Mini 'Across the Pond' Rant!

Measurements?

Ah well take the motion picture film industry.

I have a theory that the Europeans worked out the width of film is in millimetres, i.e. most commonly, 35 millimetres (35mm.)

Whilst the US worked out how long a film was in feet.

If the US had used millimetres they would have spelt it millimeters, which is wrong of course.

As every reel cinema projectionist knows how to work in both feet and millimetres, I cannot understand why we can't have both systems running concurrently.

It is much easier to maintain confusion with two systems than with one.

The public of course are more interested in knowing the time a film takes to watch, but they are just being annoying.

:icon_geek:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if we're discussing weights and measures, you can hardly get less logical than the UK, which went metric forty years ago but still measures roads in miles. If you go to a timber yard and ask for a ten foot length of 2 by 2 they look blankly at you and say we only sell in metric lengths. So you ask again - for a three metre length of 50mm by 50mm. And they get your timber and the bill says 3m of 2 by 2. Go figure.

Bruin

Edited to make 10 ft = 3M not 2M duh.

Well, if we're discussing weights and measures, you can hardly get less logical than the UK, which went metric forty years ago but still measures roads in miles. If you go to a timber yard and ask for a ten foot length of 2 by 2 they look blankly at you and say we only sell in metric lengths. So you ask again - for a two metre length of 50mm by 50mm. And they get your timber and the bill says 2m of 2 by 2. Go figure.

Bruin

err, ten feet is 2 metres? :icon_geek:

Try 3

We occasionally run into English vs. American problems in post-production. For example, the Brits write DD/MM/YY on the slates (excuse me, the "clapper") during production. We've always been MM/DD/YY.

Americans deal with scene numbers, then break each scene down into smaller pieces -- close-ups, medium shots, reaction shots, inserts, etc. -- with letters. So the master shot is scene 23, the medium shot is scene 23A, the close-up of one person is 23B, the close-up of another guy is 23C, and so on.

Brits give each shot an entirely separate number, starting with #1 on the first day of production and moving forward. So one day might start with 1201, then go to 1202, 1203, 1204 and so on. But that way, you have no idea where the shot actually is supposed to happen in the script. It makes no sense to me.

It's difficult to argue about topics like this because it boils down to the age-old "tradition" and personal preference. Logic doesn't necessarily apply to what different countries use. Me, I use "13 March 2008" in correspondence, but I always date files and other computer-related stuff as MM/DD/YYYY. And I'm a big stickler for 4-digit years.

Don't even get me started on what the Italians do in post-production. You think the Brits are wacky -- the Italians are great at certain things (like food and fast cars), but technology isn't one of them.

You can see the Italian influence on film in the final credits which have Roman numerals for the year of copyright.

I believe the French use numerals because they didn't want to put French letters on their movies.

Long live difference, I say. I love the differences:

In the UK, the Royal Mail service delivers the post.

In the USA, The US Postal Service delivers the mail.

What's that all about then?

Bruin, much amused.

Well, I have always been amused when I see a date like that... :icon_geek: I always write (and most Indians do) the Queen's way!!

:)

And btw, the Indian Postal Service delivers nothing.... on time.... :P

The Indian Post delivers nothing, on time? Strange. I ordered something from Bangalore and it arrived in 4 days, pretty decent for a package needing to clear customs. Maybe you meant internally in India? (I originally said "about 4 days" but that was because I was trying to figure out the date line factor. I finally gave up and just used the post marked date.)

You can see the Italian influence on film in the final credits which have Roman numerals for the year of copyright.

I believe the French use numerals because they didn't want to put French letters on their movies.

You old devil you!

As a boon to the younger set here, let me translate. 'French letters' was a term used way back when and I can't ever recall it being used recently, but it originally was a nicety for polite coversation and was a dainty way to say 'condom'.

For those who already knew this, which is probably most of you, sorry for taking your time needlessly.

And to Des: naughty naughty naughty. And funny, too!

C

Thanks, Cole. I didn't know that. I'd heard them called French safes, but not French letters. :icon_geek:

Cole? A boon? How many of the younger set will have heard about boons?

I did wonder if French letters would be known.

In Australia it is still quite well known even among young people, but then we are still trying to work out whether they should be measured in feet or metres. :icon_geek:

Hmm.

So now we know where we all stand date wise ... except I haven't got one, 'cause him indoors would be cross.

The BeaStKid said:

Well, I have always been amused when I see a date like that... I always write the Queen's way!!

And quite right, too. As should we all. :icon_geek:

I would write today as 12MAR08, but then again I also use 24-hour time and know what Zulu time is.

