Actor Kirk Cameron Says Homosexuality Is 'Unnatural,' 'Ultimately Destructive'

I hate this right-wing, religious nutbag asshole.

Kirk Cameron Tells CNN's Piers Morgan

Homosexuality Is 'Unnatural,' 'Ultimately Destructive'

03/3/2012 1:11 pm

'80s sitcom star turned religious activist Kirk Cameron is not a fan of homosexuality and he isn't shy about sharing his feelings on the subject.

During a new interview with Piers Morgan the "Growing Pains" heartthrob who transitioned from a "teen-idol-atheist in Hollywood and became a devoted follower of Jesus Christ in the middle of [his] career" explained that he believes homosexuality is "unnatural... I think that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."

On the issue of marriage equality Cameron remarked, "Marriage was defined by God a long time ago. Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve -- one man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don't think anyone else should either. So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't."

When asked what he would do if one of his six kids told him, "Dad, bad news, I'm gay," Cameron responded, "I'd sit down and I'd have a heart to heart with them, just like you'd do with your kids."

Morgan shot back, "I'd say, 'That's great, son! As long as you're happy.' What would you say?"

Cameron offered, "I wouldn't say 'That's great, son, as long as you're happy.' There are all sorts of issues we need to wrestle through in our life... Just because you feel one way doesn't mean we should act on everything we feel."

http://www.huffingto..._n_1318430.html

Because he's a celebrity and the media flock to give them a mike.

The qualifications for celebrity don't actually include knowing anything. You just have to be pretty for the camera and been on a TV show, movie, band or sports team. In fact, if you listen closely to them, you'll find that a great many of them are dumber than dirt.

Now GLAAD has weighed in...

GLAAD Rips Kirk Cameron for Remarks on Homosexuality, Gay Marriage

Published: March 04, 2012 @ 9:32 am

By Todd Cunningham

Former "Growing Pains" star Kirk Cameron's negative comments on homosexuality and gay marriage, made Friday on CNN's "Pier Morgan Tonight," have drawn a rapid response from GLAAD.

Cameron said he thought homosexuality was "unnnatural."

"I think that it's detrimental and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization," the actor told Morgan.

Cameron, who is an evangelical Christian, also spoke out against gay marriage.

"Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage. And I don't think anyone else should either," Cameron said. "So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't."

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation issued a statement Saturday in response to the actor's recent appearance on the CNN program.

“In this interview, Kirk Cameron sounds even more dated than his 1980s TV character,” Herndon Graddick, senior director of programs at GLAAD, wrote “Cameron is out of step with a growing majority of Americans, particularly people of faith who believe that their gay and lesbian brothers and sisters should be loved and accepted based on their character and not condemned because of their sexual orientation.”

Graddick also addressed Cameron's remarks regarding gay marriage.

“With an increasing number of states recognizing marriage equality, Americans are seeing that marriage is about committed couples who want to make a lifelong promise to take care of and be responsible for each other and that gay and lesbian couples need equal security and legal protections. That’s not ‘redefining’ anything."

In brief remarks to TMZ Saturday night, Morgan called Cameron "brave" to voice his beliefs. Morgan said feels Cameron "was honest to what he believed" even if he most people find his views to be "antiquated."

http://www.thewrap.c...-marriage-35940

I don't believe the GLBT people are above criticism. I just insist that the critic bring some substance.

When jack-wagons like Kirk Cameron come with old, ignorant arguments like "unnatural" or say anything that has to do with bestiality, I'm going to rip on them.

I think bad, has-been 1980s sitcom actors are unnatural, especially when they spout bigoted, hateful opinions. But that's just me.

And anybody who tells me that their religion is more valid than mine... well, may god smite thee! (Not "the" God, just "a" god.)

I used to say, "Consider the source," when I heard ignorant statements by the "unwashed" and then expected the people that I was tallking to, to get it and think. How unfortunite for me. The religious right has grabbed the stage to such an extent that it is now dividing our country in major proportions. People seem to have lost their capacity to "think," and now rely on others (think Rush Limbaugh) to think for them.

• 2 weeks later...

BTW, Howard Stern recently did an on-air rant against Kirk Cameron for at least half an hour on his Sirius Satellite Radio show, yelling about what an ignorant, bigoted, religious nutcase the guy is. He also played the direct soundbites from Cameron's CNN radio interview, and it's chilling how calmly Cameron insists that marriage is a purely religious ceremony, completely avoiding the legal problems.

