Mission to Save Aussie City

US missionaries called to save godless city

The Northern Territory in Australia is to have its Capital City, Darwin, saved by a group from the USA.

DARWIN has been "claimed" by a southern US evangelist family who plan to set up a mission in the place they call "the unreached city".

The Gibbs family, Baptists from North Carolina, say they read about Darwin's high rates of drinking and sexually transmitted diseases and know the place needs help.

They have set up a website called "
aussiebound
" to spread the word about their mission, called "Claiming the City of Darwin, Australia for Christ".

I'd wish the Gibbs the best of luck, with that, if they weren't so stupid to think I was serious.

They seem to not understand that there is a large Australian indigenous population in the Northern Territory who have absolutely had it up to their necks with "helpful" white folk. Our Aussie Governments are well aware of the problems in the Northern Territory and quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gibbs family members were refused visas. I can but hope. Half of the population of Darwin are already Christian, the other half openly claim no religion, according to Wiki.

See the report in the Northern Territory Times newspaper.

Why can't they leave us alone? We don't need any more saving.

:icon_geek:

That's the first time I have been called Mr. Downunder, Mr Levesque.

Hey how about you call me Des, and I call you Brody? We don't go in for a lot of formality around here except for His Dudeness (because he is Awesome.)

As for the Gibbs family, I managed to find their site and even looked a little further and found a photo of the family, all now apparently missing in action or the lack thereof.

Their blog is cached at Google here My advice is don't bother, you have better things to do. :icon_geek:

Brody, it appears that all the sites which featured the Gibbs family plan for Darwin have been taken down. The only ones remaining are those sites which do not seem to understand the epic crusade by this family to raise food for the lions. :wav:

The story has brought forth comments at no less than Richard Dawkins (forum) site

:wav:

I'm not sure I've exactly got the gist of all this, but it appears, after a casual perusal and without jumping to any of the linked sites, that a group of revolutionary Baptists is planning to conquer a small village in the extreme outback of Australia for the scurrilous purpose of raising the citizenry to be used as lion food. A Mr. Downunder is rallying the forces of the government to intervene on their behalf.

I think I've got that right. Yes, that was it.

So, I say, cheers for this Downunder chap, and jolly good show.

C

I say, I think that Downunder chap has something against lions and wants to see them starve to death. Thanks for cutting through all the words to the heart of the matter Cole.

I say, I think that Downunder chap has something against lions and wants to see them starve to death. Thanks for cutting through all the words to the heart of the matter Cole.

Well, when the Gibbs arrive in Darwin there will be a nice new supply of lion food.

Colin :icon_geek:

The arrogance of "missionaries" never fails to astonish me.

They go all over the world to places that have thousands of years of recorded history to share the one true religion.

The reality of the situation is that they should STFU and stop embarrassing themselves.

The arrogance of "missionaries" never fails to astonish me.

They go all over the world to places that have thousands of years of recorded history to share the one true religion.

The reality of the situation is that they should STFU and stop embarrassing themselves.

The problem is they don't recognise their mission as embarrassing.

I rather suspect we are the ones who should be embarrassed for letting them destroy cultures they think need "saving," through their evangelising.

But I agree, we really shouldn't resist the opportunity to tell them to STFU.

If they want to help the starving, the poor, the sick and injured, then let them take a vow of silence first.

Now that would be Heaven to my ears. :icon_geek:

It isn't only embarrassing. That's not what bothers me so much. It's that it's condescending. It's that they're saying this is a people who lack what they themselves have, a people that needs saving.

Who are they to make such a judgment? It's another case of Christians going against one of the tenants of their religion.

C

Actually somewhere Christ is purported to have told his disciples to "spread the word" or something like that.

I just wish that was one of those things they choose to selectively ignore.