Ubuntu + Netbook help

Camy

I have a small netbook (MSI U130) that runs on win 7 basic.

I thought I'd try Linux. The flavour I picked was Ubuntu (I also have Kubuntu) that boots of a USB stick, but that remembers its settings. I can choose to install it properly if I like it, and I do. Except that it won't see the netbook's inbuilt WiFi.

I know virtually next to nothing about Linux, but I do like the GUI a lot. I'd like to have it as a dual boot, but if I can't get on-line it's next to pointless.

So if anyone can recommend a site that can help, or has any ideas, I'd be grateful. Everything else works including the bluetooth - which I hardly ever use.

Cheers,

Camy

Well, I'm a big fan of Linux and the Ubuntu distro in particular, and I'm a bit flummoxed. I have an Asus netbook which came with a cut-down version of Ubuntu and the wi-fi just worked, out of the box. I also have a Toshiba laptop which came with Windows XP, and I replaced it with a standard install of Ubuntu, and again the Wifi just worked, out of the box. In fact everything on my laptop just works in Ubuntu. The only thorn in my flesh is scanner drivers and printer drivers, neither of which are very well covered. I'm not blaming the Linux community for that - after all, HP, Epson, Canon et al put a disc in the box with their kit which contains Windows and, usually, Mac drivers, but I haven't ever come across a Linux driver in the box with any peripheral. So the community steps in and provides where the manufacturers let us down. Unfortunately, my three printers are all oddities for one reason or another and I haven't had much joy getting them hooked up to my Linux machines.

It's a pity - I really like Linux and in this day and age not being able to get a printer to work seems beyond belief!

I know there are Ubuntu versions specifically designed for netbooks - maybe using one of those might help? Otherwise my best advice would be to google the problem and keep googling it - there's an enormous amount of good advice on Linux out there, it's just a case of seiving out all the dross first.

Ubuntu Netbook versions homepage

Thank you all for your advice.

It's the netbook version I've got - of both Ubuntu and Kubuntu (the difference is the GUI. Ubuntu uses Gnome, and Kubuntu KDE). I've decided to go with Ubuntu and Gnome, however I still can't get the WiFi to work.

It runs off a USB stick (with remembered persistence) until I decide to install. I've been thinking that, rather than installing as proper OS, I'd us 'Wube' which installs Linux under Windows so it runs like any software. Any comments? ;)

This is a good site! http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index.php

One of the biggest difficulties with getting wi-fi to work is having the same wi-fi standard device at both ends of the connection.

Common wi-fi standards are:

802.11a

802.11b

802.11g

802.11n

They don't all play nicely together and some require a lot more fuss to get them working than others.

When I have a wi-fi issue, figuring out what standards the wi-fi network card and access point are running are the first order of business.

I have a small netbook (MSI U130) that runs on win 7 basic.

So if anyone can recommend a site that can help, or has any ideas, I'd be grateful. Everything else works including the bluetooth - which I hardly ever use.

Camy -- Take a look here: https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/95245

I did not read it all but it does look as if this might work.

scroll down to:

Mark Rijckenberg said on 2009-12-26:

Step 1: Open Terminal from "Applications->Accessories->Terminal"

Step 2: Enter the following command to start editing the sources.list file in the gedit editor:

gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list

Step 3: In the gedit editor, scroll down and add the following 2 lines to the end of the /etc/apt/sources.list file:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/markus-tisoft/rt3090/ubuntu karmic main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/markus-tisoft/rt3090/ubuntu karmic main

Step 4: Save the change to the sources.list file

Step 5: Enter the following commands to install the driver:

sudo aptitude update

sudo aptitude install rt3090-dkms

Step 6: Reboot and retest wireless

I found this with a Google search for your 'MSI U130 ubuntu wireless'"

Thank you all, but extra special thanks to Eddy (Mountain Dude)!

I'm now the proud owner of a WiFi enabled Ubuntu netbook!

Camy the happy.

PS It doesn't end here. I'll be bleating and yammering on about Ubuntu for a good while yet. :icon_geek:

Thank you all, but extra special thanks to Eddy (Mountain Dude)!

I'm now the proud owner of a WiFi enabled Ubuntu netbook!

Camy the happy.

PS It doesn't end here. I'll be bleating and yammering on about Ubuntu for a good while yet. :icon_geek:

Thank you Camy. I am beyond delighted that we got this working and that I could help you in doing so. I have had my own problems with networking too, but the Ubuntu (Linux) community has always been there, ready to help. You don't get that with Microsoft.

I have been using the Ubuntu software for two years now and do love it's OS interface. I hope you have an enjoyable experience with Ubuntu also.

You may always rely on me if the occasion requires assistance. Just ask, I'm here.