Definitions by DesDownunder

dude

Wow... I can't believe I missed this story back when it was new! Codey's World is featuring this week a Golden Oldie written by another Golden Oldie, Des himself. It's Definitions... I've just, read it this morning and highly recommend it! It was edited by Ben (Blue).

Mike

Thanks Mike, and thank you to Codey's World for featuring Definitions this week.

It might interest you to know that Codey didn't like my original title for this story, I can't remember what it was now; anyway Codey finally agreed that Definitions "would work." So that's how it got its title.

I should also reveal that there is one part of the story which is true. The trip to the public library was one I took at the age of 13 for the purposes revealed in the story.

The rest of the story is fiction.

If you haven't read the story, please do, and of course feedback is welcome...I'll sit here waiting. :allalone[1]:

It might interest you to know that Codey didn't like my original title for this story, I can't remember what it was now; anyway Codey finally agreed that Definitions "would work." So that's how it got its title.

If you haven't read the story, please do, and of course feedback is welcome...I'll sit here waiting. :allalone[1]:

I'm not surprised that Codey liked the title "Definitions" because that seems to be the theme in this story. It's about defining ourselves and others as well as others defining themselves and us. Back in the early days of CW, I was a hater of reading (still am for the most part) and am sure that this was one of those stories that Codey told me I had to read. Whenever he came across a story he really liked he'd try making me read it. He'd keep bugging me "have you read it yet, have you read it yet?" over and over until I'd finally give him one of my two stock answers. I would either say "yes" or I'd say say "sooner or later".

Codey felt strongly that the first step to acceptance was defining ourselves. This definition, we give ourselves, defines what we can accept and remain true to ourselves. Our self-definition sets the parameters for the relationships we have with those around us.

I have always had a need to assert my independence when under pressure from others. My self-definition, and love for him, would not allow me to lie to Codey and tell him I'd read something when I hadn't so "sooner or later" was my way of saying "no, and I'm not going to". In turn, Codey's self-definition and love for me let him accept my non-commital "sooner or later" and the matter would be dropped...at least until the next story I "had to read" came along.

What's this got to do with Des' great little story? Beats the Hell out of me! I guess today's my day to ramble.

Tim

Actually Tim, I think your rambling has everything to do with my story. Codey liked to help authors and he certainly inspired me to write. I am forever grateful to him for that, and for his friendship. He also reminded me, that it is possible to learn from others. no matter the age differences that might exist.

:hug: