Maryland Becomes the 8th State to Allow Gay Marriage

About F'in' time:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/01/us/maryland-same-sex-marriage/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Maryland became the eighth U.S. state to allow same-sex marriage Thursday as Gov. Martin O'Malley signed legislation he said secures the "human dignity" of all residents, including gay and lesbian couples.

I love this only because it drives the religious right absolutely bug-f@ck crazy.

Now for it to remain in the law instead of getting repealed, and to keep the ball rolling.

Roll over here, please, just don't roll over us forgotten.

Still hoping to see equality in my lifetime. Dearly hope so.

• 2 months later...

Maryland Court Rules to Allow Same-Sex Divorce

While the ability to have a same-sex marriage in Maryland will wait until January 1, and is subject to a possible referendum during November's election, on Friday Maryland's Court of Appeals recognized the right to same-sex divorce by a 7-0 decision.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-05-18/news/bs-md-ar-same-sex-divorce-ruling-20120518_1_gay-marriage-law-lesbian-couples-mathew-staver

This is actually huge--it says that Maryland will recognize out-of-state (and presumably out-of-country) same sex marriages, and will allow same-sex couples to have all the same legal rights in the state as opposite-sex couples. The only thing yet to be added (and possibly rejected by referendum) is the ability to get a marriage license and solemnize the marriage within the state. Given the easy access to Washington, DC where gay marriage is legal from most of Maryland (heck--many of us commute there for work), the referendum against gay marriage loses much of its practical punch as a way of preventing same-sex married couples in Maryland--not that it's not necessary to defeat it for philosophical, symbolic, and other purposes.

--Rigel

Given the easy access to Washington, DC where gay marriage is legal from most of Maryland (heck--many of us commute there for work), the referendum against gay marriage loses much of its practical punch as a way of preventing same-sex married couples in Maryland--

Too bad Texas is so big, we could at least hope for a degree of irritation.

Progress in any direction I favor comes as a surprise to me these days. I try to be encouraged if at all possible, who knows when the opportunity will come again.

Tracy