No kisses please - we're Christians

If you don't hear from me after next month you know I have been captured.

A RADICAL U.S. preacher, who is set to visit Adelaide, says young Christians should not kiss or cuddle before marriage because they will get carried away and end up having sex.

Evangelist Sy Rogers, who says he is a former prostitute, transsexual and gay man, says "kisses and cuddles" and the "good old pash" are foreplay that people should not engage in before marriage.

Rogers, who says homosexuality can be "cured" with prayer, will speak at a conference at Enfield Baptist Church next month.

In a preview released yesterday, he promoted an extreme form of chastity.

"So when is it time to stir up sexual desire?" he asked. "When you can afford to: in marriage.

"Control sexual desire; don't let it control you."

While many churches, including the Catholics, the Anglicans and the Lutherans, promote chastity before marriage, it is unusual to suggest young people should have no contact at all.

Sexual health experts say the abstinence message is a dangerous one, because it leaves young people without the education and confidence to deal with sexual issues.

SHine SA (Sexual Health information networking & education) teacher education co-ordinator Jane Flentje said such extreme measures could lead to shame and guilt, and even increase the chances of sexual exploitation.

"(Abstinence) may mean kids delay having sex a bit longer, but on the whole they don't wait until they're married," she said. "When they do start having sex they're not using contraceptives and condomsas often, and they're not as comfortable talking to people about it.

"If kids don't get any opportunity to learn about this stuff and explore relationships, they're much more vulnerable to sexual exploitation."

Original Article here.

Obviously they are out to get me, his meeting will be held a few streets away from where I live. :icon_geek:

The approach is logical, in a stupid sort of way. It is much like counselling people to never borrow money, even little amounts, until you go for that mortgage on the house. Or experiment with different foods, until you've thrown yourself into the culture of a different country. Or maybe, to never make any bet, even the tiniest one, until you are ready to bet your life savings on the big lotto. Maybe it could be carried as far as never praying, preaching religion, or going to church until you COMMIT YOUR LIFE TO JESUS WHOLLY. This last one sounds positively idyllic to me.

The approach is logical, in a stupid sort of way. It is much like counseling people to never borrow money, even little amounts, until you go for that mortgage on the house. Or experiment with different foods, until you've thrown yourself into the culture of a different country. Or maybe, to never make any bet, even the tiniest one, until you are ready to bet your life savings on the big lotto. Maybe it could be carried as far as never praying, preaching religion, or going to church until you COMMIT YOUR LIFE TO JESUS WHOLLY. This last one sounds positively idyllic to me.

Your examples were certainly intended to show what they do: how incredibly simpleminded the premise is. Deny yourself any opportunity to learn the basics of what you're going to be doing, and then jump into it whole hog and expect everything to go swimmingly.

Perhaps a minister is advising this as a surefire way of insuring lots of money coming in from future couples counseling.

C

PS - I love the inference in the article that since he was once a prostitute, he knows all about sex. Sure, just like a garage mechanic knows how to design an engine, or a bookseller knows how to write. Obvious, isn't it?

I'll bet I could cure his nappy ass. No wait: for those preacher types it usually takes someone significantly younger- like 12.

James, You are SO right! :wub::wav::wav:

Colin :icon_geek:

Doesn't say much for my neighbourhood that they invited the nutcase here to spread his idiocy, does it? I'm frightened to go outside. :icon_geek: