The Secrets of NOM Exposed (National Organization for Marriage)

NOM is the front group in the fight of religious and social conservatives against marriage equality. They helped pass Prop 8 in California, and helped pass similar measures in Maine and several other states. In Delaware, Maryland and any state where marriage equality comes up, they are up there and testifying about the evils of gay marriage. Today we got a peek behind the curtain of their strategies thanks to Maine's disclosure laws:

http://www.hrc.org/nomexposed/entry/must-read#.T3FOROziQ3g\

“The strategic goal of this project is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks—two key Democratic constituencies. Find, equip, energize and connect African American spokespeople for marriage, develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots…”

Lest they be forgotten, Latinos were also part of the strategy:

"The Latino vote in America is a key swing vote, and will be so even more so in the future, both because of demographic growth and inherent uncertainty: Will the process of assimilation to the dominant Anglo culture lead Hispanics to abandon traditional family values? We must interrupt this process of assimilation by making support for marriage a key badge of Latino identity - a symbol of resistance to inappropriate assimilation."

Those are great splash headlines - but dig into the document itself and you see the broader scope. I was going to quote from the document but it seems to be doing something screwy. Look at page 11 of the document linked above. There you will see their strategy for 2012 included targeting for repeal marriage rights in New Hampshire and Iowa. As you might be aware, the vote in New Hampshire happened last week. The final vote there was 211-116 to kill the repeal bill. Another vote for a voter referendum on the issue failed 162-188. In Iowa, Democrat Liz Mathis won a special election to the state Senate, guaranteeing a 26-24 Dem Majority and the bill to repeal that state's marriage laws was dropped due to the 26-24 split in the Senate. (In New Hampshire the Governor threatened to veto any law that passed and Republicans joined Democrats in voting to kill the repeal bill).

On page 12, we see more of their strategy with focus on a $6 million dollar campaign to repeal marriage in D.C. They pledged $2 million of their funds were pledged for that purpose. Also on this page they delve into how much money they put in to the 2010 election to specifically attempt to defeat the pro-gay marriage Lynch (who won despite their efforts) and their attempts to get opponents of gay marriage elected (successfully enough to get them to introduce the marriage repeal bill after they got elected).

Reading pages 19-21 we see them lay out their strategy on what I call "cultural indoctrination". Pages 21 and 22 lay out their strategy for influencing young people by holding debates, conferences, and speakers to 'train' young people to oppose gay marriage. It's a direct strategy that is very dangerous and can fly below the radar if not directly confronted. Thank back to A-H school district and their 'neutrality' policy on sexuality. These are the breeding grounds they want to create nationwide.

At the bottom of Page 24 is the part that strikes closest to home for me. It is titled:

Behind Enemy Lines: Document the Victims - Keeping Gay Marriage Controversial in Massachussetts, Vermont and Connecticut

What does this mean? It means they funded $120,000 to, among other things seek out children of gay parents to speak about the horror of growing up in a gay household.

After nearly three years of having people say organizations like NOM are well-intentioned and just about 'defending traditional values', it's interesting seeing the scope and intent of their efforts laid out in black and white text. It isn't about traditional marriage, it's about making dividing the country to acheive their agenda, about demonizing gay people, and making social issues the primary agenda of people they help get elected. When you hear about opponents to gay marriage pushing one agenda or another - these people are likely behind it.

Wow! We need broad dissemination of this information. I don't know how could best be achieved, but this information getting wide release would certainly made a difference.

It is offensive to me, and should be to anyone reading it. It's like they are intentionally spreading a cancer into our political and social systems.

C

The driving force behind NOM reads like a who's who in the Christian right. It is no suprise that a fundamentally religious bunch have formed a non-profit to raise cash to interfere with state governments. Perhaps documents like this are necessary to push these people off the cliff and get their tax exempt status changed. NOM is in the business of spreading fear to the ignorant, while those with knowledge see them for what they really are...bastards all.

