Remembering Joey

Remembering Joey

Here is a 'male' story if ever there was one. A touching tale of the bond that grows between two boys, the deep friendship that lasts their childhood. It is a male friendship, nothing more, but such friendship is a bond as strong as araldite and beautifully described here. The tragic end for one of the boys is described briefly, baldly, unemotionally, a typically male way of handling great grief.

A great short story, strongly recommended.

I'm not absolutely sure, but I think this can be part of the Drawn From Life part of the site. James has made reference before to a friend who was killed in Beirut. Certainly the way the story has been worded makes it seem like it's referring to real, not fictional, events.

It's a moving story and definitely recommended.

I very much agree with you, Bruin, as to the tone of this story, and love it for both the

story it tells and the way it is told.

Great work, James, thank you.

Tracy

• 3 weeks later...

Remembering Joey is a true story.

I have been astonished and amazed at the amount of feedback that I've received from it.

I have heard from people describing similar circumstances dating back as far as Vietnam and as recent as Iraq and Afghanistan.

It is a sad fraternity that we belong. I am humbled and grateful that I could, in some small way, speak to that loss.

James,

The Vietnam war was an abberation in our history. I was there (twice). I know how my peers treated me for being there. I had friends killed there, and the memories of them will never leave me . But the story of the lives and friendships of the people needs to be told, and I thank you for doing just that...to tell of the human side...to let people know that those killed were the boy next door.