Looking In The Mirror

Passive

Oh ye skeptics and scoffers!!! Ok, listen up and I?ll explain the uselessness of the letter ?y?. My dislike for the letter ?y? began early in my school career but grew to near hatred in the fourth grade. Apparently fourth grade teachers don?t like to be told that they are teaching crap. I was sent directly to my mothers classroom with a note. This is an unfortunate consequence of attending the same school your mother teaches at?(deliberately dangling bAiT to catch a wandering wild editor)?the other teachers seem to skip the middleman and go directly for the juggler vein. Sealed notes are a sure fire way to know you?re in serious trouble and they should be outlawed. How can you come up with a good excuse if you don?t know what?s been written in a note?

Anyway, back to the ?y?. The ?y? is a wimpy letter that is only useful in chatroom talk, as in ?ne 1 wanna tell me y?? or ?y izat??. It doesn?t even have a sound of it own but is a parasite letter that attaches itself to a word and in most cases sucks the life out of ?i's and 'e's. One exception to this is the word 'anywhere'. In this case the terrorist 'y' is blocked from the 'e's by 'w'. We all know the best defense against a terrorist is dubu. Very few people realize that 'anywhere used to be spelled 'anewhere' but an unfortunate 'e' got caught on the wrong side of dubu and was sucked dry and replaced by the parasitic 'y' which then assumed the sound belonging to the late letter 'e'. 'Y's are particularly fond of 'e's and sometimes, even though they aren't ready to feed again, they will force their way into a word next to an 'e' as in 'keyboard'...formerly keboard and soon to be kyboard, as soon as that 'y' is ready to feed again.

Although the 'y' is not as fond of 'i's, they too are at risk from this threat. For example, consider the tipewriter industry. The 'y' attached itself to the first part of the word and soon replaced the 'i'. The 'e' and 'i' in the second part of the word was protected (see above paragraph and the reference to dubu). Recognizing the threat and in an effort to stop the spread of the insidious 'y', Remington and Corona went out of business and IBM changed the name of it's writer to Selectric. Just days before Selectric became sylyctryc, IBM changed it's business direction and concentrated on computers. However, having already discovered keboards (now keyboards), it's only a matter of time before the 'y's discover computers and we will all be using computyrs.

The economic impact of the constantly changing spellings as well as the productivity lost by both teachers and pupils having to teach and learn another letter of the alphabet, is incalculable. Just imagine the time saved if we didn't have to deal with the 'y'.

Ok...there you have the basics. I would like to leave you with one last question though....What the heck's the deal with 'and sometimes y'?

Code....Passive is soon to be a believer....notice how he spelled my name in his post?

Codey

...right behind the "at" ball...

...jugular vein, although since EleCivil was in on the conversation earlier, I guess juggler vein fits somehow. Hopefully, Clint will wear a cup *and* be careful of his jugular vein. I suppose that means a turtleneck or an unsightly neck brace.

The "Y" thing... *way* too much free time, buddy. LOL.

There's sort of a problem with that theory, though. I mean, you'd realy think X and Q were even more useless than a Y, which at least has a semi-consonant / sem-vowel sound, like in "yellow." But if you didn't have a Y or an X or a Q, then we'd have to call an XY chromosome something else. Then where would all us guys be, straight, gay, or whatever? Without Q, you wouldn't quite have "questioning" or "queer." Personally, I could do without the word, "queer," but "questioning," well, I can understand that, at least it's not phobic.

OK, I must have too much free time tonight too. :)

Hmm...juggler vain. I like it. It kind of implies that you've got to juggle to live. Reminds me of a quote...

"Philosophers for millenia have argued over the definition of 'man'. I propose that we should consider man to be 'the juggling animal' as no other species has managed to invent the three ball cascade. This would of course imply that any person who does not juggle is in some sense sub-human, but most of my readers have probably noticed this already."