The NOM information was on the web earlier today with most gay sites at least referring to the HRC having released the NOM documents.

NOM is a enemy of the people, of the state and certainly, of the values it claims to represent.

Sadly, Cole, I think the NOM people believe that they have a 'get out of jail free, card' simply because their actions and methods are based on the 'traditional values' of their interpretation of their religion.

However, the revelation of the documents will certainly encourage many people to have second thoughts on NOM's integrity, and that is worthwhile in itself.

I came across this site today: http://louisjmarinelli.com/posts/nom-strategy-docs-release

Louis Marinelli is every campaign/organization's nightmare: trusted employee/volunteer turns and reveals what they know. Honest campaigns get mostly embarrassing crap aired publicly, but what this guy is revealing is devastating to NOM in that it shows their true agenda and backs up everything else that is becoming public.

When people talk about groups like NOM as being 'pro-traditional values' and 'not really anti-gay', remember all the stuff that has come out - the true agenda is coming through loud and clear.

Wow, if the Human Rights Campaign got hold of this, it's bound to make national headlines. Good for them.

I'd love to find out who's doing the funding behind the so-called National Organization for Marriage. Very interesting stuff on this group on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Organization_for_Marriage

There are dozens of theologians like you describe Brit. Very few actually listen to them and the vast majority of american population don't want to hear what they have to say. Some do listen to them, and one of them made decent progress with Jerry Falwell towards the end of that man's life, but it never really changed anything.

For some reason people don't like liberals telling them what the bible means, only conservatives.

Edit to add: Reading over the above, it sounded a lot more dismissive than I intended. Gay friendly clergy provide a place of safety, good guidance, love, and acceptance for gay people of faith. Their impact outside of our community is far less than what we could all wish it would be.

I understand what you are saying DK, but it is difficult to not to be somewhat angry with the GOP

Friendly conservatives need to be encouraged to speak out, and we should acknowledge their support.

I think your statement, Rick, that "most of America has some religious leanings," is probably true. 'Most' means more than half, and while I have no statistics to back that up, it sounds right.

I will say we're hearing a lot of noise right now because of the political campaigns from the far right, conservative Christian elements in our country. The do not speak for the masses, or the majority of Americans. I've seen numbers, and they vary all over the map, but I'd guess the number of conservative, evangelical Christians in America is somewhere around 20% of the population. And certainly it's a minority of that minority that are outspoken loudmouths.

Why that small number has such a loud, strident and unpleasant voice, I have no idea. Perhaps it relates to the fact they let someone else do their thinking for them and so never have to be personally ashamed of what they say, as it's someone else's words. Therefore, they can proclaim it as loudly as they wish.

Most Americans are more moderate, in their politics and beliefs. Many of us are embarrassed about the outlandish statements from this minority and their insensitive, boorish behavior, much as you guys must be about your football hooligans. I guess in both countries, it's legal to be jerks.

C

C

Cole,

There's a poll for that...http://www.gallup.com/poll/114022/state-states-importance-religion.aspx

Being a person that works in politics as a campaign consultant, I read polls and help conduct them like mad. (In fact before writing this post I just finished sendin a file off to be matched to phone files from list sellers in preparation for doing a poll in Utah). From this poll we see 65% of Americans saying religion is an important part of their lives - that's a lot. While there is a lot of correlation between the map further down showing levels of 'religosity' of various and maps of conservative areas they are not totally compatible. Some states like Nevada and Idaho have very low levels of religious participation but tend to lean conservative thanks to a heavy presence libertarian-leaning people who tend to not be religious. (Never forget Ayn Rand was an atheist).

More news on the NOM front: http://www.huffingto..._n_1391867.html

Not only did Mitt Romney support Prop 8, he gave $10,000 to one of the main organizations fighting to support that ballot measure - the National Organization for Marriage (NOM). As we've seen in above posts and links, these people are not all that nice.

Edit to add: When he made the donation, he laundered it through the PAC "Free and Strong America" in an attempt to hide the fact that he gave the money to NOM.