The Scrolls of Icaria - Update and Thanks

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jamie-

I'm absolutely addicted to TSOI and check the site everyday for new postings. It's great fun and I love it! I keep hoping that Cody (the angel from the story, not the one from this site) will find a pal. :smt059

As I have a story of my own in progress, I know what a chore it is. I am on a break from my own story while I spin up my new PC. After 20 something chapters, the readers will just have to forgive me. :smt100

-James

Thank you for your kind words, Jamie. It's been a bit of a learning curve, figuring out the editing game. It's not very easy, sometimes, figuring out how to keep that sentence from ending with a participle and not using the word 'which' every time, or working in a word that more closely catches the nuance that is needed in a particular given passage. I had no idea, when i started all this, what was actually involved.

One of the things i'm discovering is that good prose is not unlike poetry in some ways...the way a passage sounds is important, not just the clarity with which it conveys meaning. I try, when editing the scrolls, to bring a sense of sonic play to the work, through alliteration and assonance, while trying to keep it subtle enough not be obtrusive.

Working on the scrolls, i have to say, is purely a pleasure. It's a work with literary value, and knowing that i am instrumental, even in a small way, in producing work like that is truly rewarding.

cheep, cheep

aj

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jamie, they're right. TSoI is a good story. You've developed original characters in an original universe. It is so much different than many things I have read. (reading Oedipus Rex right now, tomorrow I start reading Medea) Good job. Please let us know more about that Darroot Tea again soon. I find it to be a curious item in your world. I think that your use of the French language in the story is also a neat addition.

Okie-dokie, That's all I have to say for now. I'm not going to give you a hug, but I am congradulating you on a good piece of writing.

-N

Naiilo: A thanks to you also. I?m a big fan of the ancient Greek classics. There will be a further explanation of Darroot tea in the distant future, so I won?t say anything yet so as not to give anything away too soon. The use of French (although some of it corrupted ? on purpose) is an integral part of the story and will also be explained as the tale unfolds.

Good to hear. I am looking forward to knowing more about this Darroot Tea. It is an interesting substance. Also - on the use of French: It is not our universe, so any changes you make to the language for use in TSoI work. If Icaria was set in modern day anywhere, and the characters used a strange verison of French it probably wouldn't work well. There are some ways you could explain it, but they all seem too fantastic for our contemporary world.

-N

It was an anachronism. There was no evidence to suggest that french had ever existed in this particular world, so where did this french term come from? After a little word of explanation from the author, however, i withdrew my objections.

cheers!

aj

It was an anachronism. There was no evidence to suggest that french had ever existed in this particular world, so where did this french term come from? After a little word of explanation from the author, however, i withdrew my objections.

cheers!

aj

The French have been everywhere, gotten drunk, puked, gotten in a fight and been thrown out.

That explains a hellva lot about their foreign policy and now we're sober so we can preach to you about not fucking up attitude.

• 4 months later...

Hi Jamie! First post for me, here at awesomedude.

I found your story via Jamessavic's blog at gayauthors.org. I didn't kow this site before.

Being a big scify-freak I greatly enjoy your story and want to drop a few lines to thank you for this ongoing pice of work and your effort to add a new chapter every weekend.

Also a thank to AJ, the man in the back. :wink:

I belive he's also editing Dio's stories, which I also really like.

A few word's about the french terms in the story:

Were there any? If so, then I was oblivious to it. :roll:

Being german myself I encountered a few terms (mostly the names of places) that could be corrupted german. But it's also possible, that I misinterpreted it. Languages of countries that border one another tend to adopt terms of the other language and, in that process, become partly mixed. After all language is a living thing.

So I probably use corrupted phrases and expressions from dutch, french, etc., without being aware of it.

An idea I got is, that a map of your world would be great. But I also have the hunch, that it would be quite obvious if such a map is (only) a edited version of a real map.

That's all for now. Again my appreciation for your story.

Daniel

That was a fast reply.

I have to thank you.

Your story is responsible for a few late nights in the last two weeks. :wink:

A name that really surprised me was that of the valley of "Sonne Taggen". The name could once been something like "Sonnentage" or "sonnige Tage", wich means something like "sunny days", in english. That again describes a feature of the valley. So a name is born.

But you are the author of the story. You surly know, where the names come from.

For the time being I'll be anxious to find out where these "foreign" expressoins come from.

About a map. I'm not one of those people, that spot little mistakes in traveling directions, or something like that. For me, a map would be a tool to get a sense of orientation and a rough feeling for distances. Written word rarely gives me a feel for that. In most stories something like that isn't important, but in yours, there's a whole world to discover.

Unfortunately I'm also a bad artist. But one can always be hopeful that someone is willing and has the skills to draw such a map.

Regards,

Daniel

I don't know how I could have missed this post. If I had seen this sometime ago, I wouldn't have had to send Jamie an email question on languages. But then again, if I hadn't, I don't think we would have the same friendship that we have today.

After each new chapter comes out and I've read it, Jamie gets an PM from me. Sometimes it's short. Sometimes it long. I'm on my second time reading thru the story and sometimes I find something I want to comment on that ties in with something in the newest chapter. I started my second time while on vacation this past August. I took the 3 inch note book with me and spend the cool part of the morning outside.

Once I read the first chapter, I was hooked and this was only a few months ago. Here again, thanks goes out to Jamessavik for telling me about it. It is my favorite Sci/Fan story.

I've said this privately to both Jamie and AJ. Thank you Jamie for a great story. And Thank You AJ for your contribution to the story.

Jan

Jan, you made me laugh, probably unintentionally. "

I don't know how I could have missed this post." is easily answered. It was only posted about 10 hours ago. :wink:

Jan, you made me laugh, probably unintentionally. "

I don't know how I could have missed this post." is easily answered. It was only posted about 10 hours ago. :wink:

Actually, I was referring to the orginal posting which was done on May 5, 2005. I wasn't a member until recently.

Jan

I loved this weekend's Icarian feast! Miro's heroics, the intrigue of a traitor in the ranks-- the plot is thickening!

To those of you thanking me for pointing out TSOI as a great story, it is my great pleasure. Whenever I spot a story that I've enjoyed, espically here at the Dude's place, I don't mind leaving a trail of breadcrumbs.

Here's a copy of my blog entry at gayauthors.org:

Jamie, Wizard of Icaria

There are very few serial stories that I have enjoyed as much as the Scrolls of Icaria.

TSOI is a grand epic/sci-fi fantasy set in a future world which pits the genetically engineered Icarians, young men with wings, against a feudal society with several kingdoms and a meddlesome church that seeks to control everything.

Yes- Jamie has grafted no small amount of not so subtle allegory in this story but it stands on its own fun. TSOI is not just another good story, it's one that will have you dashing off every Sunday morning for the next chapter.

TSOI is what you might call a page turner. Thankfully, it is a serial in progress so you can't wolf it down all at one sitting.

Looking for an fun read? Like fantasy settings?

Jamie has a story for you>>>The Scrolls of Icaria

It's always good to hear some kind words. Just as "Criticism from a fool is no criticism at all", so also praise from a fool is no praise at all, and so it felt particularly nice to hear such nice things from you.

And if you think the plot is thickening now, you better hold onto your hat!

cheers!

aj

Based on the information posted in this thread, I've just started reading this story, and I'm falling in love with it, even though I'm only in the second chapter. I'm looking forward to some happy nights of reading. :)

• 2 weeks later...