Me, I write dates 22 March 2008 (with spaces and 4 digits years). However dates in any format cause me no pause. I deal with people all over the planet every day in my job. I also have been using 24 hour time since I was about ten. (And I put a line through my 7's and Z's most times as well.)

So there.

You old devil you!

As a boon to the younger set here, let me translate. 'French letters' was a term used way back when and I can't ever recall it being used recently, but it originally was a nicety for polite conversation and was a dainty way to say 'condom'.

For those who already knew this, which is probably most of you, sorry for taking your time needlessly.

And to Des: naughty naughty naughty. And funny, too!

C

Say what? That is too weird. Was it the French who devised that, or the English, or the Americans (either the U.S. variety or the Canadian variety, makes no nevermind). Anyway, I certainly have never heard of "French letters" meaning 'condom'. Ewww.

Colin :icon_geek"

What's wrong with you people?

It's March 12, 2008

Or 3/12/08

Geeze.

lol

Uh, Caylor,

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but you must have missed February 29. :shame: Your message was written on March 13, you thought it was March 12. Remember: Spring foreword; Fall back. :icon6:

Colin :icon_geek:

Say what? That is too weird. Was it the French who devised that, or the English, or the Americans (either the U.S. variety or the Canadian variety, makes no nevermind). Anyway, I certainly have never heard of "French letters" meaning 'condom'. Ewww. - Colinian

Actually, I have no idea why they call it that, and it is a very old term. I have no idea how I know it, either. You pic k up some very odd knowledge as you wend your weary way westward towards the final sunset.

C

Uh, Caylor,

I hate to be the one to break the news to you, but you must have missed February 29. :shame: Your message was written on March 13, you thought it was March 12. Remember: Spring foreword; Fall back. :icon6:

Isn't that SOOOOOOO strange? I've been doing that all month, as if my subconscious refuses to admit to the leap day.

:hehe:

But that isn't the same thing as the stupid time change (spring ahead, fall back). That wasn't a prob. My computers and such did it for me, and only my bedside alarm clock and microwave needed changed. Same for the date though, and I still think one day behind.

Remember: Spring foreword; Fall back. :shame:

Hi Colin, Sherlock Holmes tells me you are American - and an author.

The Brits don't call the season Fall, they call it Autumn. And only an author would mis-spell Forward as Foreword.

Of course, I didn't need Sherlock - I knew you were an American Author anyway!!!

I think you have to be grey and balding to know that a French Letter is a Condom - I didn't realise the term had fallen out of use. So I'm grey, balding AND out of touch. Ho hum.

Bruin

Condoms:

Re: French letter = condom? from: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=584600

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's a reasonable explanation:

"The most likely origin of "French letters" lies in an interesting but now obsolete verb let, ?to hinder or prevent?, as in "without let" or hindrance and the more familiar tennis expression "let ball" (where the progress of the ball is hindered by the net). . .a letter could refer to someone or something that hindered. The purpose of the French letter is precisely this ? to hinder or prevent in this case conception or to prevent the spread of venereal infection" Wise Words - Episode 19 - Can We Help - ABC TV

Also a lengthier explanation of some weight:

http://bruneiresources.multiply.com/journal/item/84

I remember at high school, we called them Frenchies.

When I was around six or seven years old I also remember when plastic sandwich bags first made an appearance in our home.

They were quite hard to get and very expensive. I overheard my step-father and mother referring to the sandwich bags as French letters.

As they were so rare and expensive, Mum used to wash and dry the sandwich bags and then store them somewhere.

So after a big dinner party, as a dutiful son, I helped my Mum dry the dishes and the sandwich bags. In fact the entire family of friends and grandparents had decided to help mum with the dishes. I dried the sandwich bags and then asked innocently, "Where shall I put the French Letters?"

Needles to say there was much explaining for my parents to do, after I had been sent to my room. :icon_geek:

I can still see my grandfather doubled over in fits of laughter. :shame:

Camy! See what you have started?

Now the Americans are more confused than ever.

14th March, 2008

Des,

Oh yeah! A few more threads like this and they'll be offering us Guam. Soon, Manhattan!

Good plan, mate! ... though I thought we were sworn to secrecy?

Sincerely,

Camy

14th March, 2008

Des,

Oh yeah! A few more threads like this and they'll be offering us Guam. Soon, Manhattan!

Good plan, mate! ... though I thought we were sworn to secrecy?

Sincerely,

Camy

Oh I thought you knew, Aussies will swear to anything, except secrecy.

(PS Can I have Broadway, please?)