Ten Words You Need to Stop Misspelling

I must say, in all my life, I never would have thought the image of someone trying to ride a wolverine would enter my consciousness.

It's possible some of the readers here are not acquainted with wolverines, for which they can give thanks. They're vile, vicious, feral and savage. They also stand about eight inches high off the ground on all four legs, so one would have to be very short to ride on one. And even then, given the nature of a wolverine, it woudn't be much of a ride because almost immediately upon mounting him he'd turn back on you and bite your dangling participles off.

C

If you are drinking with Panda bears, you'll want to remember to have a bucket.

And don't let them drive drunk!

Perhaps shouldn't ever let them drive.

Colin :sneaky:

Hey - I can hold my drink! Who says I can't?

(Does anyone confuse THEN with THAN? A pretty crass mistake, I think!)

Occasionally I do read something and begin to suspect that the author has dictated into speech-to-text software, because the errors are soundalike ones, like through and threw. Does anyone write stories by speaking into a microphone? I've often wondered if it would be practical...

I forgot about our resident Panda, shame on me :sneaky:

Of course Bruin is a lot smarter than the average Panda.

( I wonder if he sleeps with emus? Camy and Bruin, hmm, might be a match.) :shock:

Hey - I can hold my drink! Who says I can't?

(Does anyone confuse THEN with THAN? A pretty crass mistake, I think!)

Occasionally I do read something and begin to suspect that the author has dictated into speech-to-text software, because the errors are soundalike ones, like through and threw. Does anyone write stories by speaking into a microphone? I've often wondered if it would be practical...

I've never done that, but part of it has appeal. I sometimes get a story idea, a rather complex one, and by the time I get it written down, part of the subtlety has disappeared from my rather porous brain. I've often thought, if I had a recorder, I could say it a whole lot faster than I could write it and nothing would be lost.

I wonder if it would be good for writing a story, however. There's some sort of magic that occurs when you're writing. Ideas come and seem to be stimulated by the progression of words from mind to computer screen through your fingertips. Perhaps it's the pace of getting it down, the fingers forcing you to slow down a bit, and I wonder if something of that stimulation would be lost by being able to go faster. I wonder if speaking the story would interfere with the thought process.

Why don't you try it, Bruin, and give a report on the results?

C

I tried dictating my thoughts, outlines etc., but it just doesn't do it for me. I found the recording was a world of its own, with no stimulus.

It didn't remind me of my creative state and it seemed lost somehow, trapped by its own rules. The connective structure between my mind and the story was broken, a bridge without a road leading to it.

It was useful to collect phrases for later deliberation, but no good at all to actually construct the story, itself.

I must confess to doing this in the car, whilst travelling. Some of my best ideas have come from talking to myself in the car, play-acting the characters, almost like being in a dream and then writing it all down as soon as I wake up or get out of the car.

I suppose I should attempt to dictate a story in the confines and privacy of the computer room; perhaps that would be more successful.

I guess I am influenced by my acting experiences where I need a script to record. I can't just prattle on live.

Certainly I have read some stories (on Nifty) that seem to have been dictated to a recorder, and not proofed, and they all seem to be reminiscent of daytime TV soap operas with no depth and meandering descriptions of mundane matters that seem to ramble on and on with no real purpose but to keep us reading the trivial pursuits of the mediocre days of the lives of characters long lost in the meaningless void of boredom, if you see what I mean. :smile:

Should we add candidates to the list? It might help further the education of would-be authors.

I'll start with these which were seen in stories I didn't finish reading. To avoid any embarrassment, we won't mention the story titles.

Board - bored.

under ware - underwear

your owner - your honour

boldge in his underwear - a bold bulge?

Feel free to add more.