The Semicolon

Sup? -a code word teenagers use to find out if there are any drugs available.

Naaaa. I work with a bunch of 20-somethings, and we say that all the time when we see each other at the beginning of our shift -- as in "Yo! Sup?" Drugs ain't got anything to do with it. Everybody says it, at every age, across racial, economic, and age boundaries.

I refuse to be part of the "Sup" generation, but I do go along with "yo" (stemming from Spanish, which infiltrates LA at every sector). The worst I go is, "yo! What's happening?" But I do draw the line at saying "Que pasa?"

Guest Fritz

Forsooth, I dost trow this thread hast gone afield. But as you point out Des, English is a living language and has lived past such words as trow and forsooth. Quick translation of my first sentence. In truth, I know that this thread has been hijacked.

One thing though, while I would be happy to switch to British punctuation rules (likely using them as poorly as I use the American ones), spelling was something I said we should work on and pointed out that some British spellings should be changed in my opinion.

In the meantime, I like your phrase, "How goes it with you knave?" I think I need to start using it in my emails, but I need a feminine equivalent for the times I correspond with the fairer sex.

Naaaa. I work with a bunch of 20-somethings, and we say that all the time when we see each other at the beginning of our shift -- as in "Yo! Sup?" Drugs ain't got anything to do with it. Everybody says it, at every age, across racial, economic, and age boundaries.

I refuse to be part of the "Sup" generation, but I do go along with "yo" (stemming from Spanish, which infiltrates LA at every sector). The worst I go is, "yo! What's happening?" But I do draw the line at saying "Que pasa?"

Of course drugs have nothing to do with it Pec, I was reporting the newspaper concocting a definition for its own purposes as I noted. (I no longer have the article from some years ago.)

Fritz, as I tried to say, I think we get too obsessed with the differences in spelling between UK and US, but I am much less tolerant of misuse of words like quite when the author means quiet, for example.

As for a feminine equivalent, I might suggest:

"What's you pleasure, wench?"

perhaps not.

You could try "Greetings dudette?"

(I know, I know it is just as well I am gay.)

Best stay with "Hi, equal human being of the female persuasion."

:icon_twisted:

In the meantime, I like your phrase, "How goes it with you knave?" I think I need to start using it in my emails, but I need a feminine equivalent for the times I correspond with the fairer sex.

Well, if you want to stay in traditional English, there's always m'lady, which would have to flatter most any female, I'd guess.

But the feminine form of knave has to be knavette, doesn't it? If Smurfette was the official designation for the lone distaff Smurf, I think that makes this the form of choice.

C

If smurf becomes smurfette for the feminine, and dude becomes dudette, does that make a cigarette feminine?

With careful delicacy, Bill held it, studied it, then placed it between his lips. A light touch with his tongue, then he sucked deeply, pulling the essence deep within him. Not once, not twice, but over and over, till there was no more to extract. "Ah, I love a good cigar."

With careful delicacy, Bill held it, studied it, then placed it between his lips. A light touch with his tongue, then he sucked deeply, pulling the essence deep within him. Not once, not twice, but over and over, till there was no more to extract. "Ah, I love a good cigar."

Very nice, Trab, but I have to point out a flaw; there are no semicolons in it :icon_twisted:

Semicolons? SEMICOLONS? Who needs those f***ing semicolons anyway. Just add periods, new sentences and commas.

From the other perspective:

He slowly, sensuously slipped me into his mouth. Shortly afterward, i could feel his tongue caress my tip. He loves me; I could tell. (See, a semicolon.) I wondered how long he would make me last. I can be good to him. I know it. I know he loves Cubans, We're so sensual, and so expensive, but I know he has good tastes. He's the one that wants me, and he can afford me. My essence swirls around his nose and he inhales me...all of me.

Okay! That's enough! You'd think this was Nifty or something! :icon_twisted:

Believe me, it is not only here that threads go awry. In another forum a lady posted about a new baby in her family, and in about 8 posts we are talking about how Hitler affected the economy of the UK back in the 1940's. Mind you, AD seems to be a bit more 'creative' in how far we degenerate.

Richard wrote,

He slowly, sensuously slipped me into his mouth. Shortly afterward, i could feel his tongue caress my tip. He loves me; I could tell. (See, a semicolon.) I wondered how long he would make me last. I can be good to him. I know it. I know he loves Cubans, We're so sensual, and so expensive, but I know he has good tastes. He's the one that wants me, and he can afford me. My essence swirls around his nose and he inhales me...all of me.

Priceless, just f***ing priceless. Creative writing at its best.