ADSR

Pfft, that's easy then.

Hazardous.

Maddy (:

Yup well done - I find my brain gets railroaded - once I'm thinking Tremendous, Stupendous.... I then can't derail the train of thought sufficiently to leap to hazardous.

No-one's even attempted Einstein's Puzzle yet? It's not impossible - it took me about twenty minutes. It helps to use paper pencil and eraser - or a blank spreadsheet would do fine.

Oh, and the words ending -gry? I know we're not really looking for them, but it struck me that if one is Hungry, another is Angry, the third one is likely Hopping Mad by now....

Bruin

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone come up with an English word that ends -mt (without using a dictionary)? There is at least one!

I never dreamt there wasn't.

I imagine the friend's clock chimes, but I can't come up with a strictly logical solution.

BTW, an "aggry" is a kind of Ghanaian glass bead. And I'm amazed that the AD spellchecker knows "Ghanaian", but not "Spellchecker".

Yup that's it. As far as I know the only word that ends -mt. But I'm sure someone will now prove me wrong....

I imagine the friend's clock chimes, but I can't come up with a strictly logical solution.

There is a logical solution, though... keep trying!

BTW, an "aggry" is a kind of Ghanaian glass bead. And I'm amazed that the AD spellchecker knows "Ghanaian", but not "Spellchecker".

Perhaps the AD spell-checker wants it hyphenated?

How about, he puts the friend's clock in a window facing his own house, then, when he gets home, which is just a few doors away, he just looks out his window to see the friend's clock?

How about he already knew that the walk from his friend's house took him a certain number of minutes?

(Provided of course he didn't stop to chat up the hunk who was jogging down the street.)

:wink:

Thanks Trab.

Trab is referring to my Doors Of Love story.

Final chapters now posted. :wink:

FINAL CHAPTERS? FINAL? FIIIIIIIINAAAAAL? NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo..............

Surely you meant, "latest chapters".

FINAL CHAPTERS? FINAL? FIIIIIIIINAAAAAL? NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo..............

Surely you meant, "latest chapters".

More to come as soon as I get time to write. :wink::icon13::icon6:

Okay. Phew. I've phone emergency services back, and they've cancelled the lights and sirens, but they're still going to check for racing heart and possible shock.

I don't see anyone coming up with any other useful -gry words. I don't think there are any other than hungry and angry. As for -mt words, I've got one, but will have to put in my earplugs first so I won't be deafened by your roars.

Okay, ready? Gustav Klimt.

C

Can anyone come up with an English word that ends -mt (without using a dictionary)? There is at least one!

And how about this - it's a logic puzzle.

A man lives in a house with only one clock and no other timepiece. He forgets to wind his clock and it stops so he doesn't know the time.

He walks to his friend's house, stays the night, walks back and now he knows what the correct time is so he resets his clock.

How does he do it?

Additional information: his friend's house is equipped with a clock but he doesn't borrow it or any other timepeice. He does not make use of radio or any other electronic means to get a time signal.

Bruin

How about, while at the friend's house, which is next door to his, he sees that at 4 o'clock exactly, the shadow of the top of the tree in the front yard falls precisely against the top of the telephone pole in his yard. The next day, he waits for the shadow to hit that point, and sets his clock accordingly.

C

Maybe he just set his watch at his friend's house, and when he got home, set his own clock to his watch.

No. That won't work, because the rules say 'no other timepieces'. Hmm.

This is getting too spread out for me. I've included hints from different posts.

And how about this - it's a logic puzzle.

A man lives in a house with only one clock and no other timepiece. He forgets to wind his clock and it stops so he doesn't know the time.

He walks to his friend's house, stays the night, walks back and now he knows what the correct time is so he resets his clock.

How does he do it?

Additional information: his friend's house is equipped with a clock but he doesn't borrow it or any other timepiece. He does not make use of radio or any other electronic means to get a time signal.

The solution to the clock puzzle doesn't depend on him already knowing how long it takes to walk to his friend's house, or on being able to see his friend's clock from his house. It works even if the friend lives miles away.

Haha. Before I try to seriously solve this puzzle... does he call his friend for the time? hahahah

(I know this is wrong, but everyone seems to be giving incorrect answers so here is mine 8D)

Maddy (:

Maddy, you have given me an idea. We could have an incorrect answer topic.

It wouldn't need any questions as any answer would automatically be wrong.

We could just post wrong answers all the time. What fun! :wink::icon13:

We could have an incorrect answer topic.

My two-penn'orth: The Butler Did It.

How's that for an incorrect answer?

And now here's the answer to my clock puzzle.

He winds his clock back up before he leaves to visit his friend.

And he notes the time on his clock when he leaves, and the time on his friend's clock when he arrives. He now has a time interval that would tell him how long the journey took him, except for the discrepancy between the two clocks.

He notes the time on his friend's clock before he sets off home, and the time on his own clock when he gets home. Again, he has a time interval that tells him the journey time skewed by the discrepancy between the two clocks.

However the discrepancy between the two clocks will increase the apparent journey time on one of his trips and decrease the apparent journey time on the other journey - by exactly the same amount. So if he adds the two time intervals, he gets his there-and-back journey time, because the time discrepancies cancel out. So if he divides this time by two he gets his one-way journey time, and he can subtract that from the journey time he measured to see by how much and in which direction to adjust his clock.

Easy when you know how!

Bruin

He doesn't need to wind the clock. Just needs to make two trips to see his friend, one after the other, and note the difference between the time on his friend's clock when he leaves, and the time when he returns.

He can do the maths on his second journey home.

In the time it took him to figure out what to do, walk back and forth, and sleep with his buddy, he could have just bought a new clock, already preset by the store.