Gee Whillickers

Rick Perry's openly bigoted, hateful, and disgusting ad

How can anybody possibly get away with this?! Seriously. How can this happen anywhere? Let alone that beautiful country to the south of me. And to think, this man is a governor. Sheesh, my stories are supposed to be fiction dammit!

There's good news there though, folks. Look at the number of likes vs. dislikes for this video. Also, I clicked the little "report abusive content" button and flagged it as hate speech. I encourage others to do the same. Maybe that will get some attention.

His last sentence speaks volumes, does it not? "I'm Rick Perry, and I approve this message." Well, Ricky. If you can possibly be a pitiful enough human being that you can "approve" of any such thing, then I certainly know exactly and precisely how I feel about you.

I'm all for free speech. I'm also all for letting people who can spew disgusting vile tripe know exactly what the world at large thinks of such intolerant small-mindedness.

Please, please reassure me, all of you AD americans, that this man has no chance at all of becoming the guy with his finger near the "blow up the world" button.

The following is my personal opinion only, on a political candidate and his stance.

Notice the number of likes and dislikes. ;)

Mr. Perry is entitled to his personal opinion. He has supporters who are in favor of his views and see nothing wrong with them, or with things like ending separation of church and state. Mr. Perry has many times made remarks that were, at least, not well thought through before speaking. He's made other inflammatory claims, not just regarding gay rights. A few years back, he spoke out in favor of secession. Not the sort of man you might want leading the country, if he seriously advocated secession from that country. (I can't recall if this was before or after he was elected governor of Texas. I think it was after, but I may be wrong there.) There was recently a flap over a racial slur on a rock at the entrance at a hunting retreat owned by his family. He claimed that was painted over recently, and had been placed there by his father, years ago. But it was noticed and got attention. It has been widely reported and criticized how he's rened a property during renovations to the governor's mansion, and made improvements to it, reportedly at taxpayers' expense. His claims of good management of Texas' economy may have some merit, but are open to many questions as to how he can really claim this. Above all, Mr. Perry has an unerring tendency to get angry or to speak without really thinking, to let others rile him up. That's observable. I think having a man like that in office would hurt our relations with friends and potential foes alike. I will certainly not vote for him for President. I will be glad to see someone else voted in as Texas governor.

On the other hand, my city's mayor gained election despite that she is openly lesbian and partnered. One of our prior governors was not so homophobic.

Texas is not perfect. I can say that because I was born and raised here and I live here now. I am quite aware of the inequalities and prejudices towards people like me (LGBT people). I cannot legally "marry" or enter into a "civil union" with a person of the same sex in my state. I can, however, have that recognized in private ceremony, and protected somewhat in legal contracts.

However, there are people here for whom being gay is not a problem; straight allies and LGBT people. I am unlearning some old junk and becoming more the real me publicly.

I really hope that most people will hear what he says, on many subjects, and decide to vote for someone else, not him.

Mr. Perry has many supporters, but he has many who disagree sharply with his views, here in Texas and throughout the country. I will be glad when he leaves public office and returns home to private life.

Personal Opinion:

I get the parody and sarcasm. Folks, please remember, some of us are straight, some of us are gay, (and so on) and all of us are needed. Not only that, some of us are Christian, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, and many other faiths, and some are Pagans, and some are Atheists. We're not all one "homo-geneous" group. It's one of the very things the people who "don't get it" use against gay-friendly folks. So we need to be on our guard that we don't fall into the same trap of argument. While many of us would understand what that response video is trying to say, also many of us (gay, bi, straight) and (Christian or otherwise) would be troubled or even offended by the embedded assumption that anyone of a religious faith, or in particular, Christians (or Jews or Muslims), is therefore anti-gay. We know that's not true, but often, it gets folded into the arguments back and forth as a given assumption, either LGBT or Christian (or other faiths) but not both. That simply isn't so, no matter which side (gay-friendly or gay-phobic) of the argument one sits on.

I do, however, understand what he's *trying* to get across.

And yes, it's curious that Mr. Perry chose to call the video "Strong," implying his opponents (or gays or non-Christians) are somehow "Weak." It shows, for instance, what he and his supporters fear. I can be "weak" in some ways, yet strong in ways others may not suspect. And that's something Mr. Perry *ought* to know, if he'd really paid attention in Sunday School. (Just saying, personal opinion again.)

The video Chris posted was using parody playing to the words that Rick Perry used and the attitude they reflect in his political ad.Rick Perry said he was going to recast the United States government based on the Christian religion and to eliminate DADT. The video used a similar approach that's 180 degrees in the other direction. IMO that's perfectly valid, and funny as well.

Colin :icon_geek:

A taste of sweet justice. The original video has just become the 2nd most "disliked" video ever, in youtube history, behind Justin Beiber's "Baby."

Even more staggeringly significant, it wins hands down in terms of dislikes per view. It's not even close. At 750,000 views and 300,000 dislikes, this video reaches an incredible 40% of viewers disliking. It's extremely rare for even 10% of viewers of most videos to even bother logging in and voting, either like or dislike, so this is hugely significant. And probably a serious error on the part of Rick Perry's campaign.

There's still hope for the world, and this goes a long way to making me feel optimistic about the future.

It seems like Perry might just as well have invited Monty Python to comment on his campaign. Here's another:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Cg1reOJV27w?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

On a more serious note, but I hasten to add, not to start a discussion, it might be well to point out for consideration, some other opinions about America being founded on faith.

“The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason.” — Ben Franklin, Poor Richard’s Almanack, 1758.

“The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma.” — Abraham Lincoln.

“What have been the fruits of Christianity ? Superstition, bigotry and persecution.” — James Madison, 4th president of the U.S.

“This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it.” — John Adams, 2nd president of the U.S

Treaty of Tripoli (Article 11): “As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion” — George Washington, First President of the US Treaty signed by John Adams 1797

Maybe Perry just doesn't know the facts.

Links for those who wish to pursue the references:

http://www.infidels....quotations.html

http://www.stephenja...er_tripoli.html

http://en.wikipedia....eaty_of_Tripoli

Guest Dabeagle

To follow on Des's comments and quotes - people are under the mistaken impression that we were founded as a 'christian' nation. Many of the founding fathers were skeptics at best and religious freedom has somehow morphed into forcing everyone to believe as you do, rather than letting everyone follow their own path. People will sometimes point to our money, with 'In God We Trust' and that our pledge includes 'One Nation under God' that we are a 'christian nation'. In fact these items were added during lovely Joe McCarthy's era because it was thought that communists couldn't say such words.

Rick Perry's ad may not reflect even the majority of religious voters, but far too many do display latent discrimination based on those beliefs. I do hope that the ad makes most pious folks embarrassed rather than fired up. The Second City send up was perfect.