Pizza

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1 choice: Pancetta, arugula, and basil. From Pizza Antica, Lafayette, CA. It might sound strange, but it's the best pizza I've ever eaten and is what I order every time I go to Pizza Antica. It's the thin crust type. I can eat a large one of these.

#2 choice: Pepperoni, spicy Italian sausage, and mushrooms. From Mangia Restorante Pizzeria, Lafayette, CA. This is the best PSM pizza I've ever had. Their crust is medium-thick and is crunchy on the bottom.

Colin :wink:

PIZZA! Now we're on a subject the I love. I like to add Italian sausage and mushrooms as my first choice. Now pepperoni has it's place as another favorite. But pineapple? That is just too weird.

We don't have the best pizza makers here in taco land New Mexico, but they try.

Colin...you mention one more pizza place that I've been to and so sorely miss the variety there, I'm going to...to...nevermind. You know what I mean.

Pizza Express.

Four cheeses with mushroom and pepperoni, followed by cheesecake and coffee.

Mmmmm. Feed Me!!!!

:icon_rabbit:

PS I find it really, REALLY hard to imagine someone can go through life without having eaten pizza. Oh, the suffering, the suffering! We need to save Trab, soonest.

PS I find it really, REALLY hard to imagine someone can go through life without having eaten pizza. Oh, the suffering, the suffering! We need to save Trab, soonest.

I agree Camy!! It's just shameful. I have to have one every week - homemade of course. A white pizza (pesto with olive oil and fresh garlic) thin sliced tomatoes, mushrooms and artichokes topped with GOOD italian cheeses --- YUM!

Well, when one cannot eat wheat without reaction, hate the taste and smell of garlic, are allergic to tomato and are also lactose intolerant therefore not being able to eat any cheese, it really makes no sense to even try pizza. I'll live, as long as I don't eat pizza. :icon_rabbit:

#1 Calzone

And I don't want to know what's in it. :lol:

Speak about strange combinations; We've got Domino's pizzza here in the NL, and they sell pizza with shoarma...

(And Trab; every normal person hates the taste and smell of garlic. :icon_rabbit: )

I knew we'd get one of two odd ducks advocating the disgraceful practice of putting pineapple on pizza.

Never, in my wildest imaginings, did I think I'd ever hear someone badmouthing garlic!

I didn't know that was possible.

Tell me, sir. Just how do you make scampi, or pico de gallo, or bruschetta, or lamb shanks?

It's a barren life, indeed, without an injection of garlic.

C<G>

Pizza Express.

They make a tasty pizza, indeed. I hope to be dining at one soon :)

Anyway, to answer Cole Slaw's question:

On a plain cheese pizza, I would add the following toppings:

1. Canadian Bacon (I will accept ham as a poor substitute)

2. More of #1

3. Extra Cheese

(If I can combine one and two, then I will add pineapple and if number three doesn't count, sweetcorn rocks on pizza but pizza express doesn't do that.)

Okay, okay, I'll answer. I'm not crazy about all vegetable pizzas, but will eat them. No anchovies for me. Other than that the sky's the limit. But you asked for favorites. Hmmmm?

Sausage with mushrooms, plenty of cheese and deep dish crust. My favorite place here in Sacramento is Zelda's.

I also like a meat combo pizza. Pepperoni is down on the list as I find it too salty. I have no objections to the Hawaiian style with ham and pineapple.

I will have to agree, garlic can enhance almost any dish used in moderation. Mash potatoes with a a few cloves of garlic blended in is great. (toss the cloves in with the potatoes while they boil, drain water and mash away).

Okay, Betty C and I are done now.

It's absolutely amazing how an originally Italian dish has become so American. By the way...the American version of pizza has no resemblance to the real Italian version (which was the original, by the way.). (Double play on words was intentional.)

Ever notice that when the teen characters of the stories that we read are always eating pizza when it's their choice? Pizza has become an icon of food from America. I occasionally do actually eat broccoli, you know?

Prior to going vegetarian, I'd always get anchovies on pizza.

Now, if I order a pizza, it's along the lines of:

Feta cheese

Banana peppers

Black olives

Ever notice that when the teen characters of the stories that we read are always eating pizza when it's their choice? Pizza has become an icon of food from America.

Blame it on an entire generation being raised by the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, who taught us that pizza was the food of fun-loving, crime-fighting, sub-terrainian, genetically-altered surfer-dudes. I mean, come on - who wouldn't want to be like them?

(Donatello was my favorite. He studied science and hit people with sticks.)

There's a place near me called Santoro's Brick Oven Pizza, and my favorite pizza is a modified South Philly. The original South Philly has red sauce, sauted onions and red peppers, and hot Italian sausage. My version uses pepperoni...just hits the spot for some reason, although it's good with the sausage. The crust is thin and crispy: Yummm. 9 AM...damn, they won't be open for another two hours!

I don't mind pineapple on a pizza, but can't stand anchovies. I'm also of the opinion that BBQ sauce belongs on Ribs and Chicken (also culinary delights, but that's another thread), NOT on pizza!

Rick

Completely aside from my inability to actually EAT pizza, my mother always maintained that pizza is like pie; dessert, not the meal. There is no way it would have been allowed to substitute for REAL food; same for cereal for breakfast, for that matter.

Chocolate cake is also a very well balanced meal including representatives from all of the major food groups. As Bill Cosby related it in the famous episode of his TV show (edited for brevity): Chocolate cake has eggs! And milk! And wheat! That's nutrition! You can see the episode here.

So, my question is this: where can I get a chocolate cake pizza? :lol:

Colin :hehe:

Pizza can be a very well balanced meal. It has components of all the major food groups.

I agree. And while technically tomatoes are fruit, it's usually safer to add pineapple to ensure that you have the "fruit" food group, too :lol:

I like Ham, Cheese and Pineapple pizzas. I've also had banana on pizzas, but that was at a hotel restaurant that was trying to go gourmet....

So-called gourmet pizzas are good from time to time, but if I have a choice, I'll just go for "the lot" or the local store speciality -- I love the rich mix of flavours from having a large number of toppings.

Chocolate cake is also a very well balanced meal including representatives from all of the major food groups. As Bill Cosby related it in the famous episode of his TV show (edited for brevity): Chocolate cake has eggs! And milk! And wheat! That's nutrition! You can see the episode here.

There used to be a chain of restaurants in Australia call "Death by Chocolate". I'm not sure, but I think they did a chocolate pizza....

There used to be a chain of restaurants in Australia call "Death by Chocolate". I'm not sure, but I think they did a chocolate pizza....

Yet another reason for me to take a trip to Oz!

Colin :lol:

Yet another reason for me to take a trip to Oz!

Alas, that was ten years ago. I believe they went bust.... I certainly can't find a reference to them anymore on the Internet.