McDonald?s Caves In To AFA

E.J.

You know, this might actually be the core of a good story idea -- sort of a modernized update of Lord of the Flies. Group of male teenagers crashes on an island; though most of them are straight, they gradually realize they're never going to be rescued, and eventually fall in love and, well, do what teenagers do.

My twist would be, a few teenage girls show up, and now the "circumstantially gay" teens have to decide if they're going to stay with their current boyfriends, or cast them aside for girls.

I could see this becoming interesting. Hey, make it all happen on the Lost island, where magnetic disturbances, ghosts, and unexplained phenomena occur without warning. There's an idea.

Somebody get me J.J. Abrams on the phone! "Yeah, it's like Lost, only with an all-gay, teenage cast!"

Gilligan... ?:

Girly and Gay's Island.

Of course there has to be a cruise ship that sinks so they get stranded on the island. The ship was called the Stud Boat.

The captain went down on the crew with the ship.

The girls all end up on Fannie at Sea Island, and make periodic trips to Girly and Gay's Island for coconuts.

Then there would have to be pirates looking for booty, err sorry treasure, I mean treasure.

And there would have to be a native of the island called Fry-day who was robbing cruises that sailed past the island so he could give to the other poor naked natives who lived secretly on the other side of the island and worshipped big totem poles which they erected everywhere.

AT least with the gay version of Lord of the Flies, the eat me references would be more fun.

People could sing great songs by Roger's and Hammerstein, like Hunger for Springtime and I'm Gonna Wash That Hair Right Outta My Mouth

There is Nothing Like a Gay

Chappy Talk

And my favourite, Ball Me High

Should all make for Some kind of Enchanted Island.

:wav:

Hey1 I did all the post-production work on the home video versions of South Pacific for Fox (the official THX-certified versions). I had never even seen the movie before, but by god, I knew all the songs by the time we finished it. The color washes in some of those scenes were totally wacked-out -- bad decision by director Josh Logan. And the cross-dressing scenes with Ray Walston are among the gayest scenes ever for a 1950s musical.

Howard Stern has had some great "desert island" conversations on his show, some made to rattle homophobic staffers and listeners. For example, he'd say: "you're on a desert island with Oprah Winfrey, Beatrice Arthur, and Brad Pitt. You have to have sex with one of them. Who would you choose?"

Oprah is a black woman in her 50s who weighs 250 pounds. Beatrice Arthur is 86 years old. The brave straight guys would admit, "jesus... I guess I'd either kill myself or do Brad Pitt." Whereupon all the guys in the room would yell "FAGGOT!"

I still say, under the right circumstances, anybody could have sex with anyone. I like the subtleties of gray in people's lives and in their sexual orientation. We're gonna get into this in future installments of Pieces of Destiny, where we find out a certain character we thought we knew is not exactly gay.

To me, this is a great source for conflict that I don't see explored that much in gay fiction. What do you do when you discover your mate is having sex with a member of the opposite sex? They're obviously getting something they can't get from you. I see it as the exact feeling a wife must feel if she finds out her husband (or boyfriend) is having sex with a guy. This isn't exactly something they can compete with.

Can you imagine a worse desert island situation? A gay guy with a lesbian. The agony.

It depends on the lesbian. One of my best female friends is a lesbian, has lived with her girlfriend for more than five years. She and I actually talked about having a kid for a few months, but finally said, "aaaaa... too much trouble." (Given enough time and money, we could've done it.)

I think if this lady were to drop, oh, about 60 pounds, I might be able to do her in a desert island situation. I know she likes me, so that's not an issue. It'd be more a question of... uh, my ability to perform. After about a week of no sex, I could probably do it with a coconut tree, so I don't think it'd be a problem, at least on an occasional basis.

Just thought of a quick related side-story: a good friend of mine, gay for 20 years, lived with a woman for about five years. She was short, very tomboyish, had short hair, and a very small bosom. It took him some time to realize that he'd unwittingly chosen a woman who was as close to a young man as he could find, and yet they had a fulfilling sex life for most of their relationship. Eventually, she left him for a very fem woman, and he came out and had quite a few boyfriends over the next few years, until finally settling down.

He told me that he saw her recently, and they both kind of admitted to each other that they had fantasized about same-sex partners while having sex with each other. And yet, they loved each other on an emotional level. They were happier with their new sexual partners, but still maintain a friendship.

I think there's another story idea there.

The only natural conclusion on sexuality I can see is that we are all capable of orgasm.

The male has one function; to ejaculate. The female is more complicated in that it falls on her to not only conceive but also nurture.

All else is an environment for a social context that makes survival more likely.

Various laws and taboos grow within those social contexts, that affect the attitudes of those who are its members.

The cultural mores of various groups manifest attitudes to life in different ways. These are what we have to confront in order to realise the potential of our individual freedom as human beings.

I think it was Plato who had Socrates say, "Men are for loving, women are for having babies."

I will quickly add, that today I think there are many who realise that love is not confined to pairs of the opposite sex, or even of the same sex. What is more, and regardless of our orientation, it is possible to celebrate our love for each other in sexual expression.

Spending our lives with our choice of (adult, consenting) partner should never be an issue that concerns anyone but those two people.

Only then will we be able to climb every mountain, fiord every stream, and follow every rainbow till we find our dream -man, err mate, err partner, life companion...Oh Hell, fill in your own choice of words.

(with apologies to the Sound of Music et al.) :wav:

I grew up with all the great musicals and then later had the pleasure of screening most of them in their last 70mm incarnations in the cinema during 1970s. There is nothing quite like seeing these films on a 70 foot deep curve screen in the original 6 channel stereophonic sound.

Pecman, even the rave reviews of the 1958 South Pacific found fault with the color filters. Yet they are not as obviously horrid when they are on the big screen. The small (TV) screens just don't allow the same audience immersion into a larger than life world that was the highlight of Todd AO, (amongst others.) This was the era of performance cinema, which has sadly been abandoned in favour of popcorn profits.

I would never have sex with anyone for whom I didn't have a deep emotional attachment.

I realize that's a personal post, but my level of caring what people think is shrinking....

All posts are regarded as personal opinions as per the rules.

Not all of them are valued as highly as this one is, from Wibby.

:wav: