Codey don't feel so bad about your school

Atleast your not going to jail.

from aintitcoolnews.com

This is terribly uncool. Kid arrested as a terrorist for writing a fictional zombie story...

Ahoy, squirts! Quint here. I'm sorry, this isn't movie news or anything even close to being cool. This might stray a bit into some angry political debates below, but I find it hard to believe even the most radical of conservatives can honestly look at a piece of fiction written by a kid, a school assignment no less, and say that warrants him being arrested for terrorist threats. Really, where is the line going to be drawn? His story was about zombies overtaking a school and that was construed as a serious threat made against the school, ignoring the fact that no one in the story is a real person and the school is different. This guy's soon to go on trial for a felony offense and it makes me sick, personally. What's next? Stephen King better watch out because he's murdered thousands of fake people and, like King did in THE STAND, Tom Clancy has set off fake nukes on fake American soil... if that's not a terrorist threat, I don't know what is.

Am I the only one ****ed off by this? If you agree that this is just and right, please let me know what I'm overlooking in the talkback below. To me this is so amazingly unAmerican... I can't believe something like this is happening in my country. Here's the full story:

Hey Harry, this isn't cool...it's kind of the antithesis of cool. But it's the kind of thing that a lot of people need to know about. We're crossing the line and now I think our freedom is really at stake.

CLARK COUNTY

Student Arrested For Terroristic Threatening Says Incident A Misunderstanding

A George Rogers Clark High School junior arrested Tuesday for making terrorist threats told LEX 18 News Thursday that the "writings" that got him arrested are being taken out of context.

Winchester police say William Poole, 18, was taken into custody Tuesday morning. Investigators say they discovered materials at Poole's home that outline possible acts of violence aimed at students, teachers, and police.

Poole told LEX 18 that the whole incident is a big misunderstanding. He claims that what his grandparents found in his journal and turned into police was a short story he wrote for English class.

"My story is based on fiction," said Poole, who faces a second-degree felony terrorist threatening charge. "It's a fake story. I made it up. I've been working on one of my short stories, (and) the short story they found was about zombies. Yes, it did say a high school. It was about a high school over ran by zombies."

Even so, police say the nature of the story makes it a felony. "Anytime you make any threat or possess matter involving a school or function it's a felony in the state of Kentucky," said Winchester Police detective Steven Caudill.

Poole disputes that he was threatening anyone.

"It didn't mention nobody who lives in Clark County, didn't mention (George Rogers Clark High School), didn't mention no principal or cops, nothing,"

said Poole. "Half the people at high school know me. They know I'm not that stupid, that crazy."

On Thursday, a judge raised Poole's bond from one to five thousand dollars after prosecutors requested it, citing the seriousness of the charge.

Poole is being held at the Clark County Detention Center.

http://www.lex18.com/global/story.a...tType=Printable

Surely there has to be ONE sane person who'll work out what really happened?

What really amazes me is (a) the boy was turned in by his grandparents, and (b) the judge INCREASED the bail amount.

Fanaticism gone mad.... :evil:

Graeme

Agreed about the grandparents - I wonder if there are other issues involved? I hate to stereotype that part of the countr, but having grown up in that area, I would bet the kid's journal contained things that offended the grandparents' religious "sensibilities." Its a shame that the kid is 18, as that does toss him into the adult class for trial purposes.

On the bail, the judge may have had no choice, as sometimes bail amounts are determned by the severity of the charge. I would bet that the bail range for that offense starts at $5,000. From the intial bail amount, I bet the judge thought the charges were very weak at best. Hopefully, the charges will go away, and the kid can move away from the grandparents!!

I have another question about this. Why were the grandparents reading the kids private journal? This is an invasion of the boy's privacy. When it's all over he needs to get the hell away from those ppl!!! They don't deserve grandchildren!!

I know it sounded like I was complaining about my punishment but truthfully it was as light as they could make it and keep up apperances. The school recognized it as a harmless prank that went wrong. My stupidity about computer networks is almost as big a joke as my post.

I really do go to a great school and am proud to be a student there.

Codey

What surprises me about all this is that anyone is really surprised by this obvious and blatant infraction of this boy's first amendment rights. This is the meaning of Homeland Security, and what happens when threats from 'terrorists' are used to terrify a country's population into passively giving up their rights, which is exactly where so many of the Bush administration's tactics have been headed--everything from a color-coded "Threat assessment" system to the creation of a 'homeland security' department in the first place. The point is, and always has been, to instill fear in the general populace, so that they will allow the regime to compromise their liberties in the name of "making the world a safer place" for them.

aj

• 3 months later...