RIP Windows 3.x

Camy

I can build a PC from scratch and usually troubleshoot the physical breakdowns.

I still can't work out how to switch off a Mac machine or why I have to configure its memory for certain programs and not others, if I can find where to do that. Its video card controls are an enigma that seem greyed out or frozen.

I can build a PC from scratch and in college I repaired them for a living. I'm a geek. Hell, I can solder parts onto a motherboard without flinching. So I know PCs and like Pec, I've used both. I own a Windoze laptop.

You don't have to configure a Mac's memory. In fact, I'm not sure you CAN. I'm confused by that one point.

What's upsetting to us Mac people is the fact that people continue to bash Macs who clearly have absolutely no clue about them. (There are a segment of Mac people that return the favour).

You shut a Mac down the same way you do a PC. You select SHUT DOWN and then it shuts down and turns off. One menu choice. You have the START menu we have the APPLE menu.

I was working on a Mac which had a photo-shop type program and it kept freezing up on me until the Mac technician opened up a control panel and assigned more memory to the program. I saw him do it, but I have no idea how to do it myself.

Just how do you find the shutdown thingy on a Mac. Where is it? I couldn't find it. I suppose I didn't want to shutdown the apple I wanted to turn off the computer. Who knew there was an apple menu? :lol:

sorry

I was working on a Mac which had a photo-shop type program and it kept freezing up on me until the Mac technician opened up a control panel and assigned more memory to the program. I saw him do it, but I have no idea how to do it myself.

Just how do you find the shutdown thingy on a Mac. Where is it? I couldn't find it. I suppose I didn't want to shutdown the apple I wanted to turn off the computer. Who knew there was an apple menu? :lol:

sorry

You must have been using an old Mac. In older versions of the OS you could assign memory by application. Now it's all automatic. OS9 and older had (in the info window) a memory setting that was user controllable.

Shutdown is on the Apple Menu (OSX) and on older versions I don't remember but it's probably on the file menu?

You must have been using an old Mac. In older versions of the OS you could assign memory by application. Now it's all automatic. OS9 and older had (in the info window) a memory setting that was user controllable.

Shutdown is on the Apple Menu (OSX) and on older versions I don't remember but it's probably on the file menu?

Thanks Wibby, yes it was an older Mac, about 5 years ago. The computer itself may have been older as it belonged to a Government subsidised organisation run by people who only understood how not to support technology, but that is another story.