Decades and Fifty Minutes to Intimacy by Bi Janus

Camy

Part of the 'Coming Out Challenge'

In hindsight 'Decades and Fifty Minutes to Intimacy' by Bi Janus is completely captivating. My hindsight begins a page or two in, after I realise the opening line: The Zetron tones sounded in the bay of Station 8 isn't science fiction!

Again, I found myself not only reading a story, but learning about a group of people I knew absolutely nothing about. 'Decades and Fifty Minutes to Intimacy' grabbed me and took me on a very worthwhile journey.

Oh how well I agree with you, Camy. I found myself swept up in the story so fast I lost track of the time.

The mark of a good story is when you learn something while being entertained. Bi Janus really hit the ground running with his action packed opening and then the story just rolled out in a wonderful fashion. The descriptive scenes did more to educate me about firefighters and paramedics than anything else I have read.

But the point of these stories in the contest was "coming out" and this story gave us that in a very real, and sometimes sad way. The characters were empathetic, the dialogue right to the point. Kudos, Bi Janus. I liked this story very much...and now on to read the rest of them.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dabeagle

I don't know that I can add anything new here, but I'll give it a go. The odd updates of every few minutes in the beginning had me slightly confused and I struggled a bit with the jargon. I have to admit, with the first paragraph, I thought perhaps it was going to be a sci-fi story. By the time I reached the end it was apparent that it was more a summation of a man's journey to a point where he'd finally figured out what's important, and that's always an important journey. And yes, Luggie took whatever was in his eye and flung it in mine, the miscreant.