A Valentine's Day story by Cole Parker

Camy

'A Valentine's Day story' by Cole Parker is ... well the fact there is a Cole Parker you haven't read should be enough for you to click the link now. If it isn't you're mad. It's a Cole Parker for goodness sake! :smile:

'A Valentine's Day story' by Cole Parker is a super sweet story about an outgoing sort who falls for a quiet introverted type. He ties his shoelaces a lot, too - that's the outgoing one, not the introvert. See, it's complicated. And there's dancing as well. And it's Valentine's day. Umm ... have I mentioned it's a Cole Parker? :icon_thumleft:

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've really loved this story since it was first posted seven years ago. It's one of Cole's best short stories. It's particularly apropos today with xenophobia on the rise around the world, and Trump trying to build a wall to keep all those 'depraved' refugees from entering the U.S. and raping our women. I wonder if the Canadians will build a wall to keep the Americans out, should the worst predictions of climate change come true. Demonizing whole populations has always been a favorite tool of the demagogue. Why should America give shelter to a poor Muslim boy from Kyrgestan, and his whole family? Why should we offer refuge because he says he's being prosecuted because of who he is? He and his family should have stayed and fought for their rights. They're probably just economic refugees anyway.

I doubt Cole could have foreseen the Trump presidency or the rise of the political right worldwide, but he did such a superb job of putting a human face on a refugee family - one with a persecuted gay kid.

• 1 year later...
On 2/14/2012 at 10:29 PM, Camy said:

'A Valentine's Day story' by Cole Parker is ... well the fact there is a Cole Parker you haven't read should be enough for you to click the link now. If it isn't you're mad. It's a Cole Parker for goodness sake! :smile:

'A Valentine's Day story' by Cole Parker is a super sweet story about an outgoing sort who falls for a quiet introverted type. He ties his shoelaces a lot, too - that's the outgoing one, not the introvert. See, it's complicated. And there's dancing as well. And it's Valentine's day. Umm ... have I mentioned it's a Cole Parker? :icon_thumleft:

Not a lot more to add except an exhortation to read it. Go on, you know you want to. 👍

• 2 years later...

This lovely story is one of Dude's Picks from the Past, appropriately since it's February. And what a delightful short story it is. Much to my surprise I don't seem to have commented on it before, although I have certainly read it, with much pleasure, before now. How very remiss of me. Very much in Cole's inimitable style, a First person POV story of youthful naivety (naivete?) and self-discovery. Heart-warming and cosy, just the thing to relieve the misery of the cold, damp, dark February that is the UK at this time of year. Thanks so much Cole!