Nobody's Night

It didn’t seem to be the Lakers’ night tonight. No. Scratch that. It wasn't their night tonight, period. Sure, they were winning and all, but—come on—their score was way too low. I mean, they're playing the fucking Bobpussies! The score shouldn't be that close.

Just then, Kobe jumped and took a shot. And fucking missed!

Hello? We’re talking about Kobe here. Kobe makes those shots and doesn’t miss. Hell, I could’ve taken that shot, and I wouldn’t have missed! How could he?

Fuck, I don’t need to watch this!

But when I switched the TV off, the silence assaulted my ears, my very... being.

It was just too fucking quiet!

I turned the TV on again.

Then, I turned it off again.

FUCK!

Fucking hell of a night.

And if not for the sudden banging on my door, I probably would’ve thrown the remote at my TV. Sure, it was from a second hand shop, but it had still cost me money.

“JON!”

That voice.

“JON! I know you’re in there.”

Okay, it’s State the Obvious Day.

“Jon, please, open up!”

Why should I?

“I didn’t ditch you. Please believe me!”

Really?

“I had to take my mom to the hospital, and I forgot my phone at home. By the time I remembered to call you on a payphone, you wouldn’t pick up.”

I moved closer to the door, sighing, wishing I wasn’t so paranoid.

“I’m sorry,” he said.

I opened the door, and I couldn’t help laughing a little when he immediately fell to the floor. He must’ve been leaning on it. He also looked like he should’ve put me off for tomorrow instead. That really cooled me down fast.

I helped him up. Then, I hugged him. “I’m glad you didn’t just forget,” I said, finally relieved.

I had been about ready to trash my TV.

Note: Yes, I wrote this back when payphones were still relevant LOL!

12 hours ago, Merkin said:

R.J.-- This is all too believable.  I often take my personal frustrations out on my TV.  Good thing I don't ever throw that remote!

I find TVs nowadays are actually a lot cheaper (but still a lot of money 🤣🤣🤣)

I remember payphones... Good flash, Rad. 👍

Bloody TV. We got a flat-screen and the cat (kitten at the time) learnt to jump on top of it - probably because it drove us nuts.

So we hung it on the wall.

It was great for a couple of months... then the cat, getting older, found she could run, carom off the bookcase and land on top of the TV. She'd sit there smirking and then panic, nearly fall off, and scrabble at the screen with her claws. 'twas a bleedin' nightmare!

Now she sits on my lap instead, which is far more satisfactory for all concerned.

• 1 year later...

My cats, both of them, love to watch me play Red Dead Redemption 2. And each time they see an animal, they attack the screen. 

Good flash though. Why do we always jump to conclusion instead of just communicating with the other person. It would save a lot of stress and anxiety.