Muslims against Homophobia

Last Saturday was the annual Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras parade. I've never been (living in Melbourne), but I do read the online Sydney Morning Herald and I check each year for what news (and photos) they have.

In today's Letters to the Editor was the following:

''Muslims against homophobia'' was a float at the Mardi Gras parade on Saturday. A humble effort, but a good beginning with 15 people, spontaneously joined by a member of the neighbouring Jewish Dayenu group all dancing to Turkish pop.

I was disappointed by the lack of interest shown in the float by the Australian press. Please tell me you don't need to be a delirious, hostile mufti to get coverage.

Here is news for you, right at your doorstep and only in Australia, only at the Mardi Gras.

Burcak Gurun Muraben Alexandria

I certainly haven't seen any references to this float in the media. I caught part of a news report on TV on the parade and it went for the usual cheap thrills.

The letter reinforces how much of our opinions are driven by the media. Yes, there is a lot of homophobia (a huge understatement!) in the Muslim world, but how much anti-homophobia content simply doesn't get reported? It's little things like this that make a difference. After all, the first Sydney Mardi Gras was done as a protest, as were the Stonewall riots.

Every change has to start somewhere :icon_geek: