'd highly recommend it. There are some, shall we say "rousing moments" but it is the developing relationship that makes the story so dear.

My email to the author failed: no longer valid address.

Yes, this was a very nice story. I first read this a long time ago, at six or seven years ago; it was posted in 2000 according to Nifty, but I could've sworn it appeared earlier on Usenet.

There are aspects of it that are idealistic and even a little repetitious, but it's a heartfelt story and I thought it had some good aspects to it. I'd actually lean towards recommending it for B.O.N., as a matter of fact.

About the only thing that makes me squeamish is the age difference of the kids. 14 and 9 is a little, ah, much. If it were two teenagers, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

In all fairness to the story, the two kids that far apart never really did anything. The older one only did stuff with his same age friend. Only later in their lives did they start up anything. If anything, the continual mention of the responsibility of the older boy to the younger to not do anything is a good thing. Possibly the only thing really unlikely is that it took place in the 60's, since kids aged nine are much more worldly (although not world wise) nowadays. On the other hand, there is not quite so much misunderstanding of the nature of sexual orientation nowadays. There's still too much, and there's lots of non-acceptance, but not as badly as back then.

Ah, there you go. I'm glad to hear it's in B.O.N. already. Definitely a memorable tale, one I've read a couple of times.

I forgot to mention that it's Veddy British, which is a little difficult for an American like myself to get past. Some of the ideas and situations are very odd to me, especially looking at it across a time-frame of 40 years.

But the emotional content is universal. Love, affection, and loyalty are the same in any generation, and in any time and place.

I forgot to mention that it's Veddy British, which is a little difficult for an American like myself to get past. Some of the ideas and situations are very odd to me, especially looking at it across a time-frame of 40 years.

I must read more British stories than you do, because I didn't find anything terribly odd in it. I perhaps would have if I wasn't accustomed to reading stories set in that country. I really like British stories and writing. It somehow seems so much more civilized than much American writing.

I think I probably should have been a Brit. Except I'm not sure they'd have accepted me. I'm too independent in spirit.

Cole