The Jedi faith gains ground in England and Wales

Laugh if you will, but I've often been struck by the melding of religion, spirituality, and philosophy that Lucas stirred into the Star Wars mythos.

There's a great line by Yoda in Empire where he says "Luminous beings are we -- not this crude matter." I was really struck by this almost 30 years ago, and found it very profound. Much to my surprise, as I started reading about Buddhism a few months ago, I realized there's a ton of Buddhist ideas snuck into Star Wars -- the Yoda line "do or do not... there is no try" -- is one I found particularly apt. (I got to work with George for 8 weeks a few years ago, but I never had the chance to tell him how much that dialog meant to me. But it was written by Larry Kasdan, anyway.)

Granted, it's five-cent philosophy, but it's about as deep as it gets for a mass-market action film series that's made about $10 billion. Not a religion per se, but certainly some thought-provoking ideas.

At least it's better than the sand-headed crap that permeats Matrix. Good god, I'd like to smack the Wachowski brothers over the head with a large sack filled with manure...

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd rather be identified as a Jedi than most of the other religious sects that are out there...

How does one join, one wonders? Don a full length brown cowled robe while holding a naked upright saber before you while chanting "When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good you will not!" and whirling widdershins?

Hmmm...

Rick

Yoda the Cop?

Put away the booze or arrest you I will, he-he.

Yoda: This is the holding cell of enlightenment.

Thug: I'm not afraid.

Yoda: You will be, you will be... when I throw Big Bubba the molester in there with you dirtbag.

Powerful you have become, the dark side I sense in you therefore I'm going to kick your punk ass!