Der Cowboy-a TR short story

Soldiers and Saturday afternoon cowboys combine when two homesick young men encounter each other in an unlikely time and place: a Belgian snowstorm in 1944. What makes a friend and what makes an enemy, and how to tell the difference when you're cold and tired and sick at heart?

I strive mightily for accuracy but if you find mistakes in either historical fact or proof-reading, please let me know!

Kisses...

TR

http://www.awesomedude.com/stories/short_s...er%20Cowboy.htm

Nice work, TR--bordering on brilliant. It has me teary-eyed as I write this...It's a quantum leap from your earlier stuff, which was damn good to start with. It displays a depth of insight and emotion that is lovely to read and experience. Thanks for a fantastic read.

cheers!

aj

Nice work, TR--bordering on brilliant. It has me teary-eyed as I write this...It's a quantum leap from your earlier stuff, which was damn good to start with. It displays a depth of insight and emotion that is lovely to read and experience. Thanks for a fantastic read.

cheers!

aj

Thank you AJ, that's a wonderful compliment and comment, I just wish it weren't the only one I got. But I do thank you, very, very much. Though Dude also said he liked it in N&V, or maybe that was just his cat that liked it.

I'm curious, though, about the quantum leap. How's that, if you can be specific? Is it better than Lucky Strike or Some Enchanted Evening, or just better than Drama Club's worse and/or early chapters?

It doesn't feel good to keep writing things without getting responses. Also feels as responses arrive in reverse proportion to the amount of work that the story required, which is most disheartening. Little nothings get more comment than something that took more of what I call work. And I don't even have an Editor to tell me I'm a clever boy. :lol:

Kisses...to AJ. (I want to have his babies)

TR, having cheese with his whine

TR,

I just wanted to say that I'm currently very slow to get around to reading stories (look at The Castaways -- it took me more than a week to get to it). I have it on the list....

Graeme

I was thinking specifically of Drama Club when I wrote that comment...remembering the days when you were a brand new and very unsure writer (has it only been a little under a year? Amazing!).

But the level of understanding of humanity that you show in this tale is amazing...and the fact that I felt it so strongly tells me that this is work on another level from DC.

cheers (and kisses right back)!

aj

Okay, I have finally found some time to read it.

I've sent you an email with my more complete comments, but I wanted to say publicly that I thought this story was fantastic!

Not only is it well written, but you avoided the obvious cliches with the ending. Despite what occured, I somehow felt it was an up-beat conclusion to the story.

Well done!

Graeme

Having walked through the Ardennes and seeing some of the remnants of the great epic battle fought there coupled with the knowledge of the many lives that were lost, I turned to this work with hope and anticipation.

I must say I was not disappointed (and not because it took place in the country I love the most). This is the kind of story that could easily have slipped into cliche, but it didn't. The mood it left me with, even though the ending was sad seemed the logical and right outcome. The folly of war, the death of innocence, the totally of unfairness and the brief yet comforting emotions regarding the love of two boys from two parts of the world, so different yet so much alike, were the perfect mix for this story.

I must agree with AJ, your writing has grown and deepened from the first chapters of DC (although I still love it so much) through to this latest work. I've watched you change styles, play with different (sometimes very different) themes and with each step your craft has advanced.

How do you feel about this? Do you feel you have changed in the time since you started writing? Has writing many different and diverse stories changed your perspective? Has it made you a better writer? Do you now prefer writing more short stories (truely an art in itself) or will you go back to the longer format from time to time?

You can congradulate youself for a great story...

regards

Jamie

I just finished reading Der Cowboy and for once I am at a loss for words. :smt010

It is historically very accurate. The units on both sides were present right at the time of the Battle of the Bulge.

The winter of 1944 was one of the bitterest in decades. Both sides suffered greatly from the cold. What made matters worse is that units working in the front were scattered, disorganized and had spotty supplies.

Congradulations for yet another great story Joey! :smt023