I would've been interested in a debate with him along the lines of: "what about other major religious institutions who condone gay marriage, like the Lutherans, Presbyterians and Unitarians? Are they wrong? Is their interpretation of the Bible wrong? Will the members of this faith go to hell? Could it be that some Bibles are different? Why do you believe your interpretation of the Bible is right, beyond faith? Which specific translation do you base your beliefs on? Are you aware that many words and phrases don't translate precisely to English and are open to interpretation?"

I'd follow that up with the popular question, "so, do you think all Jews will go to hell? How about Muslims? Buddhists? Secular humanists?" And: "Is it possible for someone to lead a good and moral life and still go to hell? Is being gay as great a sin as, say, murder or stealing a million dollars? What if a person is bisexual? What if someone is gay, but still fathers and raises a child who is 100% heterosexual? What are the lines that separate morality from religion?" It'd be interesting to hear his views on all the facets of these issues, most of which have a lot of shades of gray. The world is not as black or white as he thinks it is.

Note that Cameron has insisted that the Banana is perfect evidence of the existence of God. (I am not making this up.) Remember, this is the same kid who didn't want to kiss his girlfriend on his bad 1980s sitcom, because he felt that was immoral.

To me, the only thing that is going to hell (and has gone to hell) is the guy's career and intelligence. Meanwhile, here's an interesting list of the world's major Christian churches and their positions on Homosexuality:

http://en.wikipedia....n_homosexuality

And then there's the list of World Religions and their views on Homosexuality, equally fascinating:

http://en.wikipedia....ty_and_religion

I swear, I had an acquaintance in Junior High (circa 1968) whose name was "Glenn Boner." My memory is that he got into fights pretty much every single day, and eventually wound up in prison. (Not a joke.)

Every time I hear of a nutcase using the banana as evidence of creation, I can't help laugh uproariously at the irony. Because the banana, as found in our supermarkets, is the perfect evidence of careful genetic selection. Wild bananas look absolutely nothing like what we're used to and are almost inedible. Years and years of careful selection and breeding has led us to the banana we have today. Pretty much the opposite of what Cameron and his ilk are professing.

Here's what a wild banana looks like, before we came along and changed it:

bl8NO.jpg

BTW, while on the subject, a couple of interesting points about the banana we eat now: They are all clones. Every one of them. Every single banana from every banana plant is essentially the exact same plant. Which, unfortunately, lends them to be seriously at risk of disease or insect infestation. Since they all share the exact same genetics, a disease that kills one can kill them all, then we have no more bananas, at least of this variety.

Another interesting note: This already happened. The bananas widely available and sold in the 1950's were a different variety. Most people say they were a better, more flavorful variety. But they too were all identical genetically, and a worldwide blight wiped them out. So the plantations had to settle for the next best thing, and that's what we eat today.

I try to be a very tolerant guy, even for people who choose to be religious. I agree 100% with Rick that the real problem are extremists of any kind, whether they're Christian, Muslims, Jews, Scientologists, or anything else. Believe anything you want... just leave me out of it, and don't enforce your beliefs on me.

• 1 month later...

I'm not going to apologize for Kirk Cameron, because I think he's wrong. Heheh. But I do think we should remember a key point or two which may explain some of his beliefs, beyond that he converted to a very fundamentalist, evangelical, and "left behind" brand of Christianity.

Back in the 1980's a very young teenage Kirk Cameron was cast in a role as a wholesome and handsome boy next door, the kind of boy any boy would want as a friend and any girl (and some boys) would want for a boyfriend. And yes, his best friend in the show was named Boner, presumably for an ability to get in trouble and be a klutz, a bonehead, rather than, well, you know.

And Kirk Cameron was good looking indeed, very handsome, cute, etc. and personable on TV. And of course, he was marketed as such, as a celebrity besides his role on the show. Photos of him in very fashionable 80's clothes (or open shits, etc.) were common. He was popular and the girls (and some of the boys) went wild. (I remember that "Miami Vice" look with the jacket and all, more on that in a separate thread. Maybe.)

Well... at that time, he got a lot of unwanted attention from the girls wanting his teenage heartthrob bod. And he got an amount of unwanted attention from some boys too. And apparently, from some mention I can't recall, from adults, male and female, who were not shy about what they'd like to do with young Mr. Cameron.

Now imagine if you are just some teenage boy acting in a TV sitcom and previously mostly unknown, and going along with the media marketing stardom machine. And it's kinda cool, probably. Your male ego probably likes the attention some, right? But then you are getting weird mail and comments and questions and photos and such. And...what the heck...from other males...wanting to do things you, as that teenage boy, probably wouldn't dream of saying out loud, in public, to someone you'd never actually met...and it's very, very explicit...and in his case, he's (as far as we know) straight, not inclined (at least not comfortably) towards other boys / males, and not towards some older guy...or girl, for that matter, but from an older guy, or even a guy your age when you've never had that before...wouldn't that kinda creep you way the heck out?

