NWS -- Castaways

I finally found some time to do some reading (okay -- I was depressed at work and needed something else to do), so I had a look at Castaways.

A completely narrative story, told mainly from the viewpoint of one character. There are sections from the viewpoint of the other two main characters as introductions, before switching back to the original.

The plot is not particularly original, but as I remarked in an email to the author, that doesn't detract from the story. Indeed, it makes it feel like a well-worn and comfortable slipper. The presentation is what makes the story.

Rick has managed to portray the dangers and horrors of sailing back in the eighteenth century. I could easily picture the scenes he was portraying.

I thought originally that the lack of dialogue was a deficiency, but I then realised that it has been written as a journal by the main character well after the event. As such, it is well done.

It is definitely worth a look at.

Graeme

Graeme:  It is definitely worth a look at.

I totally agree, Graeme. Just finished reading it last night and it was delightful!

I hope we hear more from Rick in the future! :D

Graeme:  It is definitely worth a look at.

I totally agree, Graeme. Just finished reading it last night and it was delightful!

I hope we hear more from Rick in the future! :D

I don't agree, I think that post's underrating Rick! The guy is a really good writer and that plot's not hackneyed, its a classic...but a HETERO classic and I loved reading this version. The way it was written was exactly right for the genre, for the classics it harks intentionally back to. It was wonderfully researched and presented and his way with words is extraordinary. He's a 20 year old Brit, if I remember correctly, and I hope we can get him to write more for us here at AD.

Welcome to AD, Rick! Btw, I can't find your email, can you contact me again at story-editor@awesomedude.com?

Kisses...

TR

I don't agree, I think that post's underrating Rick! The guy is a really good writer and that plot's not hackneyed, its a classic...but a HETERO classic and I loved reading this version. The way it was written was exactly right for the genre, for the classics it harks intentionally back to. It was wonderfully researched and presented and his way with words is extraordinary. He's a 20 year old Brit, if I remember correctly, and I hope we can get him to write more for us here at AD.

I'd certainly like to see more from him, and I said so in the email I sent him.

The statement of mine that Dude quoted may be underrating Rick, but the genre is one that may not appeal to as broad a spectrum as many other stories. This is not a reflection on Rick, but a statement on people's tastes. As an example, I don't normally read historical stories. I find that too often they assume you know more about the period than I actually do (me, poor dumb Aussie) or they assume you know nothing and overload you with detail that swamps the story itself. Rick has managed to avoid both of those problems.

That was why I kept it low-key -- recommending that people look at it, without saying that they must read it. It was not intended to disparage Rick at all.

Finally, your honour, as a closing statement in my defense... I was still the first one to put up a post about this story which had been on the site for over a week. :-D

Cheers!

Graeme :p

Graeme:  Finally, your honour, as a closing statement in my defense... I was still the first one to put up a post about this story which had been on the site for over a week.  

Touche' :smt041

Graeme:  Finally, your honour, as a closing statement in my defense... I was still the first one to put up a post about this story which had been on the site for over a week.  

Touche' :smt041

A hit, a palpable hit!

TR, chagrined

T

I do have other things in my head btw, which will hopefully germinate into something readable.

Again, my thanks...Rick Grahame :-)

Hmm, 'germinate'? If you came here looking for fertilizer, you came to the right place, Rick, look no further!

SO glad you joined us and so glad you're available. I've been trying to contact you. Can you resend that other story to me, and anything else you might have lying about? I might want to run the little one, despite what we talked about, after an edit job, if that's okay with you.

Kisses...

TR

story-editor@awesomedude.com

I do have other things in my head btw, which will hopefully germinate into something readable.

We look forward to it Rick!

I love reading the work of British authors. You guys do something magic to the langauge.

:smt023

• 1 month later...

Now I remember what it is that I really like about this story!

I am a big fan of Conrad (Heart of Darkness, Secret Sharer) and enjoy a good sea yarn.

Castaways reminds me a great deal of Conrad both in style and setting without Conrad's dark and murky look at humanity.

Castaways is a very enjoyable yarn.