Abraxas

Suggestions Sought

Okay, here's an issue for the various denizens of AwesomeDude:

As a consequence of my gradual conversion to Blu-ray, I have something on the order of 80-100 DVD's that I now have no use for. I don't want to just toss them out, after all, there's nothing wrong with them. So here's the question:

Does anyone know of a charitable organization I could donate them too? Most of the movies run the gamut of genres and their ratings range from G to R, so some are clearly not suitable for little kids.

Any suggestions?

Rick

Don't forget that there will be some films and TV shows that will never come out on Blu-Ray, particularly those done in standard-def. Don't be so quick to toss teh old DVDs unless you're sure the Blu-Rays are out.

I would agree as far as not wanting to buy any more standard-def DVDs of newly-released titles. If you want to get rid of them, the most profitable way to do so would be to sell 'em on eBay. You could also give them to charity -- for example, I know that AIDS hospices really cherish all the CDs and DVDs they can get to help entertain their patients.

Don't forget that there will be some films and TV shows that will never come out on Blu-Ray, particularly those done in standard-def. Don't be so quick to toss teh old DVDs unless you're sure the Blu-Rays are out.

I would agree as far as not wanting to buy any more standard-def DVDs of newly-released titles. If you want to get rid of them, the most profitable way to do so would be to sell 'em on eBay. You could also give them to charity -- for example, I know that AIDS hospices really cherish all the CDs and DVDs they can get to help entertain their patients.

As a video (DVD) store owner I agree with Pecman. Don't rush to get rid of your old titles.

As yet we have not had any requests to hire or buy a Blu-Ray disc.

Of course this is Australia but we are known for quick uptake of new technology if it is available.

Projected sales of Blu-Ray discs are not expected to exceed 25% for at least 12 months here. (These are figures reported in the local industry press, based on distributors trying to talk up the market.)

We have let our clients know we will supply Blu-Ray if they ask for them, but so far no one has expressed any interest.

In fact only last week an elderly lady proudly announced she had thrown out her VHS VCR tape player and bought "One of those new DVD things." She wasn't talking about Blu-Ray.

The distributors are not expecting a quick change over to Blu-Ray. In the press I see some concern that other formats may be released before Blu-Ray has made significant impact in the market place?

I would hang on to what I had in my private collection until I replaced them with the Blu-Ray versions.

If you can't sell them then the AIDS hospices sounds like a good idea to me.

:applause[1]:

Thanks for the suggestions guys, its certainly food for thought.

Of the titles I have in my donation pile, I've either replaced the copy with Blu-ray already, or I wasn't that impressed with the movie in the first place. I'll never give up a good DVD unless I can replace it with something better. I only recently threw out my VHS copy of the BBC's 'Blackadder' comedy series, because I was finally able to replace it with DVD.

While my part of the world may not be representative of the rest of the movie watching public, since the HD-DVD format went away, the stores in my area have sold out of dedicated Blu-ray players several times and report that software sales are way up over last year. We're also finally seeing same day and date release of new Blu-ray material with the standard def DVD's. I'm frothing at the mouth in anticipation of the release announcements from Paramount and Universal studios (of course, I froth at the mouth frequently anyway). :lol:

Rick

When do you people have this kind of time? I get up at 7 a.m. and go to bed around midnight, and I've had 2 DVD's sitting here, waiting to be viewed, for almost 2 months. I am boggled.

I'm with you, Trab. I just had five 14-hour days in a row, and I'm going on Saturday for a sixth day -- but only 12 hours this time. (I'm slacking off.)

I'm just glad my company is busy again. The Writers' strike just about killed us in January and February; those were the lowest paychecks I've had in years. Now, I'm raking it in, but jesus, am I tired. We're just sitting down to watch American Idol in a few minutes, and that's four days after it aired (and the first TV I've seen in more than a week).

Oddly enough, the local abuse shelter sent me an e-mail indicating they didn't accept donations...strange.

Still, I went ahead and followed up on one of the suggestions made here at AwesomeDude and contacted the local Ronald McDonald House, and they indicated they would happily accept the movies and DVD player I offered. I'm just waiting on a note telling me when and where to take them (we have two of them here in Denver).

Helping make a child and his/her family who is undergoing Chemo or some other serious medical procedure might not quite rank up there with helping abused kids, but I think its still a great use for perfectly good movies!

Thanks again to all who provided suggestions!

Rick