What should WBMS do.......

Hello :)

I was sitting on the tarmac this past Sunday waiting for our plane to take off. An hour later, it finally did.

By that time my boredom had created a character for me. I've got a great character. I need to plop him into a story. And therein lies the rub (to steal a clich?).

I'm not sure WHAT genre to do. I was thinking Epic Fantasy. I've already done Urban Fantasy (that's where I put AWMS & IDAD). I've done Contemporary (ADIP). I can't write Murder very well -- besides Josh Aterovis owns that market. I refuse to do a Harlequin-type romance.

So I've got science fiction, Epic Fantasy, Contemporary. What would people like to see me write. (If you think I suck at writing "nothing" is certainly a valid option). I'm being terribly indecisive and vacillating heavily.

I'm just not quite sure what I want to do. My readers don't write, so I'm hoping some fellow authors will help me decide.

Thanks!

-- wbms

I am not sure if this work will be for posting or not. But I write lots of stuff. I just don't post it all. I have to get a good feel about it before it sees the light of day.

Keep rubbing, that's a start, although you might not get much written that way, lol. ~ OK, I won't go off on a whole riff on rubbing, rubbings, rubbing someone the right/wrong way.... { Gets dizzy from straining the metaphor and falls over. }

Back to being serious. What's the character like? That might determine what he'll do. Why not write a little bit, to see where he starts going, without worrying about genre. It seems like you're getting yourself stuck trying to narrow it down to a story type or genre, when you don't want to narrow your field down, since you just have a character and not any other characters or situations or plots. Once you get an idea where he's going with all this, then you can either plot something out or keep going without knowing it in advance. That would depend on how you like to write. Maybe a little less structure or a little more structure would help you out? From what you've written on your site and an item or two elsewhere (mailcrew, etc.) I take it you tend toward the highly structured and detail-oriented, so maybe trying the reverse will help.

I agree with Blue. Don't box yourself into a particular genre. If you really know this character, try to imagine what type of setting and situation would be the most challenging to this particular person, physically and psychologically, and you are bound to have an interesting story.

I agree with Blue. Don't box yourself into a particular genre. If you really know this character, try to imagine what type of setting and situation would be the most challenging to this particular person, physically and psychologically, and you are bound to have an interesting story.

This character is, shall we say, terribly angry. He'd be at home in any genre. The easiest for me to write would probably be straight (bad choice of words, huh?) Epic Fantasy because the rules are a lot more lax.

I'm still toying with what to do. Just want you all to know I appreciate the feedback so far.

-- wbms