If you had plunked me down in the celebrity fishbowl when I was the ages he was during Growing Pains (or the age I actually was during the show) then if you'd had me get mail like that, and up close and personal comments -- it wold have creeped me out, big-time. -- And unlike young Mr. Cameron at the time, I was at that age aware that I liked other boys, but unsure what to make of it all...and struggling with wanting someone to talk to...or do other things besides talk, perhaps...and conflicted about that too, heh.

So I can see how some fairly typical but highly photogenic teenage boy like him might have developed a strong dislike or fear of gay people. -- Why he'd be so against that and not likewise so against the advances of the young ladies and not so young ladies probably has to do with the fact that he is biologically and emotionally attracted to the opposite sex, either exclusively or at least a lot more so than he is to, uh, boners.

And no, none of it excuses his being hateful back towards gay people.

I'm trying to remember the exact years Growing Pains was on, but it would've been during my high school and college years. The reruns were still on well after my college years.

And yeah, I remember seeing him and thinking how good looking he was back then. Hubba-hubba. -- And see, that very comment would've likely freaked him out, as close in age as I think we are. (Can't recall exactly, looking it up.) -- And back when I was in high school (or college) I would not have dared say that hubba-hubba out loud, either. :: Looks around furtively. :: Not that there weren't rumors and questions about young Blue, even so.

[ sarcasm ]

So possibly all those unexpected and inexplicable comments and mail and gossip probably offended him when he was a teenager, and have colored his later views. -- By that argument, should we then be glad he is not also dead set against the attentions of and the actions of the ladies? -- Why, you can't have all those girls fornicating! Not with anyone! No guys and girls fornicating! No guys and guys fornicating! Nobody can have sex at all! How horrid! They'd better not grab their boner or their buddy's boner either! Oh no! :: Poor guy, can't you just see him twitching and running off into the wilderness? -- Hey, guy, I'll bet those fig leaves itch around your personal bits somethin' fierce, you know?

[/ sarcasm ]

Kirk Thomas Cameron (born October 12' date=' 1970) is an American actor best known for his role as Mike Seaver on the television situation comedy Growing Pains (1985–1992)

So he is four years younger than me, and Growing Pains aired from my freshman/sophomore year of college until I restarted in community college on my associate's degree. ....Cradle-robber....

Even that four years difference would've meant that anytime I noticed he was good looking, cute, handsome, etc., would've creeped him out. Don't worry, he wasn't really on my radar. I did see photos or episodes and think he was cute, but nothing much beyond that.

*I* would've been too creeped out at that point in life to admit I liked how another boy looked.... And at that time, calling another boy "cute" who wasn't some cute little kid, would also not have been something I would've done. Not saying I was well adjusted at the time. That was my "religious, upright, maybe I can wish/pray it away" stage in life. Note: I can tell you that does NOT work. That was, in fact, the time in life I discovered (surprise) I really was gay, no matter what I thought about it, it wasn't going away, it was pretty insistent, in fact, and if I tried to ignore it and not do anything while awake, it'd take care of itself in my dreams. I also discovered dating girls was not going to ignite that spark and they knew it better than I did.

Fortunately, I eventually realized living that way, denying the truth inside, was not going to work and not going to make me happy.

It's better to accept yourself and acknowledge the truth inside, whether you "come out" to others or not. You can figure out how and when and to whom to come out to, when it's right for you.

I'm sorry Kirk Cameron's so opposed to gay people and thinks it's "unnatural" and all.

If it was so unnatural, then why did I first start really noticing it at 11, and why did kids tease or bully me about it before that age? I grew up in a good, church-going Christian home and I was a "good boy," but I was still just as gay (and just as unsure what to make of that when I started noticing) as any other gay boy ever was. The thing is, of course, that if we get an upbringing that doesn't tell us we're wrong, sinful, unnatural, and all that, then we actually can grow up comfortable in our own skin about it, with other people who are equally comfortable showing that love.

Sorry, Kirk. You may believe something, but it doesn't mean it is true or you are right. -- I would suggest instead, rereading the passages about love for others, and perhaps Jesus' comments to the Ethiopian eunuch, or about love and respect for others, whether you agree with them or not.

He likely wouldn't know what to make of Graeme's story, New Brother, with its quote of a few Bible passages. I think I'm due to reread Graeme's story.