Aussie scientists unveil single-atom transistor

Here we go with more science;

A team of Australian physicists has created the world's first functioning single-atom transistor, which could prove a critical building block toward the development of super-fast computers.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-02-20/team-designs-world27s-smallest-transistor/3839524

Not only super fast, but one of the big advantages to tiny components like these is they use less power and generate less waste heat. Better for the environment, both in materials to manufacture and in use during lifetime as well as disposal at end-of-life. Also, because they use less power, it's easier to use them for portable devices with reasonable battery life.

On another note: Australia has physicists?! I thought they were all just hot young surfer studs or Crocodile Dundee types. Or are they also physicists in their spare time?

Not only super fast, but one of the big advantages to tiny components like these is they use less power and generate less waste heat. Better for the environment, both in materials to manufacture and in use during lifetime as well as disposal at end-of-life. Also, because they use less power, it's easier to use them for portable devices with reasonable battery life.

On another note: Australia has physicists?! I thought they were all just hot young surfer studs or Crocodile Dundee types. Or are they also physicists in their spare time?

We just improvise a lot over here. The Aussie physicists do their research at the local gay beach. They got the idea of how to achieve a single atom alignment on the silicon when they saw how the other hot surfer studs avoided the old crocodiles by positioning themselves with each other on the sand. The researchers were not only impressed with the speed that the hot surfer studs were able to reach, but also with their ability to handle quite large propulsive coefficients of expansion.

Vegemite is an acquired taste, :pinch: that is true :tongue: . That it is a healthy food is also true :bdparty[1]: . That we Aussies regard it as a national treasure is beyond argument. :wav:

Leave our Vegemite alone, or else! :stare:

When I hear about super-small computing and storage, my first thought is, what happens if a molecule / atom / electron shifts out of place when it's not supposed to. My second thought is, it's all OK until you drop it or it gets dunked in liquid. My third thought is somewhere along the lines of, if it's that small, what's to keep it from being commandeered by something living, whether it's a big multicellular bug or a microscopic single-celled lifeform or a virus. And then there's the Borg.

Yeah, I really sound dismal, right? But it's not that gloomy, really!

The current scale of that handy little USB flash drive or that big external portable hard drive is huge compared to the molecular carbon tube molecular level gadgets they've talked about, and stupendously gigantic compared to the atomic level.

I want to be able to carry around and backup all my "stuff," including all my ebooks and audio-video, on something conveniently small, with another for temporary daily storage.

OK, now that I've geeked out on that, where could I get ahold of one of those nice Aussie dudes?

Maybe I should try Vegemite. Maybe....

Cole, you may just have found the cause for Aussie men always scratching themselves in public; too much Vegemite falling off the toast, into their groins in the mornings.

Thank you so much...I'll alert the Jock Itch Patrol, immediately.

You guys are slightly askew, you know that, don't you? But it's in a good way. :: laughs at all the kidding ::

I think I've seen Vegemite twice in recent years. I might get very brave and buy a jar if I can find it again.

Does it lead to atomic transistors...to brew beer...?