-Andrew Conway

As far as Q goes...yeah, I'm all for losing that one. Q can't even do anything without U's help. Can't even stand on its own Scrabble tile - what's the deal with that? Q is just like one of those guys who hangs around with one of the popular kids, hoping to get attention but never quite fitting in. Q's not going to get anywhere until it stops riding U's success and builds a name for itself.

And what's the deal with the word "Queue"? Every time I see it I want to pronounce it as "Kyu-woo" just as a matter of protest.

I'd blame the French for "queue," since that's where it's from, but even with French spelling's odd rules, which are only slightly more sensible than English, well, "queue" still has too many letters. They could've spelled it "coe" or "keu" in French, and it would still make sense.

I've never gotten the hang of juggling. I don't know if I over-think it or if it's depth perception, with my eyesight, or what. Eh, but I can appreciate ppl who ~can~ juggle, even their fictional alter-egos.

I'd blame the French for "queue," since that's where it's from

So they're the ones, huh? And to think, I never had a problem with the French before. That does it. From now on, I'm referring to "queues" as "Freedom Lines". That'll teach 'em to put extra letters in things.

And yes, I am aware that I probably shouldn't use "'em" when talking about putting the correct number of letters in things.

aha!!!! I found one of those 'y's....look out e or we'll have to learn a new spelling for 'insane'!!!

And you doubters thought I was BS'g you. I will wait patiently for the apologies to come rolling in and will graciously accept them, then we can all join forces and defeat these evil 'y's.

:D

Codey

ps; I liked that one a lot Passive

Yea.....It's the the name I was born with. I can't let the fact that I'm a 'y' person destroy my happieness though. We have no control over the things we are born with and sometimes they are things we can't change so we just have to learn to live with them and deal with them the best we can. We 'y' people realize we are different and will face a lot of hardships before we come into our own. It's this knowledge and hope for the change in peoples thinking that comforts us during the rough times.

I used to use my middle name to hide the fact that I was a 'y' person but when the time was right I was able to assume my real name and admit that I was indeed one of "those" people. I may never learn to love being a 'y' person but I am learning to accept it and am becoming more comfortable with it everyday. :wink:

Maybe there's a lesson in there that would apply to other parts of our lives. :)

Codey

I'm sure he's getting at something important there. Hmm. What *could* it be???

You're entirely right, Codey. It's one of the ironies of my life that I am pretty much fine with my handicap, but my sexual orientation was a problem for me to accept. :shrugs:

The message wasn't aimed at you Ben.....but thanks for catching it. Did you check out the pic on the id I sent you....we still think it would be perfect for you lol Champ says first you were Blue then things got a little better so you became Ben Blue....he's so sure things are going to get better yet for you so you should just be Ben now. Quite good progress....you wen't from being blue to been blue and so it's time to be just plain ol happy Ben ummm unless you'd rather be Benny. :D

Codey

I was making an observation, but thanks Codey, I appreciate that.

Yeah, I got a kick out that avatar. Calvin and Hobbes are cool; I wish he still did the comic. -- I hadn't remembered ol' Calvin going au naturel before; good for the li'l guy. Hmm. Observation: Hobbes is always au naturel. But then, he's an enlightened tiger.

It's funny, "blue" didn't really have anything to do with being down, or the quote about all gay ppl turning blue for a day, or whatever. Really, the, uh, Freudian double-entendre slipped my mind too. It's actually related to a screen name on another forum.

I've mentioned my name's Ben a time or two before. It isn't as big a deal for me now. So in that sense, yes, I was "Blue" but got better. :) Just Ben, instead of Benjy or Benny. (I rarely get called those two, but they don't bother me.)

I don't see anything wrong with Codey, either, E or Y. But then, I'm "Y friendly." :wink:

------

Hey, and we got a good ::giggle:: out of RusticMonk, not bad a-tall.

Virtual "high-fives" don't work too well, huh? 'K, props anyway.

Thank god i've got a dubu in my name to protect that 'e'.

And i thought i'd just point out the one other great virtue of 'Y'...it's the chromosome that makes us who we are. That alone is enough to make me very tolerant of the rest of Y's shenanigans.

cheers!

aj