James K

Readers like to read sex...

Well, sex sells lol. Personally, as a reader, sex scenes in stories tend to be written more like fillers than anything. I've read a lot of stories over the years but I can only remember only one story with well written sex in it and was not written as a filler (I tend to skip the few I encounter because they really read like a filler) — Crosscrurrents by Adam Phillips. And as a writer, I find sex scenes extremely difficult, more difficult than writing the actual story. I think it is a gift to be able to write effective sex scenes lol

Do they? Yes, I suppose there are some who do, I know I do if it is written well. However, even with my favourite authors I often find myself skipping the sexually explicit sections.

What I do know is that a lot of the emails I get about my writing is from readers who are thanking me for writing gay themed stories and avoiding descriptions of sex activities. 

It all comes down to ones individual taste. Some readers want sex in their reading, some don't. Hopefully there is sufficient variety in the wring available to support both.