The Errand Boy by Cole Parker.

Camy

Sadly, Cole has gone mildly mad. This: - a banana, blueberry and shredded-coconut salad dressed lightly in mayonnaise - is just wrong. Mayonnaise with banana???!!! Yick! Pah!

A salad has shrubbery and cucumber and tomatoes etc, NOT bananas, blueberries and shredded-coconut... bananas, blueberries and shredded-coconut is, with double cream, a delightful pud. 'nuff said.

'The Errand Boy' is another peachy Parker. Read it, do!

https://awesomedude.com/cole-parker/the-errand-boy/the-errand-boy.htm

19 hours ago, Camy said:

A salad has shrubbery and cucumber and tomatoes etc, NOT bananas, blueberries and shredded-coconut... bananas, blueberries and shredded-coconut is, with double cream, a delightful pud. 'nuff said.

Never heard of a fruit salad?

Pay no attention to Camy, Cole.  That salad and many like it are served all over the South.  The classic version of it is the Waldorf Salad, using apples and raisins and celery.  The main controversy about these salads seems to be whether to use Duke's mayonnaise or some other brand. Since I grew up in New England I prefer to use Hellman's and as a result my fruit salads are often shunned at local covered-dish suppers here in Virginia.

I should clarify that I was only searching for "banana blueberry coconut" and not "Waldorf salad."  Even I, out here in the depraved wilds of southern California, know the difference!

If I was going to choose a salad, it would be a spinach salad with crumbled hardboiled egg and warm bacon dressing.

R

5 hours ago, Merkin said:

Pay no attention to Camy, Cole.  That salad and many like it are served all over the South.  The classic version of it is the Waldorf Salad, using apples and raisins and celery.  The main controversy about these salads seems to be whether to use Duke's mayonnaise or some other brand. Since I grew up in New England I prefer to use Hellman's and as a result my fruit salads are often shunned at local covered-dish suppers here in Virginia.

Very glad to see there's at least one sagacious member of this forum.  Mayo with fruit adds a richness and piquancy that is amazing it you've never had it.  It's quite nice with bananas, too, if I may take exception to some benighted opinions here.  I've never heard of Duke's mayonnaise.  Hellman's or Kraft's, which may be the same thing, are good and Duke's may be as well.

23 hours ago, Rutabaga said:

What I’m really confused by, though, is:  Are there more parts to this story coming?

R

What I was deftly doing was leaving my options open.

C

5 hours ago, Cole Parker said:
On 1/15/2022 at 1:33 PM, Rutabaga said:

What I’m really confused by, though, is:  Are there more parts to this story coming?

R

What I was deftly doing was leaving my options open.

Maybe we should send you challenge pictures, similar to what Pedro is working from.

R