HIV taskforces to coincide with AIDS Day

Graeme

HIV taskforces to coincide with AIDS Day

December 1, 2008 - 10:20AM

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

Three new HIV taskforces have been announced in Victoria to coincide with World AIDS Day.

The taskforces will advise the Victorian government on HIV prevention, treatment and care, viral hepatitis and reproductive health.

Health Minister Daniel Andrews said the three taskforces would meet twice a year to form the Sexual Health and Viral Hepatitis Forum.

"On World AIDS day it is timely to announce these new advisory groups as we continue to boost support for people living with HIV and help stop the spread of the virus in Victoria," Mr Andrews said.

Mr Andrews said the government had allocated an extra $16.6 million over four years in this year's budget to tackle HIV and other communicable diseases.

? 2008 AAP

And here's another Article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081201/hl_af...oJli1Lfr7es0NUE

I challenge everyone to PLEASE show support for any AIDS charity in your area any way you can. I'm going to a candlelight vigil tonight here. Most communities are doing something. You may have to look for it because apparently AIDS is no longer "press-worthy".

While I'm on that point, I also challenge anyone reading this to NOT become apathetic about HIV/AIDS. Yes, there are new medications that effectively "control" the disease. But they are expensive, toxic, and far from a cure. Make NO MISTAKE this disease is still a killer. We can just delay it a bit longer.

I also challenge EVERYONE to get tested regularly. At least once a year. It is estimated that perhaps more than 25% of those currently infected have NOT been tested and are not even aware they carry the virus. That's the dirty little secret the CDC and WHO don't publish. Unfortunately, I speak from experience. :sad:

If you are reading this, chances are high that you know someone with this disease. Most will never admit it because of the stigma that is still attached. Just being gay in some parts of the world or even in this country is hard enough. adding the stigma of AIDS, well, ... So yes, there is much work yet to be done in this arena. The crisis is far from over.

Hugz everyone... :icon_geek:

Rick