British Aristocracy

This from mylondon.news, in an article about Princess Diana and her family:

"Diana's brother Earl has four children, and Louis, the youngest, was just a toddler when Diana died in Paris."

Diana's brother is called Charles Edward Maurice Spencer. He is Earl Spencer, but that's his title, not his name.

It seems the British Aristocracy system is difficult for even a web news service named after its centre, London, to grasp.

Incidentally, the headline of the article claims that Louis, rather than William or Harry, is in line to inherit Diana's mansion, Althorp House. It was Diana's childhood home, but it never belonged to her. It belongs to Charles, Earl Spencer, so naturally one of his children will inherit. Maybe I should in future ignore mylondon.news as an unreliable source. I fear I've become the victim of clickbait. 😝

12 hours ago, Bruin Fisher said:

Incidentally, the headline of the article claims that Louis, rather than William or Harry, is in line to inherit Diana's mansion, Althorp House.

Given that the Althorp estate is entailed it belongs to the Earl Spencer, so it will go wherever the title goes.